osurower

Chad Billingsley - Dodgers Prospect

Being a resident of Defiance and currently over two hours away, I don't get the opportunity to find much out about another Defiance resident. I've been hearing about Chad for years and he was just drafted in the first round last year out of high school. My request is BA's or another publication's take on his performance and prospect status. If anyone can post this information or pm it to me I will be very grateful. Thank you all.

6. Chad Billingsley, rhp

Drafted: HS—Defiance, Ohio, 2003 (1st round).
Signed by: Marty Lamb.

Background: A preseason All-American, Billingsley entered last spring as one of the hottest high school prospects in the 2003 draft class. Clubs’ wariness of drafting prep righthanders, combined with his slow start in the cold Midwest, contributed to his stock sliding. But the Dodgers watched all of his outings and didn’t hesitate taking him 24th overall and signing him for $1.375 million.

Strengths: A power pitcher built along the lines of Jaret Wright or Jeremy Bonderman, Billingsley runs his fastball up to 97 mph, sitting at 90-94 with average riding action. He throws both a late-breaking 86-87 mph slider and a hammer-type curveball, and he also shows a good feel for a changeup. He commands all four pitches well.

Weaknesses: Billingsley has advanced mechanics and pounds the strike zone, but he needs to become more consistent in repeating his arm slot. He tends to get under his slider, causing it to flatten out. He also can improve his pitch selection, which will come with experience.

The Future: One of just two high school righties drafted in the first round, Billingsley will move fast for the Dodgers. He’ll spend 2004 in Class A.

Team W-L SV ERA G GS IP H R ER BB SO AVG
Ogden (R) 5-4 0 2.83 11 11 54.0 49 24 17 15 62 .243

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live about 45 miles from Defiance. He's one of the few guys from my area who has actually done something baseball-wise. I never realized how barren the area is. I do have a friend who is playing college ball for Sinclair Community College, Chris Spurling's alma-mater.

The NW Ohio area hasn't produced many sport stars but it may be starting to draw attention. In 2001 Luke Hagerty was selected in the supplemental first round by the Cubs out of Ball State. Until he had elbow surgery he was considered a top prospect and is still highly reguarded. Christian Snavely is also a Defiance guy and was selected by Toronto in the sixth round last year. He's more of a OBP player than a hitter so I see the Toronto connection. With Billingsley that makes three Defiance guys currently playing pro baseball.

Not on the baseball front but the biggest star is Indy racer Sam Hornish Jr. His parents only live two miles from mine (which in the country isn't far at all) and I believe we went to the same elementary, middle, and high schools (he is a couple years older so I don't personally know him).

All in all there are some good athletes, but not the population density to consistenly produce star athletes.

In the early 1990's, the Tigers drafted a kid (David Kauflin) from my HS (Chippewa Valley). I thought that was cool, but he came to camp too heavy (after a decent start in Rookie Ball) and was released.

Billingsley is the real deal guys! I have watched him three times in person, I think he will make it!

You Defiance guys rememver Andy Smith? He had an awesome career at BgSu, then played rookie ball with the Yankees for a minute.

Andy Tracy from BG Made the Expos out of spring Training a few years back and played in the show for a while(on the 40 and got paid). He played AA with the Colorado Rockies(Tulsa Nailers), Trying to get back, I talked with him last week and he is seeing the ball well so far, You never know! It was nice when he played for the Ottawa Lynx, so he would be in Toledo once in a while.

San Fransico Giants used their first round pick 2 years ago on a kid out of Toledo( Whitmer H. S) that played at Youngstown State, Hennesy he has had some health problems( not arm related whatsoever) but he has a good chance too.

Chris Fussel out of Clay H. S(94') got drafted and has pitched in the bigs, got to throw in Detroit while playing for K.C

A friend of mine works on Hornish's team now that he is with Penske. He was on Gil de Ferran's team last year and really thinks Sam is a good guy!

There is more talent in northwest Ohio than you may think, I think it is getting noticed more in the last ten years or so.

I don't know how I forgot this. Denny Stark (Edgerton, Ohio) is in the majors with Colorado.

Ned Garver was also from Ney, Ohio.

I remember Andy Smith but not all that well. I think he even pitched with the Red Sox.

Kelly Hunt was drafted by the Tigers in the 29th round last year. I went to High School with him, he graduated with my brother. From what I understand, he did a good job in Oneonta last year.

Now that the Dodger list is out I'll make my annual plea for someone to post a write-up on Chad Billingsley.

P.S.

I still wish he were in our system and I'm sure everyone else does as well.