Sign in to follow this  
MotownRandy

Point Guard?

Do you think that Chucky Atkins is the solution? I know he performed well in the playoffs. Whether he is or isn't the pistons still need to acquire a point guard either to back up or replace Atkins. Obviously, there are not many choices to replace Atkins. If Dumars could get Andre Miller then that would be great. I have heard he likes Jeff McInnis, but I heard McInnis wants to start. How do you choose between Chucky Atkins and Jeff McInnis? They are both quality players, but they are not really good enough to win a championship are they? I think it would be best to trade for Miller. There is nobody worth shopping for in free agency so wait until next year. Make one big move and call it an offseason.

Guest E.J. Smith

Personally, I would like to see the Pistons go after Jeff McInnis and Raef LeFrentz to solidify the front court. Raef is simply an illusion as I'm pretty confident he wil re-up with Dallas. Chucky's a back-up, nothing more, in my book in a three guard rotation after watching Andre Miller and Baron Davis abuse him in the regular season and Kenny Anderson and Tony Delk abuse him in the playoffs. Chucky's a below-average defender, he can't penetrate although his outside shot is pretty good. He's also an average distributor. Chucky was capable of some big outbursts but he was simply too weak against above-average guards most nights.

I agree that Chucky is a back up, although he did play quite well last year. When it comes to winning a championship, I just dont believe he can run the team. Andre Miller is the best option and I really believe it is possible, so Dumars should get it done. I forgot to mention another option is Chauncy Billups.

Guest E.J. Smith

Absolutely Andre Miller although I read somewhere that he was headed elsewhere. It makes you feel real bad for the Cavs considering that the last time they had an arguable shot at anything was when they had Craig Ehlo and Brad Daugherty.

Guest E.J. Smith

Chauncey Billups was a surprise. He's been decent with the T'wolves and he's a much better defender than Chucky so it's an improvement. His contract doesn't seem to be a big cap hit so we'll see who else (if anybody) Joe D. goes after.

It looks like it will be Chauncey Billups. Every time I hear his name I think of that movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers.

Anyway, moving on...Billups averaged seven assists a game last year. That's what we need. I think Chucky could be a good weapon off the bench, with his streaky shooting.

I like the idea of Billups, Atkins, Stack, Barry, and MAYBE Damon Jones as the guards on this team. That's some pretty good shooting from deep.

If Okur can shoot, and Rodney is ready this year, we could have some serious offense.

This is from ESPN and I also heard it on Sportscenter:

Andy Miller, representative of free-agent point guard Chauncey Billups, told the Timberwolves that Billups would opt out of his contract. Instead, on July 17, Billups is expected to sign a six-year, $35-million contract with the Pistons, the Detroit News reported July 9. Miller would not discuss details of the deal, but he said Billups' visit with the Pistons "was productive and he felt very comfortable with Detroit." Pistons players were excited by the news -- even Chucky Atkins, who probably would lose his starting spot to Billups. "This makes us better," said Atkins, a former teammate of Billups when they were members of the Magic. "Whatever we have to do to make it to the Finals, that's what I want."

This sounds very good, even Chucky doesn't mind losing the starting job. He is correct, it does make us a better team.

C Cliff Robinson

PF Ben Wallace

SF Michael Curry?

SG Jerry Stakchouse

PG Chauncey Billups

Bench:

Corliss Williamson

Chucky Atkins

Jon Barry

Mehmet Okur

Zelly Rebraca

Rodney White

Tashaun Prince

Is there room for all of these guys? Do you think Dumars will attempt to get more front court help or is this enough? I thought they might need another body inside to help Ben with the rebounding. Appears that maybe Michael Curry is running out of a role for this team...unless he retires and becomes an assistant coach. Obviously whoever said "Damon Jones" doesnt understand that with Billups probably signing that means Jones is not coming back. I dont think Dumars will really spend much this offseason because he wants to save in case he can get someone next year when the market is much better.

I've been disputing Michael Curry's role w/the team for awhile..

Yeah, he isn't flashy, however, he's more revered as a leader.. Yeah, he did turn it up a notch against the Celtics by scoring w/more frequency than usual and he's decent defensively, but I believe they should start Williamson in favor of him and Curry and I agree w/you, he should just become an assistant coach.....

Mikki Moore is still under contract and I cant figure out why Rick Sund gave them that his extension just based upon one-career yr... Yeah, he was their only 7'0 player at the time, but he's never bulked up and is easily pushed around... I would keep

Varda as the 13th player and activate him if Robinson and Rebraca sustained any injuries....

Cardinal is good as a practice player, but notting else.... I believe Jone's contract demands will be too high just to be the 4th guard, so most likely they'll just take someone from their Rookie Squad (which is playing now in FL) or even try to sign Barros for a minimal contract....

Keeping Varda would be ideal since he along w/Okur can occupy the void once Robinson decides to retire... White/Prince will replace Barry respectively when he does the same....

Regardless, Dumars has done an impressive job in overcoming the errors that were made during the Doug Collins/Rick Sund eras and they could possibly win 50+ again and advance even further in the play-offs this up-n-coming season....

Chucky really took his game to a new level during the second half of last year, but the jury's up on that. I think bringing in Billups would be a very good move. Having Chucky play 16-20 minutes a game would be a strong role for him and, who knows, if we have injuries that would give us another quailty guy off the bench.

I thought Curry was a much better offensive player for us during his first stint with the Pistons when he came off the bench. He had a quick first step to the basket that I really liked and never really saw last year (but a handful of times). I think he understood his role with the starting five. Even though it wasn't a very explosive offensive starting five he really wasn't expected to score. Defense was key.

