Jump to content
Buddha

Game 6: Lions at Falcons

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

On the final drive he started talking about Prater’s career long FG before checking himself (either on his own or his booth mate handed him a note) and noting that was irrelevant because the Lions were down by 6 

I remember that... thinking why the heck are you mentioning this?  A FG does no good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly (November or December 2020). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

37 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I honestly expected to see Atlanta challenge the call.  How odd would that have been?  Seeing a team challenge their own TD to try and get it reversed?

The Lion defender making the touchdown sign cracked me up.

lionsfalcons-832x447.png

5a952c93-a014-420f-a52a-0f8d465347c7-AP_

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jason_R said:

He is consistently awful. And consistently assigned to the Lions. 

Either him or Kenny Albert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Is it not a penalty to challenge a touchdown or turnover because they are automatically reviewed? Or to challenge a call inside of 2 minutes, because those are all booth reviews?

You are correct.  They couldn't challenge that.  Still would have been fun to see.

(And on a side note: I hate that the coaches aren't allowed to challenge in the final two minutes.  I'm fine with allowing the replay booth to challenge plays, but I think coaches, if they have challenges left, should also be allowed to do that.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t see how the side note is even a question. 

Well, it shouldn't be in imho (putting time back on the clock if they reverse a catch to an incomplete catch), but just because I think a certain rule makes sense doesn't mean the NFL does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let's not forget that stafford was excellent in this game.  and he led yet another 4th quarter comeback.  

if they can play the falcons secondary every week, it would really help!  but seriously, stafford has to be this good for them to win, and yesterday he was.

shelton's playoff dream is alive, baby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Well, it shouldn't be in imho (putting time back on the clock if they reverse a catch to an incomplete catch), but just because I think a certain rule makes sense doesn't mean the NFL does.

There are some rules that are open to interpretation or based on a style of play they are trying to encourage, so you could certainly argue with those.

 

But it is indisputable that an incomplete pass stops the clock at the time of the incompletion. In the history of football and replays, have you ever seen a situation where the referee does not also tell the man in the sky to reset the game clock after a catch was reversed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

let's not forget that stafford was excellent in this game.  and he led yet another 4th quarter comeback.  

if they can play the falcons secondary every week, it would really help!  but seriously, stafford has to be this good for them to win, and yesterday he was.

shelton's playoff dream is alive, baby!

**** yeah. Playoff odds sitting at 14%. Probably want to root for the bears tonight, tho. Not sure I can do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Lion defender making the touchdown sign cracked me up.

5a952c93-a014-420f-a52a-0f8d465347c7-AP_

This really is one of the weirdest photos. Without context I could not have told you what was happening here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

let's not forget that stafford was excellent in this game.  and he led yet another 4th quarter comeback.  

if they can play the falcons secondary every week, it would really help!  but seriously, stafford has to be this good for them to win, and yesterday he was.

shelton's playoff dream is alive, baby!

Let's not forget the first half. We got the ball with, what, 27 seconds? And he led us to a FG. That really ended up being huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

**** yeah. Playoff odds sitting at 14%. Probably want to root for the bears tonight, tho. Not sure I can do that. 

cant root for the bears no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shelton said:

**** yeah. Playoff odds sitting at 14%. Probably want to root for the bears tonight, tho. Not sure I can do that. 

updated to 33% and in control of their fate (like most teams are this early in the season)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Shelton said:

There are some rules that are open to interpretation or based on a style of play they are trying to encourage, so you could certainly argue with those.

 

But it is indisputable that an incomplete pass stops the clock at the time of the incompletion. In the history of football and replays, have you ever seen a situation where the referee does not also tell the man in the sky to reset the game clock after a catch was reversed?

 

Honestly, I can't remember seeing it that often or paying attention enough so my memory of events is not a good source of information here, plus I wouldn't put it past the NFL to have different rules in the final two minutes.

Look, I don't want to make too big a deal of this.  I assume that they would put the time on.  It seems the logical thing to do and I feel like I've probably witnessed it in games.  I'm not trying to say that the NFL won't do it.  I was just wondering out loud.  Given my status as a Lions fan nothing surprises me too much anymore.  In my jaded state it wouldn't shock me if the NFL has some weird rule that in this exact circumstance time was not allowed to added back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kgeorge78 said:

updated to 33% and in control of their fate (like most teams are this early in the season)

 

I was just going off 538 because I remembered that they had playoff odds. I prefer the NYT tool, but that doesn’t appear to be live yet. I just found football outsiders has one and that has them at 24% I think. I’ll probably defer to that one (I prefer the DVOA that they use relative to 538’s ELO anyway).

