kdog

Week 4 Saints at Lions Sunday 1pm

50 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who cares who the Interim HC is?    If Patricia goes then Bob The Barista has to go.   You hire a GM (better yet, give Rod Wood a nice title and give him a figurehead job with the auto company)..............You hire a President/GM to run this thing and you stay out of their way.  Whomever they want as Scouting Director or Coach - don't interfere.     (Santino - don't interfere).   Hey if Bevell gets the job after Thanksgiving (which is what I think will happen) and he goes 3-1, give him a Mustang and say thanks for helping us out, buddy.    I want it cleaned out - completely.  

It's the middle of the season, who are you going to hire as GM right now?  No one.

I think the Lions also have a problem with the succession plan being totally opaque. Can you persuade a top GM/coach duo to come here with a 95 yr old sole owner and no disclosures about what happens to the team when she passes? Is there a trust? Have the other sibs agreed to sell out or cede their interests to Sheila? Does this turn into the Broncos? If I were taking on a major team rebuilding task I'd rather like to know if my owner is still there to have my back in 12 months. It won't be hard to fill he job - GM jobs in the NFL are too rare to go begging, but is the person you really want interested or is he going to wait for a different option?

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think the Lions also have a problem with the succession plan being totally opaque. Can you persuade a top GM/coach duo to come here with a 95 yr old sole owner and no disclosures about what happens to the team when she passes? Is there a trust? Have the other sibs agreed to sell out or cede their interests to Sheila? Does this turn into the Broncos? If I were taking on a major team rebuilding task I'd rather like to know if my owner is still there to have my back in 12 months. It won't be hard to fill he job - GM jobs in the NFL are too rare to go begging, but is the person you really want interested or is he going to wait for a different option?

Martha turned the team over the Sheila before this season.

35 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Martha turned the team over the Sheila before this season.

she turned the management of the team over to her. I doubt she ceded the ownership. That is a major transaction that would have required public fillings and also would have  involved the other three sibs. You don't seriously suppose they would just give up their financial interests without some settlement?

40 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I believe that is "owner" as defined for NFL management purposes. The league designates one person it recognizes officially as having authority to speak for the team. The degree of that person's actual financial control of the team may be variable. You notice in none of the those articles is there any mention of the value of the team being transferred, inherited or otherwise changing hands or the settlement of the financial interests of the other heirs, or even any speculation about the tax bite Sheila would have had if she had received the asset. You don't just give a billion dollar asset to one of your children with a press release and without a peep from the other financially interested parties -- or the IRS!

Also note this line

Hamp Ford said while the buck now stops with her, organizational decisions of that magnitude will continue to be collectively made by the family, including her three siblings. She also stated the expectations set forth for Quinn and Patricia at that meeting remain unchanged. 

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

It's the middle of the season, who are you going to hire as GM right now?  No one.

Bring back Sheldon White...............he will be grinding.    

I don't want Bob Quinn navigating the ship while he's standing on the plank.     They can find someone to run the day-to-day GM duties.  Could they do worse?   I really doubt it.  

I think the one advantage of firing Quinn mid-season is that it allows them to be one of the first teams out of the gate to go to the NFL, get connected with an advisor (Ernie Accorsi again?) and start the GM search process. The minute the season is over we should have 4-5 candidates ready and lined up for GM interviews.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think the one advantage of firing Quinn mid-season is that it allows them to be one of the first teams out of the gate to go to the NFL, get connected with an advisor (Ernie Accorsi again?) and start the GM search process. The minute the season is over we should have 4-5 candidates ready and lined up for GM interviews.

they better not go back to ernie accorsi again.  whats the point in that?  he got you this failed gm, why go back to him again?

sheila is supposed to be more involved in the league and if so, should have more contacts and a better idea of where to go to hire a new person.

no more ernie accorsi, please.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

they better not go back to ernie accorsi again.  whats the point in that?  he got you this failed gm, why go back to him again?

sheila is supposed to be more involved in the league and if so, should have more contacts and a better idea of where to go to hire a new person.

no more ernie accorsi, please.

You scan the Ravens and Steelers organizations..........that's where you start.   Those teams are always relevant, they almost always draft well and they seem to find the right coaches.   Joe Hortiz is the Scouting Director for the Ravens.  That would probably be the top guy on my list.  The Ravens GM is only 49, he's probably not going anywhere for a long time.  If Joe Hortiz wants to be a GM, and of course he would, it would have to be elsewhere.   But any GM worth a crap would have to insist that they have total autonomy over hiring the football operations staff, scouting staff and coaching staff with ZERO interference from ownership, which is something that hasn't seem to happen here yet.  

