MelissaG915

No Jack -- then who?

JACK NOT BACK: Former Tigers ace Jack Morris has declined to become a minor league pitching coach for the club, a baseball source said Wednesday.

The Tigers' front office asked Morris if he would be interested in replacing Jeff Jones as pitching coach at Triple-A Toledo or Steve McCatty as pitching coach at Double-A Erie. Those jobs opened up last week when McCatty and Jones joined Luis Pujols' big-league staff.

Morris, according to the source, couldn't take either job because of prior commitments. When Morris served as a spring training instructor this season for the Tigers, he said he wasn't sure if he wanted to break into full-time coaching because of the time involved.

Tigers farm and scouting director Greg Smith said if the Tigers can't find a pitching coach for Toledo, the job might go for the rest of the season to Jon Matlack, the Tigers' roving minor-league pitching instructor.

-------------------------------------

As a major league club, I find it disheartening that there would be no eager candidates looking to take the Tigers farm club as a pet project, especially our most notable Tiger pitcher of the last 20 years.

So if not Jack, then who would you pick? Petry? Alexander? Some other recent retiree non-Tiger?

See if Roger Craig can work in a limited capacity...

I assume he's still alive.

I'm sure there are plenty of canidates out there interested in the job. Frankly I'm surprised they offered it to Morriss. He doesn't seem to be the best person to work with young players. Why does everyone assume that if you're a good player you'll be a good manager or coach. History tells us that most good managers were marginal players at best, maybe it's because the game didn't come naturally to them and they had to study and work harder to make themselves better so they know what it takes. Look at tsome of the great managers Sparky, Lasorda, Earl Weaver, Dick Williams, none these guys were ever great players.

I wonder if Frank Tanana is available or would be willing?

He went from an all-speed pitcher to a junkballer. Had his oustanding years, his good years and not-so-good years. He had his injuries and spans where he was healthy.

And every time I hear him talk about pitching the guy really seems to have a great ability to communicate what pitching is all about. And I think he still lives in Michigan.

I wonder if he'd get a few looks?

I went to a baseball camp in 10th grade and he was one of the guys there. Very knowledgable, at least to a sophmore.

I think he's still in Michigan. He's active in his church ministry.

I don't think Jack wanted to ride in a bus for 6 hours.

Why does everyone assume that if you're a good player you'll be a good manager or coach. History tells us that most good managers were marginal players at best,

I wonder what Fernando Arroyo is doing these days...

I agree with tanana nice guy. he spoke at my church last sunday seems like a nice guy and easy to get along with