Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I suppose it is time we started this years thread.

I don't think a date has been set for the draft yet.

This site usually has great draft analysis and it is free.  Pretty empty for 2021 stuff so far though.

https://www.thestepien.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

The last mock ESPN did.

1. MIN - Cade Cunningham

2. CLE - Evan Mobley

3. NYK - Jalen Green

4. ORL - Jalen Suggs

5. DET - Jonathan Kuminga

6. WAS - Jalen Johnson

7. CHI - Keon Johnson

8. OKC - Ziaire Williams

9. SAC - Sharife Cooper

10. CHA - Corey Kispert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Suggs is a great fit next to Hayes as both guys need the ball to be most effective on offense.  I would not hesitate to take Suggs though as the Pistons took a big flyer on Hayes and I am a fan of Suggs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would probably be one of the worst shooting backcourts in the entire league.

Also, you don't win from the PG position.  Outside of Steph, what PG has lead his team to a title lately?  Spending two consecutive drafts on a PG is a waste.  Two drafts on PGs that cant shoot is even worse.

Give me the big wing with the massive wingspan and ability to handle the ball.  Kuminga fits the mold of what I want physically.  6'8" 225 pounds 7 foot wingspan.  Agile, quick, explosive, and strong.  Should be fun watching him and see if his basketball skills match the body.

The Ignite team plays again on Friday at 3PM.  I believer it is on ESPNU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Schmitz does a good job with these.

Here is a link to the playlist of the ones he has done so far this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scouting G League’s Ignite: Jonathan Kuminga stars, Daishen Nix impresses

Quote

With apologies to Green, all of the intel out of the Ignite team camp has been that Kuminga has looked like the best prospect. He looked the best in their scrimmages and in practices in Walnut Creek. And with legitimate NBA size at about 6-foot-8, with a 7-foot-plus wingspan and a terrific frame, he looks to have the most upside for what the NBA is looking for as a big wing initiator. This is why, if you listen to the Game Theory Podcast, he’s been the guy I’ve been most excited to talk about.

To top that off, all of the reports I’ve gotten about Kuminga’s work ethic have been stellar. One source told me Kuminga was doing three-a-day workouts to prepare for the G League bubble out in the Bay Area, working with personal trainers as well as the ones provided by the G League. He takes his career seriously and wants to be great.

Given that, I was unsurprised to see Kuminga was the most impressive prospect on the court in the opening game. He scored 19 points on 9-of-18 from the field, plus had four assists, two rebounds and two blocks. He was all over the place athletically, showcasing just how elite his projectability is from that standpoint. It’s hard to find guys who are this big and long, who have this level of quickness and who have this much body control. Early on, he showed some real mismatch nightmare tendencies. He had three possessions where he took a smaller guy onto the block and scored either by going around or shooting over the top. Coach Brian Shaw clearly tried to get him involved early by running sets for him there. He got to show off that combination of dexterity and quickness in the fast break on a couple of possessions. But the plays that excited scouts most were a pair of half-court drives late where Kuminga was able to set up his defender, self-create a driving lane and score.

He goes on to talk about his jumper.  He said in the past the shot has looked robotic and not very fluid.  He said yesterday the shot looks much better in terms of rhythm and process of getting into it.  Of course he shot 1-7 from three so the results aren't quite there yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Isaiah Todd the kid who had committed to Michigan?  

In that article a scout said there is no way he would draft Todd right now.  He said he does not look ready for pro basketball.

Vecenie said he has Todd outside of his top 80 prospects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN has developed an NBA BPI metric, according to that metric the Pistons are actually only the 9th worst team in the league this year. 

ESPN says this is the best record predicting metric they have,  let's hope it doesn't hold true or else we could be looking at yet another mid to late lottery pick instead of a top 3 one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Isn't Isaiah Todd the kid who had committed to Michigan?  

In that article a scout said there is no way he would draft Todd right now.  He said he does not look ready for pro basketball.

Vecenie said he has Todd outside of his top 80 prospects.  

yup.

he should have gone to michigan to play under the great juwan howard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kuminga and Green were both impressive today.

Kuminga will end up as the #2 pick and possibly challenge Cade for #1 if he continues to play like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, Buddha said:

yup.

he should have gone to michigan to play under the great juwan howard!

He'd probably be riding the pine.  He's not even listed in ESPN's latest mock draft.  I don't know what kind of player development the G League provides.  Do they play hard on defense?  Has anybody watched any games?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way should he have gone to Michigan.  If you don't make it from the G-League Select team you weren't going to make it from Michigan.  

The Select team provides better everything.  Better coaching, better conditioning, better education or at least more tailored to these guys since they teach life skills. You don't have to play school, you are not limited by the dumb 20 hour per week rule.  

You are also playing much better competition.  Michigan probably plays a pretty tough schedule and will face some talented individuals.  But I bet 99% of the players they play against never step foot on a professional basketball court.  The G-League is made up of that 1% who are good enough to play pro.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was not a shot at Howard.  I think he is a fantastic coach and one of the few college guys who could jump to the NBA.  It is a comment about college coaching in general.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

No way should he have gone to Michigan.  If you don't make it from the G-League Select team you weren't going to make it from Michigan.  

