Anthony

"I'd rather sit in the locker room than play in a (expletive) game like that"

Big Ben is pissed. I guess he really did not like that call last night:

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pcorn26_20040326.htm

Foul disparity steams team, Ben

March 26, 2004

BY PERRY A. FARRELL

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

SAN ANTONIO -- It's hard to imagine no fouls occuring in the first quarter of a game between two of the best teams in the league, but it happened Thursday night at the SBC Center.

In fact, San Antonio went the first 16:17 without committing a foul in the Pistons' 84-75 loss.

The Pistons were whistled for 23 fouls and the Spurs 15. San Antonio had just five fouls in the first half and went to the free throw line 14 times to the Pistons' five in taking a 42-38 halftime lead.

Add four technical fouls and Ben Wallace's ejection with 6:08 left in the fourth quarter, and the Pistons had a long flight back to Detroit after losing two straight games on the road.

"I'd rather sit in the locker room than play in a (expletive) game like that," Wallace said. "You watched the game. You saw what happened. Write it like you want to write it."

Said Richard Hamilton: "I don't think we even got in the penalty from the first quarter to the fourth. In the second half there were a couple of calls that could have went either way and they didn't go our way. We got more aggressive, they called some fouls, then we started turning the ball over a couple of times and they took advantage of that."

Chauncey Billups said the Pistons must start blocking out the discrepancy in calls.

"We have to find ways to get over that," Billups said. "We have to get past that. There's nothing we can do. We're going to see these refs in the playoffs and we have to find ways to block it out and keep playing.

"It gets repetitive. We come in here and talk about it's going to go both ways and it always goes the other way. I don't understand that."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the technicals got the crowd and his players into the game.

"Sometimes that helps you," said Popovich, who picked up a technical in the third quarter. "It was instantaneous. I didn't think to stop, I just jumped up."

When I was able to visually watch the game (the entire second half and about four minutes of the second quarter) I can say I really didn't think the game was poorly officiated. Now I should say I had to listen to the game on a staticy radio before that so I have no clue of the first 20 minutes. It would be unfair for me to comment on that.

I really dont like this. Who cares if it was a poorly officiated game, thats the breaks. You have to play through it. Officials will be bad, thats part of life in any sport. If a game is that bad, you play it, and have your team protest it to the league. You cant have Ben or someone else important getting tossed in a 7 game series, that could be a big break for the other team.

i dont think ben would have done this in a 7th game. i think he may have been making a point pre playoffs.

i wish we would have won but i do understand his frustration.

Chauncey is right -- the Pistons have to suck it up and play over the kind of crappy officiating they received against the Spurs. It happens. Just deal with it.

Originally posted by holygoat

Chauncey is right -- the Pistons have to suck it up and play over the kind of crappy officiating they received against the Spurs. It happens. Just deal with it.

I agree, the Pistons completely blew their cool against the Spurs. That's the way it goes, playing the world champs on their home court. You have the game, you have the crowd, you have the home court whistle. The Pistons that evenutally knocked of the Celtics and the Bulls that eventually knocked of the Pistons, got over these distractions. They are part of the challenge of getting to the top.