Jump to content
Mr.TaterSalad

Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn fired - Holmes/Cambell Hired as GM/Coach

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kind of seems odd that Dodds isn't getting as much consideration around the league. Has he been linked as a favorite to any team?

In related news, has Saleh gotten a second interview from a team other than the Jets? 

In the interview the beatwriter said Dodds won't take just any job and turns down offers and interview requests. He's waiting to find the right opportunity, not just any. Dodds turned down the Browns job last year and turned down the Panthers this year. The beatwriter said Dodds likes Dan Campbell and potentially Darrel Bevell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Listening to this Pride of Detroit interview with a Colts beat writer from the Athletic about Ed Dodds is crazy exciting. It sounds like Dodds is regarded league wide as a top scouting mind. Dodds sounds like a toughminded SOB to work for too. They said in the interview if you are a scout and you bring a player to Dodds in a meeting you better have your **** together and be able to backup and justify why you like this guy.

Stuff like this just serves to get my hopes up even further only to be dashed when the Lions look elsewhere, although I'd be fine with Holmes. I've had Dodds on my radar for a few years so it would be real frustrating if he's available and the Lions don't seal the deal although it's possible that he may not want the Lions of course.

Now that Fontenot is likely out, hopefully a decision will be made sooner than later. I don't see the need to wait on Ireland if it risks them losing out on the more desired candidates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

In the interview the beatwriter said Dodds won't take just any job and turns down offers and interview requests. He's waiting to find the right opportunity, not just any. Dodds turned down the Browns job last year and turned down the Panthers this year. The beatwriter said Dodds likes Dan Campbell and potentially Darrel Bevell.

He turned down the Panthers I believe because Rhule has personnel control. The fact that Dodds did interview after turning down the Panthers is encouraging. I don't buy too much into fluff pieces. Holmes is apparently the next Ozzie Newsome. You'll see them floating around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kind of seems odd that Dodds isn't getting as much consideration around the league. Has he been linked as a favorite to any team?

In related news, has Saleh gotten a second interview from a team other than the Jets? 

Dodds has turned down a bunch of chances to interview at places, i think.

like paton, he's picky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buddha said:

Dodds has turned down a bunch of chances to interview at places, i think.

like paton, he's picky.

Surprised Paton and Dodds both agreed to interviews with the Lions. The Lions job may be better than fans think it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He turned down the Panthers I believe because Rhule has personnel control. The fact that Dodds did interview after turning down the Panthers is encouraging. I don't buy too much into fluff pieces. Holmes is apparently the next Ozzie Newsome. You'll see them floating around. 

It's all fluff pieces but Dodds has a real impressive resume in two different places as a guy who was involved heavily in the process, apparently, so there's meat on this bone. Holmes is a bit more an unknown although he appears to be highly regarded as an up and comer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Surprised Paton and Dodds both agreed to interviews with the Lions. The Lions job may be better than fans think it is. 

I would imagine Dodds probably likes Stafford and wants to build around him, considering he and Chris Ballard hitched their wagon to a veteran QB in Phillip Rivers instead of trying to aggressively pursue one in the draft last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Surprised Paton and Dodds both agreed to interviews with the Lions. The Lions job may be better than fans think it is. 

stable ownership that doesnt meddle.  

whenever jobs with the lions come open there are lots of people who seem to want them.  again, there are only 32 of them, but youre right that people seem to turn down other positions and dont usually automatically turn down the lions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buddha said:

stable ownership that doesnt meddle.  

whenever jobs with the lions come open there are lots of people who seem to want them.  again, there are only 32 of them, but youre right that people seem to turn down other positions and dont usually automatically turn down the lions.

This is what I touched on when people were talking about the Lions being the least desirable job. GMs are really big on two things, money and especially power.

Very few owners are as hands off as Lions owners so GMs know coming in that they will have full autonomy to bring in their people. The Wild Card is Spielman. My one worry with Spielman in the GM search is if GMs saw him as the GM In Waiting if they falter so it's important that they give the prospective GMs full transparency on what Spielman's role is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am a GM I'd much rather work for the Fords, who don't meddle, than a Jerry Jones or Al Davis type, who have their fingerprints in everything. Now, the Ford's are bad owners because they combine a hands off approach with hyper loyalty (keeping Russ Thomas, Matt Millen), listen to the wrong people (Ernie Accorsi) and until recently, have shown an inability or unwillingness to do a thorough search for the right person (Chuck Schmidt, Bobby Ross, Matt Millen, Martin Mayhew, Bob Quinn). This time around feels different than any of the next man up approaches they've taken that gave them Schmidt and Mayhew or the incomplete searches that landed them Ross, Millen and Quinn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYLion said:

This is what I touched on when people were talking about the Lions being the least desirable job. GMs are really big on two things, money and especially power.

