Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

This is your team

Ok folks. Lets take a look at the Pistons. I hear a lot of people say they are good enough to go to the finals, but whoever comes out of the West will beat them. That is not good, and let me tell you why.

Lets be positive thinkers here and assume we sign both Okur and Wallace for next season. That means we took care of our own people, but really cant add anyone to the mix. We will be capped out and probably for the next few years I would imagine. Maybe we get lucky and get an aging superstar to sing for the MLE.

Now to my point. This team will not be adding any more players to the mix, not by FA, not by the draft. A lot of people feel this team is not good enough to beat its Western counterpart in the finals, so how will we ever win the championship? Do you think adding Delfino next year will be the missing piece to the puzzle? Do you think if we mature for a few years, this team will be good enough to win a championship? Or are we always just going to be good enough to tease us, but never actually win it. Do you think that we wont win a championship until Darko realizes his potential?

About the only other way to change the makeup of this team is to make a big trade. Do you risk changing the core of the team to shake things up?

It's just something I have been thinking about lately. If we sign those two guys this summer, this is our team for the next 3-5 years probably. And if people already dont feel we can win, what will change in the next few years to make us champions?

I don't think our roster is as set in stone as you seem to think it is. Remember, the chances of us dealing Eldin Campbell or Corliss Williamson to the Bobcats are very good and that sets us up even better going into this coming offseason.

Plus, Delfino is supposed to have great talent and a smooth shot, so that has the potential to add a lot to our team. Also, if Darko progresses as planned in two or so seasons he could be a big time force in the NBA. We've also drafted Glinadakis and he's waiting in the wings. So even though cap wise our hands are slightly tied we have an influx of talent coming over to us over the next couple of seasons.

Another big difference between this team being set in stone and others that have been set in stone ala the Knicks or something like that is that A) our players are all relatively young, and our core players are continuing to improve their games B) none of our players are locked into long-term deals.

I really don't think their is a player on our roster going into next season that I would say is not a tradable commodity. Dumars has spent wisely and we will remain flexible even through our continuing success in the next few seasons. I think the one thing we might be missing next season is a consistent scoring wingman off the bench, but if Delfino delivers right away then I think we are a force to be reckoned with bar nobody.

The big Greek dude is supposed to come over next year, too. Don't discount the idea of Dumars making a blockbuster deal over the off season, either.

Even if we lost Elden or Corliss, I dont think that would be enough to put us under the cap if we sign both Okur and Wallace. Now having said that, I am no capologist by any means, so I could be 100% wrong.

Another thing, maybe you are counting on the foriegn talent a bit too much. Last I checked Delfino was only averaging around 10 pts a game. I assume the NBA is still the best league in the world with the best talent. If he only averages 10 a game there, dont think he will come here and average 15 or 20. And the big greek dude is very very raw from what I understand. But he does have a good upside.

Originally posted by Deleterious

Even if we lost Elden or Corliss, I dont think that would be enough to put us under the cap if we sign both Okur and Wallace. Now having said that, I am no capologist by any means, so I could be 100% wrong.

As I understand it, If we can get Okur to take the MLE we can match offers for Rasheed up to 108% of his curent contract.

Originally posted by Anthonyg788

As I understand it, If we can get Okur to take the MLE we can match offers for Rasheed up to 108% of his curent contract.

Yeah, I know that, but I am talking about adding new players. Any idea if we can do that?

We don't need new players. As long as we can keep Sheed and Memo, we have no need for other players. Then you factor in Delfino coming over next year and we are definitely set.

The the big guy from Greece probably won't be coming over for next season. There is no room for him.

Our success for next season hinders on one thing. Whether or not we can resign both Memo and Sheed.

I am sure Joe D will be able to pull off something to get Corliss or Elden to Charlotte in the expansion draft. He always does.

