Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

14 Years Ago today

That meant as much to me as Gibby's dinger off Gossage, maybe even more. They were so bad for so long heading into '06. So after this rebuild some success will feel like Christmas. Or better, that Wilson Phillips is banned from the airwaves for all time.

As a Detroit sports fan I took those times for granted. Wings and Pistons routinely being near the top of their league and now the Tigers making the playoffs.

After the 5+ years of suffering this town's sports teams have gone through I'm not gonna make that mistake again.   

26 minutes ago, leflore said:

That meant as much to me as Gibby's dinger off Gossage, maybe even more. They were so bad for so long heading into '06. So after this rebuild some success will feel like Christmas. Or better, that Wilson Phillips is banned from the airwaves for all time.

...........and that was 36 years ago today.     Wow.......I'm old. 

That was beautiful. I still remember where I was and who I was with just prior (I was on the road at that moment driving in the SCurve in downtown GR)

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That was beautiful. I still remember where I was and who I was with just prior (I was on the road at that moment driving in the SCurve in downtown GR)

I was at a birthday party for my friend's kid.  I don't remember how old she was.  I do remember that he put up a canopy in the backyard with a TV and some chairs.  It seems like they always overbooked birthday parties, but he (a die hard White Sox fan) had the TV set up, so I was fine.  Somehow with all of the sports fans there, it ended it up just being me and two other guys watching out there at this time (probably the cold & damp weather).  Ordonez hit that pitch, it flew out, and all I could do was laugh out of absolute joy.  I can still feel that heart fluttering thing when I hear Dickerson's call of it.  Such a magical season, even with the disappointment against St. Louis.

• Like 1

I'm sure I told the story before on here but I watched the game at State Bar on Woodward, sometime after the game Higginson and Gibson show up there.   I don't know why I said this to him other than the fact that I was completely trashed but I said to Higginson something like "Does it bother you that you had to play on all those terrible Tiger teams but the year you leave they go to World Series."  To which he responded with "I made 50 million dollars off that team, how could I be upset?"  Lol atleast he was honest.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

"I made 50 million dollars off that team, how could I be upset?" 

God bless Higginson.

It's actually not a bad thing to say.  He just said it wrong, because he is Bobby Higginson.  

13 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's actually not a bad thing to say.  He just said it wrong, because he is Bobby Higginson.  

Fidrych essentially said the same thing but in a more humble manner. Higgy is still my favorite Tiger from that era.

• Like 1

That series was a proper ***-kicking. Not sure Oakland has gotten over it yet. 

I'm still angry at Grilli though for the stress he caused me in that 8th inning. Speaking of pitchers, a trivia question, who was the winning pitcher for the Tigers that day? A: Wil Ledezma

I saw Ledezma start against the O’s in Baltimore years back. But the real stud on the field that day was Nook Logan.

Ledezma was dominant in either 06 or 07 MLB The Show.  Him and Zumaya at the back of the bullpen would dominate teams for me.

8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Fidrych essentially said the same thing but in a more humble manner. Higgy is still my favorite Tiger from that era.

I dont know why so many people seem to hate Higgy.  I know things went sour at the end, but he was a decent player and actually pretty good with the right piece around him in the lineup.    Higgy in his prime was better than any OF on the current team.   I like Victor Reyes.  I think Victor Reyes can be a guy you keep for a long time because he plays the whole outfield, but Higginson was better. 

the top five Tigers left fielders:

1. Bobby Veach

2. Willie Horton

3. Rocky Colavito

4. Bobby Higginson

5. Charlie Maxwell

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I dont know why so many people seem to hate Higgy.  I know things went sour at the end, but he was a decent player and actually pretty good with the right piece around him in the lineup.    Higgy in his prime was better than any OF on the current team.   I like Victor Reyes.  I think Victor Reyes can be a guy you keep for a long time because he plays the whole outfield, but Higginson was better. 

Higginson unfortunately was the best player on a bad team. Aside from the 2007 season, I feel Higginson was as good if not better than Ordonez as a Tiger but Ordonez will always be remembered more fondly because of the teams he played on and that HR. 

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Higginson unfortunately was the best player on a bad team. Aside from the 2007 season, I feel Higginson was as good if not better than Ordonez as a Tiger but Ordonez will always be remembered more fondly because of the teams he played on and that HR. 

Well, I don't know about that.............Higgy never hit .363.       I think Higgy was a solid player that would have been a starting OF on pretty much every team most of his career and he had some good years, but all the losing just beat him down (like it would for just about anyone) and he kind of got cynical and fans got cynical towards the team at the same time and it got ugly.  I don't think it's fair.   He was the kind of player Detroit usually embraces, but losing breeds contempt.     

15 hours ago, tiger337 said:

the top five Tigers left fielders:

1. Bobby Veach

2. Willie Horton

3. Rocky Colavito

4. Bobby Higginson

5. Charlie Maxwell

Bobby Veach may be the most overlooked star in Detroit sports history. I believe Bill James called the Tigers outfield of the mid-1910s the statistically greatest ever. 

Crazy that in all my years of Tigers nerdness I'd never heard of Veach. Probably because his career started after the t205 and t206 cards were sold with smokes. There weren't as many cards produced during his years but he's likely on some caramel,  zeenut or strip cards. Now I'm on a mission........

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Crazy that in all my years of Tigers nerdness I'd never heard of Veach. Probably because his career started after the t205 and t206 cards were sold with smokes. There weren't as many cards produced during his years but he's likely on some caramel,  zeenut or strip cards. Now I'm on a mission........

East Coast Bias.  If he was a Yankee, Giant, Dodger or Red Sox player, they'd have named freeways after him.  

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Plus a lot of people didn't have cable back in the 1910's, so it was hard to watch a lot of his games. 

It's hard to imagine growing up in the 1910's where only the rich kids had cable. Luckily things would drastically improve for them over the next 20 years.