Jump to content
Mr.TaterSalad

Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn fired Holmes/Cambell Hired as GM/Coach

Recommended Posts

All of this historic ineptitude is why I believe the most important thing Sheila said yesterday was that they are reviewing broader changes in the org chart. 

The Ford family seems to trust Rod Wood to manage their investment in the Detroit Lions (and all of the ancillary businesses) but I hope Sheila’s promise of broader org chart changes means that she does not trust him to evaluate or oversee GM, coaching, and football operations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $200 Free Offer - Launching Friday (1/22)

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is launching on Friday, January 22, 2021. Pre-register at BetMGM Sportsbook & Casino and get a free $200 bonus at their online sportsbook & casino with no deposit necessary.

Claim $200 at BetMGM Michigan Now

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

You just quoted yourself disagreeing with me about Bevell. I also have no problem with Saleh. My point was Bevell is just as qualified as Saleh. 

You're free to ignore me if I don't ***** enough about the Lions to your liking. 

So why don't you like Hockenson? I think he'll be a very good TE for our next coach to build around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buddha said:

the leafs won in the 60s.  the lions have won 1 playoff game since 1957 in a league designed to create parity.

the lions are by far the worst franchise in the history of american sports.

If you only take into account the years since the Ford's purchased the team, I fully agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So why don't you like Hockenson? I think he'll be a very good TE for our next coach to build around.

Huh? I like Hockenson. I'm the bad guy for not bitching and moaning about them drafting a TE 8th or any other move the Lions make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Lions can hire a good GM rather quickly. Rick Smith has a lot of good experience in Houston, and built a helacious defense over there during his watch. He has 12 years of experience, which I think the Lions need right now, and has no position right now. He left the Texans after 2017 to take care of his wife during her bout with cancer.

I would also let Smith hire his own HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I think the Lions can hire a good GM rather quickly. Rick Smith has a lot of good experience in Houston, and built a helacious defense over there during his watch. He has 12 years of experience, which I think the Lions need right now, and has no position right now. He left the Texans after 2017 to take care of his wife during her bout with cancer.

I would also let Smith hire his own HC.

No. They played it safe last time. Go for big. 

Rick Smith gets us to 10 wins and that's it. He's the caldwell of GMs

OH and "Helacious defense" yeah in his entire tenure the defense ranked top 5 in scoring one time....**** even our inept franchise has done that in the last 20 years. Helacious my ***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea is to look for teams that are always in it because they draft well.   Yes, that is kind of what we did with Bob Quinn, but you don't have to base it on the fact this instance didn't work.    Find someone who almost always hits on the draft.........I think Baltimore and Pittsburgh are two places to look first.    I am starting to think that New England may have been been more Tom Brady than anyone ever realized.  Belichick got caught cheating vs. Cincinnati last year - the worst team in football - and that makes me think he's done it a lot more than we think.  I really don't know that Bob Quinn had any real influence there anyway.    Just find someone who is KNOWN for being brilliant at drafting.  If you don't draft well nothing else is probably going to matter.   As far as coach, trust that GM to make that decision on their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Rick Smith isn’t it.   Can’t believe some of the suggestions in this thread.   

rick smith and darrell bevell.  feel the excitement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The idea is to look for teams that are always in it because they draft well.   Yes, that is kind of what we did with Bob Quinn, but you don't have to base it on the fact this instance didn't work.    Find someone who almost always hits on the draft.........I think Baltimore and Pittsburgh are two places to look first.    I am starting to think that New England may have been been more Tom Brady than anyone ever realized.  Belichick got caught cheating vs. Cincinnati last year - the worst team in football - and that makes me think he's done it a lot more than we think.  I really don't know that Bob Quinn had any real influence there anyway.    Just find someone who is KNOWN for being brilliant at drafting.  If you don't draft well nothing else is probably going to matter.   As far as coach, trust that GM to make that decision on their own. 

It isn't just the GM. It's having scouts to find players, it's having coaches that can develop players, it's having leadership to mentor the younger players, managing the cap, getting depth, establishing a culture and on an on.  

Belichick was an average NFL coach before he got to NE.  Tom Brady wasn't all that successful at the college level.   The Lions have had good players and coaches over the years.  They haven't been able to put it all together for whatever reason. 

Thought this was a good article on Patricia's tenure it Detroit.   I've heard many of the stories, but seeing them all in one place and what a total dick he is was mind blowing.  

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/matt-patricias-reign-of-error-was-unraveling-before-it-even-began.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No. They played it safe last time. Go for big. 