The Select team provides better everything.  Better coaching, better conditioning, better education or at least more tailored to these guys since they teach life skills. You don't have to play school, you are not limited by the dumb 20 hour per week rule.  

You are also playing much better competition.  Michigan probably plays a pretty tough schedule and will face some talented individuals.  But I bet 99% of the players they play against never step foot on a professional basketball court.  The G-League is made up of that 1% who are good enough to play pro.  

Is it really much better competition?  The only other guy I know of in the G league besides the lottery picks you mentioned is Zavier Simpson, plus Isaiah Todd.  Granted, Zavier Simpson is probably still a top half Big Ten player.  But the style of game is different in college and that pack line defense that college coaches play really forces kids to test the limits of their versatility in scoring.  There is a lot of value in that, even if that is not what you are going to see in the NBA. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hart said:

Is it really much better competition?  The only other guy I know of in the G league besides the lottery picks you mentioned is Zavier Simpson, plus Isaiah Todd.  Granted, Zavier Simpson is probably still a top half Big Ten player.  But the style of game is different in college and that pack line defense that college coaches play really forces kids to test the limits of their versatility in scoring.  There is a lot of value in that, even if that is not what you are going to see in the NBA. 

 

It isn't even close IMO.  

Gonzaga is considered one of the best college teams in the country.  They have a possible top 5 pick and another borderline lottery pick on their roster.  Drop them in the G-League and they struggle.  Why?  Because they have 8-10 rotation players who have no shot at ever making the G-League or a big European/Asian league.  

Flip it another way with Gonzaga.  This week their three opponents are The San Francisco Dons, St Mary's Gaels, and the San Diego Toreros.  How many kids from those three teams will be on a G-League roster next year?  

Go to the latest podcast from Vecenie and listen to what he says about the G-League talent.  Starts at the 6m45s mark.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/game-theory-podcast/episode/kuminga-green-nix-todd-debut-in-the-g-league-springer-johnson-breakout-81616093

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

No way should he have gone to Michigan.  If you don't make it from the G-League Select team you weren't going to make it from Michigan.  

The Select team provides better everything.  Better coaching, better conditioning, better education or at least more tailored to these guys since they teach life skills. You don't have to play school, you are not limited by the dumb 20 hour per week rule.  

You are also playing much better competition.  Michigan probably plays a pretty tough schedule and will face some talented individuals.  But I bet 99% of the players they play against never step foot on a professional basketball court.  The G-League is made up of that 1% who are good enough to play pro.  

if he went to michigan he might actually get a degree and then have a better chance of doing something if he doesnt make it in the nba.  

i get why they go to the new nba league, they get paid and they get to do nothing but play basketball.  if that's what you want to do with the rest of your life, i get it.  i applaud it for the nba to set something like that.  college is not the be all end all and definitely isnt for everyone.

that said, if you have the chance to go to stanford or michigan or virginia or duke FOR FREE (and lets be honest, get paid under the table), i find it hard to imagine turning that opportunity down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if he went to michigan he might actually get a degree and then have a better chance of doing something if he doesnt make it in the nba.  

i get why they go to the new nba league, they get paid and they get to do nothing but play basketball.  if that's what you want to do with the rest of your life, i get it.  i applaud it for the nba to set something like that.  college is not the be all end all and definitely isnt for everyone.

that said, if you have the chance to go to stanford or michigan or virginia or duke FOR FREE (and lets be honest, get paid under the table), i find it hard to imagine turning that opportunity down.

OTOH, it's not the worst thing in the world for Duke and Michigan and Stanford and Virginia if the guys who want to get paid have someplace to get paid legitimately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These kids that sign a contract with the Select team get a full scholarship to Arizona State they can use if things do not work out.  

I get that isn't Michigan or Stanford but it is a degree to help them further their life/career after basketball.  

It also lets them have the best of both worlds.  They get to take a development path that is quite a bit ahead of a college program plus fall back on a degree when/if things don't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

These kids that sign a contract with the Select team get a full scholarship to Arizona State they can use if things do not work out.  

I get that isn't Michigan or Stanford but it is a degree to help them further their life/career after basketball.  

It also lets them have the best of both worlds.  They get to take a development path that is quite a bit ahead of a college program plus fall back on a degree when/if things don't work out.

 Doesn't MLB also provide tuition for MiLB players that wash out? It's good the NBA is doing this, but it's also what they should. But they couldn't line more than one school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game is on ESPN+ so I can't watch it.  But Nix has 23 points in 21 minutes.

Sauce Castillo has 20 for Toronto.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 for Kuminga but he shot poorly.  38% from the field.  Had 13 rebounds though and got to the line 11 times and made 8.

Green shot well 58/50 and had 21 points.

Going back to our early discussion about talent level.  Toronto had 6 guys that were drafted by the NBA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

23 for Kuminga but he shot poorly.  38% from the field. 

 

That's just excused as volume scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...