Andreas is not coming over for next season. He will be over seas for at least one more season. Regarding Delfino, if he were to average 10 points here then that would be perfect for a player coming off the bench. Also, you have to factor in that he is a young player on what I believe is one of the top teams in all of Europe. Also, I think people are assuming that resigning Wallace would require us to sign him over the max contract he has right now. I don't think he is a max contract player and I don't believe he will attract max contract numbers that the Pistons will have to match. Wallace is making $17 million this season. I don't see him getting offers above $12 or $13 million.

Also dont forget Darko should be getting PT next year. And theirs always the issue of losing Memo and/or Sheed. We could always use their cap space to go get someone else.

Deleterious,

I had the same question in my mind each of the last two years. I don't have it nearly this year as I have in the past. If we sign Rasheed I will be very happy. I can't say anything about Delfino. I've never seen him play. Heck I don't even know what he looks like. And I refuse to comment on someone I know nothing about - I said the same about Darko last year.

After seeing Rasheed on this team I now think the priority is to sign Rasheed, not Okur. I'd love to get both. And while it may max us out, I think with Okur's progress and Prince's continuous progress there is plenty of room for this team to improve with its own roster. And if Delfino is as solid as others say... who knows.

I still don't expect much out of Darko next year either. It would be nice to see him get some significant PT next year - even if it is just in 20-30 games. Still, I don't want him getting it unless his physical development merits it. I truly believe in earning PT and not just getting it. I really liked that about Carlisle - while others criticized him for it.

Originally posted by NotoriousCPC

Andreas is not coming over for next season. He will be over seas for at least one more season. Regarding Delfino, if he were to average 10 points here then that would be perfect for a player coming off the bench. Also, you have to factor in that he is a young player on what I believe is one of the top teams in all of Europe. Also, I think people are assuming that resigning Wallace would require us to sign him over the max contract he has right now. I don't think he is a max contract player and I don't believe he will attract max contract numbers that the Pistons will have to match. Wallace is making $17 million this season. I don't see him getting offers above $12 or $13 million.

Doesnt matter if you sign him to a max contract or not, he still puts us over the cap. Just signing Okur will put us over the cap. Plus I just dont see how you expect someone scoring 10 pts a game as a starter, to come over here to a better league, and continue that scoring pace. I hope he does, but I wouldnt count on it.

I'm one of those people that thinks Detroit is the best team in the East (yes, even Indiana now that we have Sheed) and that they actually have a pretty good shot at whoever comes out of the East. (better than NJ that last two years) The Pistons don't need to add anybody this offseason. Keeping who they have is good enough.

Originally posted by Anthonyg788

Also dont forget Darko should be getting PT next year. And theirs always the issue of losing Memo and/or Sheed. We could always use their cap space to go get someone else.

It honestly would not shock me to see him get no playing time again next year. Who will he take time from? Wallace, Okur, Williamson, Wallace would be one of the guys having to give up time (assuming we sign both Wallace and Okur). Do you really see him taking time away from one of them? I dont.

Lets not forget, the best big man in the east, sat on Portlands bench for about 3 years before getting any type of consistent minutes. Dont be shocked if Darko gets no minutes again next year.

Originally posted by DTroppens

Deleterious,

I had the same question in my mind each of the last two years. I don't have it nearly this year as I have in the past. If we sign Rasheed I will be very happy. I can't say anything about Delfino. I've never seen him play. Heck I don't even know what he looks like. And I refuse to comment on someone I know nothing about - I said the same about Darko last year.

After seeing Rasheed on this team I now think the priority is to sign Rasheed, not Okur. I'd love to get both. And while it may max us out, I think with Okur's progress and Prince's continuous progress there is plenty of room for this team to improve with its own roster. And if Delfino is as solid as others say... who knows.

I still don't expect much out of Darko next year either. It would be nice to see him get some significant PT next year - even if it is just in 20-30 games. Still, I don't want him getting it unless his physical development merits it. I truly believe in earning PT and not just getting it. I really liked that about Carlisle - while others criticized him for it.

Since seeing Rasheed play, I couldnt agree more about him being the top priority over Okur. I would like to have both, but if one is only possible, give me Rasheed.