Rick Smith gets us to 10 wins and that's it. He's the caldwell of GMs

OH and "Helacious defense" yeah in his entire tenure the defense ranked top 5 in scoring one time....**** even our inept franchise has done that in the last 20 years. Helacious my ***

Go for smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cruzer1 said:

Go for smart.

He ain't the only smart guy...

HE might be smart, but I know his results. A few years picking high, a meh defense, and 10 wins. Boy that sounds familiar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ideal Lions GM would be someone with experience that knows this franchise, knows both its history and the current situation, and has experience somewhere else with a successful rebuild taking a team from top 3 draft pick to the Super Bowl.  A minority candidate would also be a strong plus as would being an ex-player.  

It seems like an impossible wishlist for the next GM but this exact background exists in an available candidate.

He won’t even be interviewed because his name is Martin Mayhew.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Tom Brady wasn't all that successful at the college level.

At UM Brady did show the flashes of leadership and game management that will put him in the HOF. What was incomplete for Brady as a collegian was that he literally had never had to make all the throws. It was a pretty limited passing offense, a diet of corner fades but mostly crossing routes to the middle of the field; basically stuff that was physically easy to execute. I think you would have been hard pressed to know if he had a legit NFL throwing arm from watching him at M (and for that matter when he left A2 he still may not have)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The ideal Lions GM would be someone with experience that knows this franchise, knows both its history and the current situation, and has experience somewhere else with a successful rebuild taking a team from top 3 draft pick to the Super Bowl.  A minority candidate would also be a strong plus as would being an ex-player.  

It seems like an impossible wishlist for the next GM but this exact background exists in an available candidate.

He won’t even be interviewed because his name is Martin Mayhew.  

yeah - I've often wondered if Mayhew wasn't as close to being on the right track personnel wise as the Lions have been. Didn't have a great eye for head coaches though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - I've often wondered if Mayhew wasn't as close to being on the right track personnel wise as the Lions have been. Didn't have a great eye for head coaches though.

Mayhew was a horrific drafter in that first three rounds. Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron, Nick Fairley, Lanken Tomlinson, Titus Young, Mikel Lashoure, Ryan Broyles, Ameer Abdullah, Kyle Van Noy, Derrick Williams, Amari Spievey, Alex Carter. All of these guys were complete flops here and all were high round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mayhew was a horrific drafter in that first three rounds. Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron, Nick Fairley, Lanken Tomlinson, Titus Young, Mikel Lashoure, Ryan Broyles, Ameer Abdullah, Kyle Van Noy, Derrick Williams, Amari Spievey, Alex Carter. All of these guys were complete flops here and all were high round picks.

100% correct.  He was also terrible hiring coaches and signing free agents.  Also, don’t leave out all of the Millen flops that he rode shotgun on. He’s got to own some of those too. He failed miserably here in just about everything.  That can’t be spun in any other way.  There’s no doubt he had to learn quite a bit from all of that suck but I like that he went somewhere else and was around success.  That makes understanding what went wrong even more valuable for his next stop. He is absolutely going to get another shot at GM and probably this off-season.  That team won’t be getting the same guy that was here. They will get someone that has been humbled badly and rebounded to come out better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mayhew was a horrific drafter in that first three rounds. Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron, Nick Fairley, Lanken Tomlinson, Titus Young, Mikel Lashoure, Ryan Broyles, Ameer Abdullah, Kyle Van Noy, Derrick Williams, Amari Spievey, Alex Carter. All of these guys were complete flops here and all were high round picks.

dont forget bill bentley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be disappointed if the search is really beginning now. It should just be wrapping up if the org has actually been gaining any competence under SHF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I will be disappointed if the search is really beginning now. It should just be wrapping up if the org has actually been gaining any competence under SHF.

They have to get permission to speak with other team's personnel. I'm guessing they weren't going to do that while Quinn and Patricia were still employed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan is launching online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. These top Michigan sportsbooks have pre-launch bonus offers. No deposit is required. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - If you sign up at BetRivers Michigan now, you will receive $50 in free bets to use one their online sportsbook & casino

Click Here to claim $50 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - If you register now before FanDuel launches in January, you will receive $100 to use at their sportsbook app & online casino.

Click Here to claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan For Registering Now

BetMGM Michigan - If you sign up early at BetMGM Michigan before launch, you will receive $200 in free bets to use at their online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $200 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Early

   


×
×
  • Create New...