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You scan the Ravens and Steelers organizations..........that's where you start.   Those teams are always relevant, they almost always draft well and they seem to find the right coaches.   Joe Hortiz is the Scouting Director for the Ravens.  That would probably be the top guy on my list.  The Ravens GM is only 49, he's probably not going anywhere for a long time.  If Joe Hortiz wants to be a GM, and of course he would, it would have to be elsewhere.   But any GM worth a crap would have to insist that they have total autonomy over hiring the football operations staff, scouting staff and coaching staff with ZERO interference from ownership, which is something that hasn't seem to happen here yet.  

I’d throw Seattle in there too.. they won the SB in ’14, and today only 3 players remain from that roster. Yet they look like they'll contend again. That’s pretty impressive. Over roughly that same time period, the Lions have gone from 11-5 straight back to the bottom. One is a well-run franchise, the other is…  the Lions.

I remember when the Packers were NFL’s Siberia - nobody wanted to play there. It took one guy to completely change the direction of that franchise. GB dumped Braatz, brought in Ron Wolf - who immediately canned their horrid coach (Infante), brought in Holmgren, traded for the QB he wanted, and so on (signed Reggie White)… the Packers haven’t looked back since.

For the last two decades, the Lions have been mostly awful. But look who’s been running things: Millen, Millen’s Mini-Me detachment, and Quinn. Just gotta find that one guy out there who can come in and turn it around.

Not that it means anything, but who else thought the officiating crew handed that game to the Bears last night

8 minutes ago, number20 said:

I’d throw Seattle in there too.. they won the SB in ’14, and today only 3 players remain from that roster. Yet they look like they'll contend again. That’s pretty impressive. Over roughly that same time period, the Lions have gone from 11-5 straight back to the bottom. One is a well-run franchise, the other is…  the Lions.

I remember when the Packers were NFL’s Siberia - nobody wanted to play there. It took one guy to completely change the direction of that franchise. GB dumped Braatz, brought in Ron Wolf - who immediately canned their horrid coach (Infante), brought in Holmgren, traded for the QB he wanted, and so on (signed Reggie White)… the Packers haven’t looked back since.

For the last two decades, the Lions have been mostly awful. But look who’s been running things: Millen, Millen’s Mini-Me detachment, and Quinn. Just gotta find that one guy out there who can come in and turn it around.

Agree 100%.  All it takes is either the right GM or coach and everything can change.   The Saints were the laughing stock of the lead for decades till Payton and company came along now they are a premier franchise.

Same with Seattle, aside from the a couple seasons they were irrelevant for a few decades till Carrol and now they are a premier franchise.

Hopefully the Lions can finally find their savior this off-season. 

I'm not completely ready to pile on Sheila Ford yet, but it is clear she is 0-2 in her decision making process thus far with the decision to bring these two guys back. I hope Sheila is in the process of getting with the league or some football consulting firm to help her start the search for and ultimately hire the right GM for the job. I fear they will go on a bit of a run with the easier schedule coming up and Sheila will look at that and decide to bring this regime back and doom us for another season and beyond.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not completely ready to pile on Sheila Ford yet, but it is clear she is 0-2 in her decision making process thus far with the decision to bring these two guys back. I hope Sheila is in the process of getting with the league or some football consulting firm to help her start the search for and ultimately hire the right GM for the job. I fear they will go on a bit of a run with the easier schedule coming up and Sheila will look at that and decide to bring this regime back and doom us for another season and beyond.

I give her a pass on that cause not only were the Lions decimated by injuries last year particularly the one to their most important player which muddied the water but this off-season and potential season is/was unlike any other.  For awhile we weren't even sure if we were going to have one.  

7 hours ago, number20 said:

I think a lot of that has to do with Russell Wilson.  If he wasn't there, I'm not sure they'd be a .500 team.  

One of the issues for the Lions is that it always seems that when they bring someone in, they kind of hamstring them.   The only guy they seemed to give total autonomy to was Matt Millen, who has no front office experience and then they waited way too long to cut him when it should have been obvious it wasn't working.  

Next guy must have Front Office experience - at a high level,  GM, Assistant GM (which is basically what Hortiz in Baltimore is now).  They must also have total freedom to do whatever they want

8 hours ago, number20 said:

Not that it means anything, but who else thought the officiating crew handed that game to the Bears last night

Everyone with eyes.