Shaggy Ry

Bertuzzi KO's Moore with a cheapshot...

With the game out of hand and the bad blood stilll boiling, Todd Bertuzzi took matters into his own hands and could find himself in a Marty McSorley situation. Nearing the end of the chippy and fight filled game the Vancouver leader tried to get Moore to fight him, when Moore wanted no part of it after dropping the gloves with Matt Cooke earlier, and tried to skate away Bertuzzi, from behind, tugged on the back of his jersey to slow him down and get him in range of a right cross to the temple/side of him head - seemingly instantly knocking out Steve Moore and sending him crashing head first into the ice - after which Bertuzzi still felt it necessary to get in another punch on the prone skater. There was a pile up thereafter, the usual line brawl melee, however Steve Moore had to be stretchered off due to the violence of the attack.

I bet you'd rather see it for yourself - thanks to the boys at Hockeyfights.com here you go:

http://www.hockey-fights.com/videos/20040308/BertuzziSuckerPunch.wmv

How many games is that worth? How about criminal prosecution? It was obviously pre-meditated. The Incident why Moore had a target on him was when the teams met two times ago and Moore made an unwise choice when he hit Markus Naslund probably when he shouldn't have. The hit wasn't black and white dirty, however it was very questionable and resulted in a concussion to their star.

He should probably be out 10-15 games.

Gutless. You're 240 pounds, Todd. Fight the guy don't attack him from behind.

Of course Wings fans will be outraged until Bertuzzi becomes a Wing. Then he's gritty and has character.. like Chelios.

Obviously Moore wanted no part of him - so punk him out, make it obvious that he's running away - but don't cheapshot him(though he likely knew something was coming).

This is sorta like the Hatcher hit on Roenick a year or so ago, when he smashed his face int the end boards and destroyed his jaw. Or when Matt Johnson suckered Beukeboom and ended his career with a concussion. Johnson got 10 games and I believe Hatcher got 8 - The most I expect for Bert is the rest of the regular season. However doesn't this open up Bert for retribution from Worrell next time these guys meet??

That's kind of unfair, Oblong. Chelios doesn't do anything like this. This is one of those top 5 cheapshot moments in recent history.

But in a way you're right. People are saying he was gutless last night. It doesn't mean he's a gutless guy overall. This isn't the norm for him, so yes, most teams would be happy to have him.

Maybe Chelios hasn't done anything like this but tha'ts because he's too small. I'm sure he would have if he could have. He's had his share of cheap shot moments.

I'm just ripping on all sports fans, not just Red Wing fans.

Chelios was more hated for being a genral prick than anything. Not so much cheapshots.

But your point is valid. Most Wings fans don't hate him now. I'm still not his #1 fan by any means. He hasn't done most of the things here that people hated him for previously though. The one thing he does do that I can't stand is whine. Did you know he has never taken a legit penalty in his career? The ref messed up every single time. Shanny for the most part too.

I don't remember the specifics but I am having memories of Chelios doing something in the finals in either 86 or 89.

I heard the retaliation was for Moore's hit on Naslund. One of th Canuck players said Moore had a bounty on him.

I think he maybe suspended more than the 10-15 games.

Yeah Moore had hit Naslund about 10 days ago and he got hurt. There wasn't a penalty or a suspension on the play because it wasn't all that bad.

When you say you're gonna get someone and you do, does it make the consequences worse? I don't know. Perhaps it should.

No doubt it was retaliation - heavyweights Wade Brookbank, Bryan Allen and Brad May all tried to get Moore to drop the gloves, however Moore wasn't game. Moore did go with middle to lightweight Matt Cooke and probably thought that was good enough - Vancouver didn't thnk so.

The Vancouver Police have said that they plan no action - I find that funny since they were up in arms when their hometown boy at the time Brashear was KO'd by McSorley. Maybe that's why Bertuzzi and the boys waited until they were in Vancouver before getting revenge - afterall they were in Colorado a mere five days ago.

