Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

1979 Wings playing the Oilers on ESPN Classic

The game is Oct. 13, 1979 and has just started. WOW, the names! I know this team better than I know today's Wings team.

Dale McCourt, Pete Mahavolich, Barry Miller, Reed Larson...

Was McCourt the last captain before Yzerman? I don't recall. Maybe I should know that one.

I'm curious how many "true Red Wings fans" that are 40 or older know any of the players on this team. It seems if they are true fans - and not bandwagon fans - they should know these people pretty well.

That was a fun game to watch. So many names. Back in that time my dad used to set up a small black and white TV next to our regular one and watch HNIC and the Wings, either on 20 or 50.

I saw Frank Mahavolich at Border's selling a book. Just sitting there with some guy at a table waiting for anyone to come up.

holygoat,

Thanks for the answer.

Oblong,

I loved watching what I could do too. It really brought me back to my Hockey Night in Canada days as well - even though it was Edmonton and not the typical Maple Leafs. I was having fun watching the game but had to leave to go see the Pistons game. It was kind of tough to leave the TV.