I am also with you on Darko. I dont see him getting anymore time next season, then he got this season. It's not like we are a 20 win ballclub or something. And I sure dont see the point in playing him just to play him. If that was going to happen, it would have happened this year.

This team is currently not built for winning this year. Not saying we're not playing well, but that's not how it was built. 2 second year players starting and a #2 draft pick that has yet to play significant time. I honestly think that Okur is gonna be a sign and trade. Sheed was a question mark on how he would adjust and fit in. I think we will sign him to a big contract, and then move Okur. This is of course based on my feeling that I have that Darko is gonna play a lot next year. I don't know why I feel that way but I do. So with that I think we lose Campbell, Okur and James. That leaves us really short on bench players. I think Okur will be traded for multiple filler players to add depth to our bench. Corliss will stay. Significant time next year goes to Walli, Smooth, Rip, Tayshaun, Darko, and a player to be named later(possibly Delphino)...have to go to work...finish later.

I can't think of anything else to really say in this other than to mention that Delphino avg'd 13 pts and 6 rbds in 32 mins this year in Europe, shot 44% from the field and 39% from the arc with almost a 2-1 TO/AST ratio. That's certainly respectable. I don't know what the games are like out there and what the league leaders do so...

Originally posted by Deleterious

It all depends on what it takes to sign Okur and Wallace. Corliss and Elden are at around 5 million each so that's a good chunk of change to add to the 7-9 million they will have. The real question is what is Okur worth. Of course the market will determine that but should he get paid more than every other Piston starter? And should the Pistons tie up that kind of money in a long term contract, for a guy that might end up fighting not only the Wallaces but Darko for playing time in the next few years? Rasheed has said, before the trade, that he would take the MLE to play with the Knicks. Would he be willing to take a similar contract from the Pistons?

To me there are just too many questions. Okur seems stuck in his development this season and it will be tough call come the off season. What the Pistons have been able to do lately is play above their weaknesses, they haven't faced the competition that is good enough to find it or exploit it. Last season the playoffs showed again that the Piston's style was not good enough. We will better see what they need come playoff time again this year.

I laugh at those who say this team isn't built to win now. Sure, the selection of Darko means we are aiming for a few years from now, but the rest of the players are all ready to win NOW. With the addition of Sheed, I think this team will prove that they are the best team in the conference. And I don't think they are the slouches that New Jersey has been the last two years against the West. This frontline is MUCH better.

I certainly think this team can win now too. I don't think we're the favorites but after the trade we are a major player.

Signing Okur AND Sheed is a pipe dream. We'll probably let Sheed go (Knicks?). I also don't expect Campbell to be here next year. Delfino comes over. That leaves 1 more spot.

Originally posted by MotownRandy

I laugh at those who say this team isn't built to win now.

Must remind you of High School when everyone laughed at you. Prior to picking up Sheed this team was not a contender by any stretch and required the maturation of Okur, Prince, and Darko to get to that level...hence, a team not built to win now.

DaBishop & MR,

I think it's fair to say before the trade that the team took a step back with its inexperienced starting lineup but even with that said I think the goal was at least the Conference finals again. I know it was for me - even though I thought a step back was possible.

I understand where MR is coming from as well as you. Both are legit viewpoints I think.

How's that for hedging on both sides!:classic:

Easy way to make two good friends or two enemies for being a brown-noser.

This team is tough. Remember, we beat the spurs and the Lakers without Rasheed, and played the Kings tough, too.

We gave away the first game of the year to Indy. This team was good before, they are WAY better now.

This team was in a good position before, but now, they are indeed a contender. I don't think anybody is taking them lightly.

Originally posted by DetroitFolly

This team is tough. Remember, we beat the spurs and the Lakers without Rasheed, and played the Kings tough, too.

We gave away the first game of the year to Indy. This team was good before, they are WAY better now.

This team was in a good position before, but now, they are indeed a contender. I don't think anybody is taking them lightly.

It is so nice to come into the Pistons forum .. the 1 place on earth where DF & I almost always agree. Life is good. :classic: