ToledoTigerFan

A handy comparison guide to last year

For comparison's sake, I wondered what date it was last year when the Tigers won their 7th game and found a game-to-game rundown of last year. It was May 7th against the Orioles when the Tigers won their 7th game. They didn't hit double figures in wins until May 22nd against the Tribe. Their record at the All Star break was 25-67, meaning they won all of 18 games post-All Star break. I'm going to try to update this periodically just to keep track of notable victory milestones this year when compared to last year. It is possible, if not conceivable, that the Tigers will exceed last years win total before the All Star break. Remember, ya gotta believe!

The info I used can be found here, which is baseball-almanac.com.

An additional note.....the season started earlier last year(March 31st) making the 7-wins on April 17th milestone even more impressive.

TigerWins.gif

A simply little graph comparing last year to this year so far. I'll try and update periodically and post.

An update........I hate counting my chickens before they're hatched, but I'm going to put tonight's game in the win column now. Tonight will be win number 10. The Tigers didn't win number 10 last year until May 22nd in their 45th(45th!!) game. Last year on April 23rd they had already played 19 games; this year 17.

I'll repeat it again.......ya gotta believe!!

TTF, good thread, keep it going.

ya gotta believe !!!!!!!

Motor City Mashers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Win number 11 last year came in their 46th game on May 23rd against the White Sox(3-2). This year it came on April 24th against those lovable Indians.

As of right now the Tigers have completed 11.1% of their schedule and have already won 25.6% of the number of games they did last year.

If you don't believe yet, what are you waiting for?? Ya gotta believe!!

That's 1/4 the wins in 1/9 the season, for those of you troubled by decimals. Unbelievable. So very nice.

Originally posted by cruzer1

I think this thread deserves pinnage...:dead:

I agree, but I lack the immense power that would require. I think it dropped to the third or fourth page; I lost count. I'll give another update on the next Tigers win. Hopefully, tomorrow.

Win #13 last year came on May 26th against the Indians(6-5). This year, win #13 came on May 1st with a beautifully-played game that didn't happen at all last year.

Last year, the Tigers had 14 wins at the conclusion of May. It would be real sweet to get win #14 tomorrow and further exorcize the ghost of '03.

Last year, win number 15 came on June 3rd!! with a 3-2 victory over the Padres. The Tigers had just 19 wins on June 30th last year and 28 on July 31st.

It is possible, with a nice hot streak, that the Tigs could exceed the July 31st figure before this month is out. If the pitching could get the team ERA to around the 4.80- 5.00 mark during the rest of this month, they will do that. If it stays around the 6.00 mark, as it is now, they won't.

after 31 games in 03 the Tigers were 6-25 and had scored 87 runs to opponents 158 runs.

This year they are 15-16 with 187 runs scored allowing 193 runs.

They didnt score run #187 until game 60 last year on their way to 591 runs.

They scored run #200 in game 65 last year.

On a side not the Tigers were 19-18 in one run games last year or it would be a lot worse. They were 24-101 in games decided by 2 runs or more.

Win number 17 last year came on June 14th with a 9-7 victory over the Rockies. The Tigers have now won 40% of the number of games they won last year through just 22% of the schedule. They are still on line to exceed last years win total sometime in July. If they pick up the pace a bit, it could come early in July. If they continue at a near-.500 pace, it will come in mid-to-late July.

This looks like it's going to be relevant, at least until they exceed 43 wins. Could someone pin this or teach me how to pin this to the top? I'm sure it ain't above my intellect. We've had far less interesting topics get pinned to the top.

Win #18 today. Last year, win number 18 came on June 20th with a 7-5 win over the Rockies. They then went on a downward spiral and didn't win number 19 until June 30th. If I had a million dollars, I'd bet it that they'll win number 19 before that date this year. The Tigs have already won 42% of the number of games they won last year through just 23% of the schedule.

A new update. Last night was win number 21. Last year, win number 21 came on July(yes, July) 5th against the Royals by a score of 9-5. The Tigers have now won 49% of the number of games they won last year through just 26% of the schedule.

It's time to take the ghost of last year off of life support. He's as good as dead.

OK, finally found this thread. Win number 25 today in game number 55. Last year, the Tigers didn't win their 25th game until July 13th with a 3-0 win over the Red Sox. The Tigs have now won 58% of the total number of games they won last year through 34% of the schedule. They have slowed down quite a bit and, barring an extended hot streak, won't exceed last years win total before the All-Star break, but will almost certainly exceed last years win total sometime shortly after the break.

Originally posted by ToledoTigerFan

They have slowed down quite a bit and, barring an extended hot streak, won't exceed last years win total before the All-Star break, but will almost certainly exceed last years win total sometime shortly after the break.

They would have to go 19-13 to top last year's win total by the break. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Better chance they'll have 44 wins by the end of July.

An update to my silly little thread. The Tigers now have 28 wins. Last year, win number 28 came on July 26 against the Royals(5-1). It's way too early to count a win for tonight, but should the Tigers win tonight they will be into August ahead of last year. Number 29 last year did not come until August 2nd.

An additional comparison. The Tigers now have 32 losses and last year they lost number 32 on May 18th.

I would love to have this pinned as well, it is aweome to see how far ahead of last seasons pace this team is.

I'd like this pinned too but we can at least keep it close to the top by replying a lot. Send emails to Motown Web Guy I suppose.

I'm bored today so I'll do the update. LOL

Win number 42 Sunday in game number 87. Last year, the Tigers didn't win their 42nd game until September 27 with a 9-8 win over the Twins. The Tigs have now won 98% of the total number of games they won last year through 54% of the schedule. Look for win 43 to tie last year's total, this coming weekend, with a possibility of 44 in the same series, topping last years total.