How can they say that is different because he didn't use a stick is ridiculous. You hear about it all the time when a kid on the street punches another and the kid falls and cracks his head off the cement and dies - the kid throwing the punch is charged. Brashear was stretchered off, so was Moore. McSorley wanted Brashear to fight, Bertuzzi wanted Moore to fight. Both were attacks from behind that resulted in the player being KO'd on his feet and cracking their skulls off the ice. How is a 6'3" 245lb man levelling another from behind with a haymaker in the side of the head/temple any different than Brashear getting tapped in the head with a stick. I don't believe McSorley meant to hit him in the head - I know Bertuzzi did.

It's different than the McSorley thing to me... I am one of the few probably who doesn't think Marty meant to do what he did. I think he meant to swing the stick of course, but not club the guy in the melon. It hit Brashear's shoulder before his head. Bertuzzi knew what he was doing. Cheapshot punches happen a lot though. I don't think Bertuzzi necessarily meant to drive his face into the ice. I think the momentum of the haymaker brought him down on top of him. However, when you punch a guy from behind, it doesn't matter the exact cause of what happens after it, you're at fault.

Originally posted by Oblong

Maybe Chelios hasn't done anything like this but tha'ts because he's too small. I'm sure he would have if he could have. He's had his share of cheap shot moments.

I'm just ripping on all sports fans, not just Red Wing fans.

I agree with your overall point, but to say that Chelios would have delivered such a cheap shot if he were bigger is unfair.

Also, I remember a lot of us on this board being disappointed with Higgy and Dean Plamer for their actions in the Chicago brawl a couple years ago. Sure they were in the minority, but it was a pretty fair percentage.

What I mean by bigger is that he's hit people from behind before and since he's not a big guy, nothing like this has happened. I didn't mean to imply that he is a wuss or held back because of his size. If that's what you though I meant, I can see why. I didn't phrase it right.

From looking at this video, he hit him in the face from behind. Hard, but nothing I haven't seen before in hockey.

Of course Wings fans will be outraged until Bertuzzi becomes a Wing. Then he's gritty and has character.. like Chelios.

It doesn't matter who they guy is. That is just totally innappropriate. Maybe they'll lose him for the playoffs.

What I mean by bigger is that he's hit people from behind before and since he's not a big guy, nothing like this has happened. I didn't mean to imply that he is a wuss or held back because of his size. If that's what you though I meant, I can see why. I didn't phrase it right.

From looking at this video, he hit him in the face from behind. Hard, but nothing I haven't seen before in hockey.

I agree with you about the punch. The problem I have is with him grabbing the back of his head and slamming him face first into the ice. There is nowhere in Hockey that this is acceptable. What he did is ridiculous. There is no way he should be back before the playoffs.

Colorado is reporting that Steve Moore has a cracked vertabrae - I wonder where it happened - it looked from the punch that Moore was out, however he put his hands out to catch his fall, however Bertuzzi's fat *** fell on top of him and smashed his head in the ice and then punched him in the head one more time before the big pile up.

I think, now that we know just how seriously Moore is hurt, that Bertuzzi should be suspended for a full calendar year.

If he punches him that way and doesn't seriously hurt him, then 15-20 games. But we are talking about a career-threatening injury for a young player. The punch was bad enough, but he did intentionally drive his head into the ice - and then hit him again - and that is assault. You wanna play that way, then you gotta pay a price.

What a gutless prick! Face the man, if he doesn't want to fight, force him to turtle up like Claude - and he will be humiliated and defeated.

The Naslund hit, was Naslund's fault because not only was his head down in open ice, he leaned into Moore's path. Moore didn't go out of his way to hit Naslund, but he didn't veer off his path either. I don't even think Moore's shot was a cheap shot, Naslund should know better.

This was as bad as McSorely, and worse than Dale Hunter going Sega and hitting Pierre Turgeon.

As to the debate wether Chelios would do this or if Chelios is too small. Well, Chelios has been playing for 20 years and has never done it, because even as nasty as he can be - he knows its wrong.