Very few owners are as hands off as Lions owners so GMs know coming in that they will have full autonomy to bring in their people. The Wild Card is Spielman. My one worry with Spielman in the GM search is if GMs saw him as the GM In Waiting if they falter so it's important that they give the prospective GMs full transparency on what Spielman's role is.

i think a lot of people like chris spielman and working for him actually might be a draw.

but if he turns out to be a meddler, then you may be right the next time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really, really wanted Ed Dodds but I am happy with Holmes. The Rams, without first round picks, have done a really nice job drafting over the past 4 years. Holmes seems like a draft guy to his core and knows and understands scouting inside and out. I like this move a lot and there are worse decisions they could make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthur Smith is in on Friday for a second interview. Probably interviewing with Holmes now and possibly the pick for HC. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T&P_Fan said:

So apparently they didn’t like Dodds.

Or did and he didn't want the job. Or did and just liked Holmes better. Or did and had to **** or get off the pot with one of the two guys. I wanted Dodds too, but I am by no means disappointed with Holmes. Dude is a draft guy to his core and a great scout it sounds like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If I am a GM I'd much rather work for the Fords, who don't meddle, than a Jerry Jones or Al Davis type, who have their fingerprints in everything. Now, the Ford's are bad owners because they combine a hands off approach with hyper loyalty (keeping Russ Thomas, Matt Millen), listen to the wrong people (Ernie Accorsi) and until recently, have shown an inability or unwillingness to do a thorough search for the right person (Chuck Schmidt, Bobby Ross, Matt Millen, Martin Mayhew, Bob Quinn). This time around feels different than any of the next man up approaches they've taken that gave them Schmidt and Mayhew or the incomplete searches that landed them Ross, Millen and Quinn.

Maybe it’s just me.   But Sheila has a clean slate.  I don’t tie her to her parents.   She is a new owner.  Even has a different last name.  Sheila carries none of their baggage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T&P_Fan said:

So apparently they didn’t like Dodds.

Or maybe Dodds didn't like them. Just because they didn't hire Dodds doesn't mean they didn't like them. Perhaps they would have offered Dodds if Holmes took the Atlanta job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If I am a GM I'd much rather work for the Fords, who don't meddle, than a Jerry Jones or Al Davis type, who have their fingerprints in everything. Now, the Ford's are bad owners because they combine a hands off approach with hyper loyalty (keeping Russ Thomas, Matt Millen), listen to the wrong people (Ernie Accorsi) and until recently, have shown an inability or unwillingness to do a thorough search for the right person (Chuck Schmidt, Bobby Ross, Matt Millen, Martin Mayhew, Bob Quinn). This time around feels different than any of the next man up approaches they've taken that gave them Schmidt and Mayhew or the incomplete searches that landed them Ross, Millen and Quinn.

Hands on Jerry Jones: won Super Bowls

Hands on Al Davis: won Super Bowls

Hands off Ford family: won nothing 

We should all be hoping that the Ford family is becoming more hands on. Letting rookie GM Quinn pick rookie HC Patricia was a disaster they should have vetoed.

They have the long term interests of the franchise to defend. But they have saddled themselves to an endless string of different GMs and HCs, backing off and “letting them do their jobs.” Hopefully Sheila will be the meddler the franchise needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Meteoric Rise" sums it up. I figured after Quinn that they'd want a more experienced guy. This is a real risk IMO.

I'm guessing the coach will be Smith or Lewis now. Not a big fan of this but hope for the best, as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Hands on Jerry Jones: won Super Bowls

Hands on Al Davis: won Super Bowls

Hands off Ford family: won nothing 

We should all be hoping that the Ford family is becoming more hands on. Letting rookie GM Quinn pick rookie HC Patricia was a disaster they should have vetoed.

They have the long term interests of the franchise to defend. But they have saddled themselves to an endless string of different GMs and HCs, backing off and “letting them do their jobs.” Hopefully Sheila will be the meddler the franchise needs. 

Jerry Jones and Al Davis hadn't won Super Bowls in decades. Besides, Jerry Jones won Super Bowls with Jimmy Johnson's player. When he forced Johnson out to take over personnel control, the Cowboys were never contenders again. Only with the remnants of Johnson's team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Maybe it’s just me.   But Sheila has a clean slate.  I don’t tie her to her parents.   She is a new owner.  Even has a different last name.  Sheila carries none of their baggage. 

which of course goes both ways - for all we know she could end up a "meddler" - which could also cut either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...