What’s the source of your odds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This win has guaranteed this regime is all but returning right? At this point, given how they have "rallied" and "saved the season" by beating teams with a combined 2-10 record, I don't see a situation where they don't return now. UGH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This win has guaranteed this regime is all but returning right? At this point, given how they have "rallied" and "saved the season" by beating teams with a combined 2-10 record, I don't see a situation where they don't return now. UGH!

Pretty much a guarantee unless they collapse and finish 5-11 or 4-12. While it's nice to see a few wins, I don't think these last two wins are good for the long term health of the franchise outside of a few young guys showing promise. Looks like another year of Quinntricia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance of moving on from Stafford or building a long-term, winning franchise is over as long as these guys are around. We will finish 7-9, miss the playoffs by a game, and the excuse express will come rolling through Sheila Ford's office for Quinn and Patricia. "But Shelia, we only missed the playoffs by a game so you can't fire us now. Look at all the progress we've made!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This win has guaranteed this regime is all but returning right? At this point, given how they have "rallied" and "saved the season" by beating teams with a combined 2-10 record, I don't see a situation where they don't return now. UGH!

3-3 feels like a pretty fair record for a mediocre team like the lions. Nothing is “saved” right now. They will miss the playoffs and get fired, and they will hire your favorite GM candidate and coach and go 11-5 next year. Just enjoy the ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This win has guaranteed this regime is all but returning right? At this point, given how they have "rallied" and "saved the season" by beating teams with a combined 2-10 record, I don't see a situation where they don't return now. UGH!

They also beat 5-2 Arizona and were a Swift drop pass from beating the 5-1 Bears. Not even sure why you follow the team. Who follows a team just to root for them to lose? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They also beat 5-2 Arizona and were a Swift drop pass from beating the 5-1 Bears. Not even sure why you follow the team. Who follows a team just to root for them to lose? 

Who follows a team just to accept 7-9 and smile all the time? I root for teams to lose when it brings them a better chance at winning in the future. The only thing Lions fans should want at this point is a new regime, new coaching staff, and a high draft pick for that regime to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

3-3 feels like a pretty fair record for a mediocre team like the lions. Nothing is “saved” right now. They will miss the playoffs and get fired, and they will hire your favorite GM candidate and coach and go 11-5 next year. Just enjoy the ride!

next week is a good test against a decent colts team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

next week is a good test against a decent colts team.

Agreed. I think most folks saw 3-3 as a pretty likely record after six games. They got here in an odd way, but that’s in the past. Even with a loss to the colts, my dream of a 6-5 record heading into thanksgiving is still alive and well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Any chance of moving on from Stafford or building a long-term, winning franchise is over as long as these guys are around. We will finish 7-9, miss the playoffs by a game, and the excuse express will come rolling through Sheila Ford's office for Quinn and Patricia. "But Shelia, we only missed the playoffs by a game so you can't fire us now. Look at all the progress we've made!"

stafford was really good last game, dont you think?

i think its a positive that patricia seems to finally have conceded that they 1) need to blitz more and 2) need to play more zone.  

on the plus side, jaime collins is playing well and the run defense has definitely improved since the bye week.  stafford has played two solid games in a row and was really good against the falcons.  tyrell crosby is looking comfortable at right tackle, thats good news.  marvin jones played well too.

on the negative side the offensive play calling seems bad to this uneducated observer.  why so much adrian peterson?  also, the falcons suck.  and when they wanted to throw, they do at will.  so do the jaguars and we played them without their best defensive player.  the reason the lions beat the falcons was that the falcons out lioned the lions!

that said, if this team squeaked into the playoffs and drew the bears or the nfc east winner, dont you think they could win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

This really is one of the weirdest photos. Without context I could not have told you what was happening here. 

Somebody should have picked him up and threw him across the line.  I HATE it when a team tries to stop the other team from scoring when there is like 2 minutes left in the game, if they have any chance at all of winning or tying the game by getting the ball with enough time to score.  It drives me crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (November/December 2020). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...