I think this is worse than the McSorley incident becasue Bertuzzi had weeks to think about what he would do whereas McSorley was caught up in the moment. I, too, believe that McSourley didn't plan on hitting Brashear in the head, but rather tap him on the shoulder - Bertuzzi went head hunting with his haymaker and then smashed his face into the ground.

I wonder what Bertuzzi said after the McSorley/Brashear incident - did he condone it as part of hockey or was he crying bloody murder? I believe the Vancouver authorities have to charge Bertuzzi, even if he is a local icon, if not they are opening themselves up to scrutiny. They were gung-ho to prosecute Marty McSorley to the fullest extent - they better be just as vigilant with Todd Bertuzzi. Stick or no stick, it was a pre-meditated assault by a 6'4" 250 lb man, blindsiding another and driving their face into the ground as they fell on top of him.

From the Vancouver Sun:

Vancouver police investigate ugly on-ice hit by Canucks star Bertuzzi

Canadian Press

March 9, 2004

VANCOUVER (CP) - The Vancouver police are investigating an ugly on-ice hit by Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi that left Colorado rookie Steve Moore with a fractured neck.

"I have spoken to the chief of Vancouver (police) this morning," B.C. Solicitor General Rich Coleman said Tuesday. "There is an ongoing investigation with regard to this incident." Const. Sarah Bloor, a Vancouver police spokeswoman, said the investigation began after police received "several" complaints from the public. She couldn't say exactly how many. "We have an obligation once a complaint is received to conduct an investigation into an incident of this nature," Bloor said.

"Regardless of the fact that this involves a player in the National Hockey League, this will be a routine assault investigation. Crown counsel will be responsible for making a decision as to whether or not anyone is charged."

Moore, from Windsor, Ont., remained in a Vancouver hospital Tuesday after he was slugged in the side of the head by Bertuzzi late in Monday night's game at GM Place.

Moore landed face-first - with Bertuzzi on top of him - and lay in a pool of blood for several minutes before he was removed from the ice on a stretcher.

It marks the second time in recent years the Vancouver police have become involved in an on-ice incident at an NHL game.

Former NHL tough guy Marty McSorley was charged for hitting then-Vancouver Canuck Donald Brashear with his hockey stick in February 2000.

McSorley was tried in court and received a conditional sentence for assault with a weapon, but his one-year suspension from the NHL ended his 17-year career.

Then with the Boston Bruins, McSorley was suspended by the NHL for a year for using his stick to hit Brashear on the side of the head. Brashear was knocked unconscious and missed 20 games with a concussion.

Coleman said he doesn't believe the investigation into the Bertuzzi hit will be handled any differently because it involves a home team this time.

"I believe the one thing about a police investigation is that it's always nonbiased._._._We investigate crime. Period. "

Bertuzzi, from Sudbury, Ont., has been suspended indefinitely pending a hearing at the NHL's office in Toronto on Wednesday morning.

That is a good point. I downloaded that clip you linked. It wasn't a spontaneous thing at all.

He has to get more than McSorley.

I think a big suspension is in order, no doubt. Maybe even a full calender year, as someone suggested. But he should not be charged with any type of criminal charge. I really hate to see sports spill over into the legal system. The league has a system to punish its players, let it take its course and be done with it.

I think that I will be in the minority in the issue but i see it a bit different. I mean I know it was a cheapshot and all, but you see it happen alot if you watch hockey. Guys will grab the jersey throw a punch and then a punch is thrown in return, and we have a fight. I think that is what Bertuzzi was attempting to do but it all went wrong. I doubt he'll be suspended for a calendar year, you've got to see it too that he's one of the top 10 maybe even top 5 players of the league, so they can't have him out for that long. It's just different because most people outside of Vancouver hate the guy, me personally I think he's quite the player and he just under estimated his strength. People call it a gutless thing and that he should be suspended forever, but if you watch games you see it happen all the time but most of the time they fight back.

Before that last article, I was going to say that there could be criminal charges. Bertuzzi will get much more than a suspension. That was assault.