Sign in to follow this  
caseyo4

.500+ team?

Is it just me or are we 1 or 2 solid starting pitchers away from being a respectable team?

Originally posted by caseyo4

Is it just me or are we 1 or 2 solid starting pitchers away from being a respectable team?

Mark Prior and Pedro both healthy could it.

Originally posted by caseyo4

As GLevin said it would take two really good pitchers having a healthy good season for us to be above .500. The offense is improved but not by THAT much...

Originally posted by Glevin

Mark Prior and Pedro both healthy could it.

It probably wouldn't need to be them but it would have to be too pretty good ones and that's not a small thing.

Originally posted by estrepe1

As GLevin said it would take two really good pitchers having a healthy good season for us to be above .500. The offense is improved but not by THAT much...

I disagree about the offense. They were the worst in the AL last year by about 100 runs. They may be in the top 5 AL this year. Last years stats.

Month by Month

Split W L RS RA WP

March 0 1 1 3 0.000

April 3 20 54 124 0.130

May 11 18 103 133 0.379

June 5 22 95 159 0.185

July 9 17 96 145 0.346

August 6 23 125 194 0.207

September 9 18 117 170 0.333

<<I disagree about the offense. They were the worst in the AL last year by about 100 runs. They may be in the top 5 AL this year. Last years stats.>>

If they all stay healthy and Pena and Munson improve, it could be an above average offense. The problem is those are very big ifs. It would be a surprise if they didn't have a lot of injuries this year and one can only guess how much Pena and Munson will improve. Even with the injuries and only marginal improvement from the young players, they will have a much improved offense. Top 5 in A.L. will be tough to achieve though.

id be happy and suprised if we were right in the middle. I think we'll still be lower than that though. But definitely not last.

Oh, ye(all of ye) of little faith. Print those playoff tickets. Actually, since I'm referring to the Tigers and the Tigers are a religion, refer to them as Playoff Tickets. The greatest one-year turnaround is upon us. Comerica will become a true home for the Detroit Tigers.

I have faith, my friends. Tigers will be a contender for the division. Urbina wasnt brought in for trade bait at the trade deadline. Pena will improve, Inge will take over 3rd and his batting will continue to be good from spring training. Injuries will not plague us this year, my friends. This will be a healthy season for all. Higginson will regain his hitting touch, and Young will continue his hitting prowess from last season. All the nay sayers will come to the boards and glady say they were wrong, while joining in on the celebrations.

These are not facts, just my hope and faith for the Tigers this season.

well maybe I am optimistic but here are my reasons

C Pudge (best hitting catcher in the AL and probably majors)

1B Pena (should hit .250 with 25 homers about average)

2b Vina (.280 around average)

ss Guillen (.280 around average)

3b Munson (probably .240 with 20 homers...little below average)

lf White (.280 with 20 homers average)

cf Sanchez (.290 little below average)

rf Higginson (.280 with 16 homers average)

DH Young (.300 with 26 homers above average)

on the bench Monroe to spot White .260 with 20 homers vs LHP spot.

Come on everyone, admit it. You think that this team is a lot better than you are willing to publicly acknowledge - right now, without adding anyone else. You think they're a lock to win 75 games, but you're afraid that if you say so, the rest of us will grab you and hold you down on the ground; and then one us of will pull up the front of your shirt, and slap your tummy until it turns bright pink. Then we'll take off your pants and throw them up in a tree.

Originally posted by Charles Liston

Come on everyone, admit it. You think that this team is a lot better than you are willing to publicly acknowledge - right now, without adding anyone else. You think they're a lock to win 75 games, but you're afraid that if you say so, the rest of us will grab you and hold you down on the ground; and then one us of will pull up the front of your shirt, and slap your tummy until it turns bright pink. Then we'll take off your pants and throw them up in a tree.

I've said 70-75 wins for 2004 all along.... now that the Tigers have Urbina, I think he's worth an additional 5 wins or so... so I'm saying 75-80. If they pick up an another starting pitcher, I'll say they could be a .500 team or have a winning record. I'm feeling extremely optomistic about this team now and it should be the funnest season to watch for our Tigers in many years.

Originally posted by Charles Liston

I honestly don't think so and in my opinion that's not pessimism but realism. My guess is 65-68 wins, 70 more would be a huge success.

I don't see how Urbina alone adds five wins. But don't get me wrong, I'm happy to admit that I was wrong if the Tigers really win 75 or more. :classic:

C Pudge (best hitting catcher in the AL and probably majors)

hmmm...actually he's probably not even the best hitting catcher in the american league.

you also quote a lot of average offense while failing to acknowledge that it's very injury prone.

now that the Tigers have Urbina, I think he's worth an additional 5 wins or so

i don't think the best relievers in the league account for 5 wins in a given season!!! i mean you're talking about a lot of value there.

i guess it's fairly common knowledge but i think a lot of things need to go right for this team to have a shot at .500 - be it near exemplary health, notable improvement from each of: pena, munson, bonderman and cornejo (or maroth), young needs to come put up career-type season...i just don't see it happening. imo detroit's a 70 win team (+/- a few games).

Originally posted by lionstigersand...

i don't think the best relievers in the league account for 5 wins in a given season!!! i mean you're talking about a lot of value there.

We can discuss this all day and I'll still be wrong (I most usually am), but my theory is, Urbina will at least 5 games that would have been lost by any other of the Tiger relievers. That's what I mean by him being worth 5 more wins. Probably doesn't make any sense to anyone else, because it makes sense to me.

Oh the offense is improved and they will score more runs this year, my guess is that they will be around the middle of the pack in scoring runs when all is said and done. Not too bad but not top 5 in the league.

This team to me is a 68-73 win team depending on whether certain things fall their way or not.

Originally posted by Motor City Sonics

A lot of those 9-2 losses from last year will be 9-7 losses this year.

MCS...you got to have more faith than that. The pitching has improved also. Instead of those 9-2 losses being 9-7 losses, they should only be 8-7 losses this year.(LOL)

I have hope for the young starters. They started out the season OK last year and then all of them self-destructed after the all-star break. Maybe with a season's worth of experience they can make some adjustments and pitch better than last year.

I think the offense can be competitive at least against AL Central teams. They don't have the bats like the Yankees or Mariners but I think they can score some runs. I think Young needs to come up with a big season again. At times last year he carried the team.

The potential for injury is what worries me most. If some key players are injured for long periods, this team will be in big trouble. There is nobody at the AAA level who can step in and replace the production that would be lost to an injury.

I have hope for Bonderman and Cornejo - if he can improve his k-rate. I'm sceptical about Maroth and about whoever will be the fifth starter. It's simply not enough for a .500 team.

Originally posted by Tigers2156

I think Maroth will do alright, people look too much into his 20 loses last season.

I agree... also look for more improvement from Maroth now that Pudge is at catcher.

Originally posted by Tigers2156

I think Maroth will do alright, people look too much into his 20 loses last season.

It's more the 34 HR allowed in one of the hardest parks to hit HRs that is worrisome. The Tigers' starters also didn't strike out anyone.

Originally posted by lionstigersand...

hmmm...actually he's probably not even the best hitting catcher in the american league.

Hmm ... Baseball Prospectus thinks he'll be the best hitting catcher in the majors next season by their predictions. Posada and Lopez are older than him and had career years playing in some of the best offenses in the game.