Jump to content

cruzer1

2021 NFL Draft...

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He's referring to Brian Daboll, the Buffalo Bills OC. The guy coaching up Josh Allen.

he said dabo in his list of college coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Buddha said:

i get the feeling that the lions are not going to be the top spot for an aspiring head coach.  they have a (now aging) qb and a team that is devoid of talent on defense.  this is going to be a gut job.

That actually appealing to a lot of coaches. Think about the Seahawks before Pete Carroll or the Panthers last year. It's a chance to build your way and not deal with an old guard. 

Trade stafford for some picks and the entire roster turns over by year 2 for whoever is in charge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So he did, carry on.

I did. Likely, no. DO you have to at least consider it a slight possibility/dream if you get lawrence and clemson has to cut its budget. Sure why not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know for sure how long of rope Sheila is going to give GM/Coaches but I think given the teams history she will probably give any new hire atleast a few seasons to make things work.

I think potentially having that kind of leeway has to be attractive to any up and coming HC/GM.  I wouldn't want to go to a franchise that is going to fire me the first time things go south. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That actually appealing to a lot of coaches. Think about the Seahawks before Pete Carroll or the Panthers last year. It's a chance to build your way and not deal with an old guard. 

Trade stafford for some picks and the entire roster turns over by year 2 for whoever is in charge

i dont think theyre getting a lot of picks for stafford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont think theyre getting a lot of picks for stafford.

If Jerry Jones was dumb enough to give up a 1st for Roy freaking Williams, I bet we can get a 1st for a QB when his just went down with a long-term injury. Dallas is in the worst division in football and still has a shot at making a playoff run. My reservations are about letting Quinn be the person to make the trade or having Sheila herself step in and force the trade, Ownership should never be apart of the football operations in my opinion, except maybe this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Jerry Jones was dumb enough to give up a 1st for Roy freaking Williams, I bet we can get a 1st for a QB when his just went down with a long-term injury. Dallas is in the worst division in football and still has a shot at making a playoff run. My reservations are about letting Quinn be the person to make the trade or having Sheila herself step in and force the trade, Ownership should never be apart of the football operations in my opinion, except maybe this time.

quinn would never make that trade because it would signing his own pink slip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

quinn would never make that trade because it would signing his own pink slip.

So does Sheila talk to another owner/GM directly or do we just hang onto Stafford for the remainder of the season and then let the next GM decide? I think we are in a very unique situation, with a very specific trading partner in Dallas. If Shelia has decided she's ready to fire Quinn and Patricia, shouldn't she at least pick up the phone and dial someone over at Jerrywold to see what, if any, interest there is for Stafford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So does Sheila talk to another owner/GM directly or do we just hang onto Stafford for the remainder of the season and then let the next GM decide? I think we are in a very unique situation, with a very specific trading partner in Dallas. If Shelia has decided she's ready to fire Quinn and Patricia, shouldn't she at least pick up the phone and dial someone over at Jerrywold to see what, if any, interest there is for Stafford?

owners other than jerry jones dont make trades.  sheila isnt going to do that either.

the only way that would happen is if quinn is fired prior to the trade deadline.  and even then its not likely to happen.

the lions would have about a $24 million cap hit next year of they trade or cut stafford.  that alone makes it unlikely to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does a $24 million dollar cap hit really matter if we're tanking and going to be a 3-13 type of team anyways? I would presume if we trade Stafford then that means the bottom is falling out and we're getting one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance in the draft. I would take a $24 million cap hit for an extra first round pick on a rebuilding team. I would also likely be an atrocious GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does a $24 million dollar cap hit really matter if we're tanking and going to be a 3-13 type of team anyways? I would presume if we trade Stafford then that means the bottom is falling out and we're getting one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance in the draft. I would take a $24 million cap hit for an extra first round pick on a rebuilding team. I would also likely be an atrocious GM.

look tater, its the lions.  they'll probably end up picking 4th and the three qbs off the board before them will all end up being hall of famers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as Quinn is in charge won't happen... so:

Offseason, Ford will have to decide that she wants to make a change, and let's go Quinn & Patricia.

New GM selects a QB for the future in the draft. Mid-to-late-season, rookie QB takes over. After next year, offseason, Stafford gets traded.

That's my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

As long as Quinn is in charge won't happen... so:

Offseason, Ford will have to decide that she wants to make a change, and let's go Quinn & Patricia.

New GM selects a QB for the future in the draft. Mid-to-late-season, rookie QB takes over. After next year, offseason, Stafford gets traded.

That's my guess.

If you're going to trade a QB, trade him as a starter, not a backup to a rookie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

If you're going to trade a QB, trade him as a starter, not a backup to a rookie. 

good point.  It's all about roster net value. You never want to reduce  the value of a player you know you are destined to trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 8:35 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

This is only true if you think Hibbert/Tua are better than Lawrence or Fields. Not many talent evaluators think that

Fair enough as generally having the better QB trumps everything.  I guess I just don't think that highly of Okudah. 

I mean think he is going to be great at his position but great CB's are a luxury. If you have holes every where else on the defense it doesn't matter how great of CB you are.  As evidence of the Lions d being horrible despite Slay being one of top 3 backs in football from 15-18. 

In my hypothetical situation(admittedly its hypothetical) we would be able to get a few good players that could impact the team instead of just Okudah.  

Under my hypothetical situation I think the 2021 QB pick would have to be quite a bit better than Tua/Herbert for it to better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yoda said:

If you're going to trade a QB, trade him as a starter, not a backup to a rookie. 

That's a matter of timing. Usually a team keeps the vet to give the new rookie QB time to develop. But a team never knows when they will make the decision to "graduate" the rookie. Really hard to tell when the vet QB will still be the starter... Unless the new regime decides to trade him the same year as the draftee and go with a different vet QB. There's that...

I don't think that actually matters though, as much as whether there is or is not a demand for the QB's services. If one team believes they need Stafford, regardless  of whether he is still the starter or usurped by the new draftee, then he will be traded for whatever FMV (or thereabouts) he holds at the time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's cute in theory but it does matter and it will hurt his value. He'll be a QB who isn't good enough to start for the Lions. Think about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...