Sign in to follow this  
MotownWebGuy

Felipe Alou Watch

Okay, how long will Filipe Alou stay with the Tigers? From what I have read, he has a one year contract with the Tigers with an option to get out of it at any time if a managing job is available to him. The Brewers have reportedly fired Davey Lopes, so Alou could be a canidate. Do you think he will be here the entire year or leave at some point for a better opportunity? What effect could that have on the team IF it where to happen?

Filipe Alou will definitely be here for the rest of the season, bet the house on it. This is the same guy who stuck it out in Montreal out of loyalty even when Murdoch was courting him to LA, and his bottomless pockets.

What opportunities can Milaukee offer that he isn't getting in Detroit? Sure they could offerhim a long term deal to manage, sooething that Detroit wasn't going to do - but I think Alou will hold out for a better situation. I do believe that Alou has designs to manage again in the big leagues, which is why he turned down the 2nd and 3rd years of a deal that would have made him special assistant to the GM fo rthe Tigers as well.

Truth be told, you don't hire a long term Manager in the middle of the season( Sparky was the exception). Teams are not going to allow you to interview mambers of their staff, which is usually hwere one turns when hunting for a new manager. Dombrowski knew this, which is why Puljos got the one year "try-out"-and nothing more. Boston reportedly offered the skipper job to Alou last season, but offered nothing past the remainder of the season, and Alou wanted certain securities.

Alou signing on for 3 yrs would have been inferred that he was the managerial choice in the long run and Puljos was the tokken skipper; was Alou's puppet. Alou and Puljos are frields, and he isn't going to screw over a friend like that - especially in his first stint as manager.

At the end of the season Dave Dombrowski will evaluate the season and evaluate the job Puljos did or didn't do and decide where to go from there. Oaklands bench coach will be highly coveted and will be high on Mr. Dowbrowski's list if he decides to look elsewhere for the Tigers next manager.

However I do find it curious that Alou, Puljos, McCatty and the rest of the on-field brain trust are putting together a manual that is to be used by all levels in the organization on how a "Tiger" should apporach and play baseball. Unless the manual is going to preach widely accepted baseball principals I don't understand why one would allow a bunch of one year contracts to design a potential long term blue print for the future for your ball club.

I think the Felipe is not going to leave for a job like the brewers, he is old and he wants to win, not go to another horrible team. I think he will only leave if a top team wants him, like a Boston. He will only go if he has the chance to win within the next 2 - 3 year. Obviously this is just my opinion and I could be way off, but his age leads me to believe that. I think he is only here because of the flexability the Tigers gave him in being able to stay or go as he pleases...

Because hopefully that bundle will have stuff like:

Hitters should draw more walks

Pitchers should give up less walks

It has been a long time since those things were preached to the young guys in this organization.

I think that Dombrowski hopes that both Pujols and Alou stick with the team for more than just one year. If Pujols is with us next year, I'd expect Alou will be as well. If Pujols isn't, Alou will probably leave as well.

I think Alou will head for higher ground unless he sees something tremendous occur here, and they offer him a contract!

Basically, I think he's gone ASAP.