I think there's still a role for him on this team as a player - as a starter or a reserve - at least for another season.

Do you guys think Billups is a better fit in Detroit than Jeff McGinnis? ESPN said detroit would be a good team for the former clippers guard.

Guest E.J. Smith

I like Jeff McInnis better but then who am I to question Joe D.'s logic?

Michael Curry has "assistant coach" written all over him. That's why Grant Hill wanted him back in '00. Michael shuld remain with the Pistons in some capacity just for the respect he gets from the players.

McInnis is more a scorer, which is what the Pistons have now in Atkins. Billups will play more of a pass-first game, which is what the backcourt needs.

I believe obtaining Billups benefits the Pistons more than settling for McCinnis is because Chauncey is more of a 2-way guard and can shoot for everywhere for the most part... And he proved himself capable defensively in the play-offs.... Also, he's younger and I believe is taller than McCinnis....

W/Chauncey being more versatile, the Pistons could create several match-up probs w/different looks in their rotation... On certain nites they can go to a taller line-up by inserting both Rebraca/Okur in the starting line-up or if the oppostion is guard oriented, they could counter w/even putting in Billups and Atkins along w/Stackhouse....

Atkins being 5'10 just gets smothered too easily by most other guards and as DTroppens pointed-out, his ideal role would be off the bench... He essentially could become the '02 version of the

"Micro-Wave"... Putting him in towards the end of each half would give him fresher legs and that would be another advantage..

But all-and-all, this is the deepest roster the Pistons have had in 10 seasons and I believe they'll advance to the finals....

It's a deep roster but I really think we need to make some clear cut moves to improve.

When a team overachieves and has great chemistry it never lasts a second year. Plus it was obvious this team has some clear holes with the squad yet.

Watching Atkins handling the ball against the Celtics was pretty brutal in the playoffs. Just for that fact we need to look elsewhere for a PG.

What I'm fearing though is we've created a great regular-season team but not necessarily a playoff team. With our depth and quality players we can beat teams because they can't just focus on the Pistons with other games to play.

As a lot of us discussed before the playoffs last year many of us didn't think that would translate into playoff success. Right now that's still a concern for next year.

But folks isn't it great to know we have something to talk about here in the Pistons forum?

Last year was a complete surprise for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now that it's a few months in the past, I think I appreciate what that team did even more now than then.

What a great ride that 2001-02 season was!:)

I believe that 1 player will determine the Pistons fate this yr and it's not too obvious on who it is...

Rodney White must continue honing his game (like he has this off-season and down in FL this wk), because if he can become a capable 2-man, he would provide dimension of another scorer, so Williamson wouldn't be constantly double-teamed (especially like he was vs. the Raptors and Celtics) and probably could take some burdens away from Barry, who forced the ball too many times up-and-down the court, which resulted in constant turn-overs and really attempted too many ill-advised shots....

Prince is essentially being groomed to replace Barry (once he retires), but I don't expect much from Teyshaun this yr....

I often wonder how much the Pistons would have faired better if Rebraca didnt sustain that injury... The Pistons missed his inside scoring presence and rebouding... Victor Alexander didnt play much of the yr, so he couldn't really make a difference in filling his void....

W/Okur, it gives them another interior player who could create mis-matches when he's on the court w/Robinson or Rebraca....

I wish Curry would retire as a player because he's detracting from the development of a younger player....

I began following the Pistons around the early-mid 80s and this rebuilding that Dumars has done vastly mirrors what

Jack McClouskey during that time... They already had Isiah, made those shrewd deals to bring Laimbeer and Johnson over and then drafted well w/Dumars, Rodman, and Salley and then added on Mahorn, Edwards and Aguirre (sp?) for the final pieces of the puzzle....

And w/the drafts of the past cpl yrs and the trades/FA signings Dumars made, I believe the BadBoy Days will be fully revived..

Plus, these players are a lot younger than the '89-'90 counterparts, which could make them even more into a dynasty once they finally win another championship....

Originally posted by KingLouieLouie76

And w/the drafts of the past cpl yrs and the trades/FA signings Dumars made, I believe the BadBoy Days will be fully revived..

Plus, these players are a lot younger than the '89-'90 counterparts, which could make them even more into a destiny once they finally win another championship....

I think you mean DYNASTY. :)

That's OK. I appreciate your optimism!

I think Dumars is doing things right. In the past we saw a team like Philly go to the finals, but then get rid of a bunch of guys in trades that they thought would make them better(derrick coleman?) but instead they barely made it into the playoffs. The pistons are keeping the team in tact and adding a few more parts. Or course, two are players that were drafted last year, but they should help out this season. And after reading your assessment of Billups compared to McInnis, it does make more sense to sign Billups. They already have a scoring point guard in Atkins, who is definately a great PG coming off the bench. I believe the Pistons should try to get another big body to help on the boards, but that could be Rebraca so if they sign Billups they could be done with roster movement...until next offseason

Well.. the '03 FA features a lot more marketable players, so some elite stars could be at the Pistons disposal... And w/them being under the cap, that would obviously put them at more of a favor to land someone of immense caliber.... I know I may be dreaming, but just imagine Tim Duncan adorning the Pistons uniform?

But yeah, Dumars has done addition w/out any subtraction, which is odd in sports today..... I believe that "big body" you referred to could be Varda... The criticism on him last yr was that he was inadequate in his understanding of English, but I hope he's improved in that regard.... If Mikki Moore could only bulk-up, he would also be a MAJOR plus, but that will never happen.....

I just thought of a solution that hasn't been discussed. I can play the point a little. All I'd ask for is the NBA minimum or even a few 10-day contracts.