Jump to content
kdog

Week 4 Saints at Lions Sunday 1pm

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

The Ford’s aren’t the Rooney’s. It took Dan succeeding his father to hire a Chuck Noll

 

well, sheila just succeeded her mother.  she's the only hope we have.  martha asked the league for help and they gave her bob quinn.  thats not martha's fault, she did what she should have done since she didnt know what to do.

now, the fact that she didnt know what to do is an issue and the fact that she hired ron wood to help her and he didnt know what to do is also an issue.

but sheila could be our dan rooney.  its our only hope.  and the rooneys werent the rooneys until dan came along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly (November or December 2020). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

Travis Fulgham with the game winning touchdown for the Eagles!

The guy we cut to keep Jamal Agnew...because we had to cut Jason Huntley...to keep Ty Johnson...who we just cut so we could keep Adrian Peterson.  Or something.

I'm not sure if it's Agnew's fault or the ST coordinator, but I as SOOO sick of seeing him rush out kicks from the endzone.  Every time he does that he risks a fumble or a holding penalty and for what?  What does he gain by running it out?  Twice in the first qtr he ran it out and didn't even make the 25 yard line.
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Orlovsky roasting Matt Patricia today for Patricia having said he took over a team that needed a lot of work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There was a time when the Pittsburgh Steelers were the joke of the NFL.   They never won anything for over 30 years and then they hired the right person and it worked - so it's possible.   They just have to hire the right person.  

Like I said, I hold out .0004% hope they can turn it around. That's based on experience and it comes from a rational mindset. 30 years is one thing. 63 years and heading into yet another tear-down and rebuild is another, totally different level of ineptitude 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Dan Orlovsky roasting Matt Patricia today for Patricia having said he took over a team that needed a lot of work.

 

This AM Jon Jansen was also talking about the lack of in-game adjustments in OL/DL responding to events on the field - in particular that Det D line men are not making the kind of variations in their alignments that would help them beat OL blocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

well, sheila just succeeded her mother.  she's the only hope we have.  martha asked the league for help and they gave her bob quinn.  thats not martha's fault, she did what she should have done since she didnt know what to do.

now, the fact that she didnt know what to do is an issue and the fact that she hired ron wood to help her and he didnt know what to do is also an issue.

but sheila could be our dan rooney.  its our only hope.  and the rooneys werent the rooneys until dan came along.

Lions' fans luck will be that just when Sheila starts to figure it out Martha dies and internecine family disagreements over the disposition result in the sale of the team to another incompetent owner with 50 yrs left on his clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lions' fans luck will be that just when Sheila starts to figure it out Martha dies and internecine family disagreements over the disposition result in the sale of the team to another incompetent owner with 50 yrs left on his clock.

I think fans would hold a parade if this team was sold. Literally, a "sell the team" parade on Woodward to celebrate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think fans would hold a parade if this team was sold. Literally, a "sell the team" parade on Woodward to celebrate.

It's kind of sad too. The Ford family is one of last named companies around that is still attached to real people with the same name - it would make for sort of a fairytale story if they won something in their home town but is appears it is never to be.

It also really doesn't say much for the family legacy. With all the advantages the 4 generations of Ford children have had in life you might expect a few brighter lights to have emerged from the family - say like among the Rockefellers or Kennedies. But the Ford family has produced mostly mediocrities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no doubt that this team is lacking talent compared to the rest of the league so Patricia does have a bit of an out there but with that said good coaches maximize and get the best out the talent they have and Im not so sure Patricia has done that.  In fact I know he hasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

There's no doubt that this team is lacking talent compared to the rest of the league so Patricia does have a bit of an out there but with that said good coaches maximize and get the best out the talent they have and Im not so sure Patricia has done that.  In fact I know he hasn't. 

The talent is lacking mainly because Quintricia chose to make “fits our system” as a more important quality than talented NFL player when assembling this roster.  We have many odd parts that fit only this system.   These are evaluators that viewed Jahlani Tavai as a better fit at MLB than Devin Bush.    They deserve all of the blame.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beginning of the end for anyones career is when they start blaming other people for them sucking.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Dan Orlovsky roasting Matt Patricia today for Patricia having said he took over a team that needed a lot of work.

 

this is revisionist history.  those lions teams were not good and were on their last legs.  that last 9-7 team was 100% matt stafford saving their collective asses with the most 4th quarter comebacks in nfl history (8 of 9 wins were 4th quarter stafford specials).  they had lost suh and fairley, quin was getting older, levy was injured and would never play again, ansah was injured and would play sporadically again, calvin was having a down year and about to retire.

you want to go back to jim bob cooter and three year out passes on every down?  come on.

the thing that could be said about caldwell is that he was smart enough to realize that the team's defense couldnt stop anybody so they played at the slowest pace on offense in the nfl.

now, quinn decided what ALL patriot tree coaches/gms do: the team needs a "culture change" which always means getting rid of good players because they dont "buy in".  like slay or diggs.

criticize patricia and quinn all you want because its warranted, but dont gloss over the caldwell era like that team was anything special or that caldwell was u justly let go.  neither are true.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never really disagreed with Quinn's comment (however he said it) regarding 9-7 not being good enough. It isn’t. Keep in mind, this is a team that was hanging “playoff appearance banners” in their stadium when he took over, and had gone 23 straight years without a division title (let that sink in for a minute). For the Lions, one-and-done in the post season was considered a successful season. Just showing up in the playoffs was a major achievement - that’s as good as it got for this franchise. I think that’s all he meant when he said it. He’s just been incapable of backing it up since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texans fire Head Coach and GM Bill OBrien. I got excited for a second cause I got it as a breaking news report and the first words I saw were "fire Head Coach and GM", I should have known it wouldn't be the Lions. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you know how long it will take this team to dig out from under this mess?  think about all the mediocre-at-best players on this team that are making huge money?

trey flowers, jamie collins, justin coleman, jesse james, vatai.  

they still have to re-sign galloway.  stafford will be making huge money next year if he's still around (and dont think they are going to get some haul of draft picks for him either, he'll likely be cut or get a 3rd or 4th rounder).  

they have to rebuild their whole front seven.  they have no receivers under contract next year at the moment.  are they going to franchise galloway?  jones and amendola are old and jones seems past it.

they have a couple building blocks on the oline, galloway, okudah, swift as a third down back, hockenson?

and thats it.  this team is a dumpster fire.  its going take another 2 to 3 years to get out from under the mess theyve made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Texans fire Head Coach and GM Bill OBrien. I got excited for a second cause I got it as a breaking news report and the first words I saw were "fire Head Coach and GM", I should have known it wouldn't be the Lions. 

speaking of ex patriot dumpster fires...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, six-hopper said:

So you're starting to lose faith in the Rocket Science Defense?

I’ve never had faith in it. I never wanted him hired. I wanted Vrabel. I was right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Buddha said:

do you know how long it will take this team to dig out from under this mess?  think about all the mediocre-at-best players on this team that are making huge money?

trey flowers, jamie collins, justin coleman, jesse james, vatai.  

they still have to re-sign galloway.  stafford will be making huge money next year if he's still around (and dont think they are going to get some haul of draft picks for him either, he'll likely be cut or get a 3rd or 4th rounder).  

they have to rebuild their whole front seven.  they have no receivers under contract next year at the moment.  are they going to franchise galloway?  jones and amendola are old and jones seems past it.

they have a couple building blocks on the oline, galloway, okudah, swift as a third down back, hockenson?

and thats it.  this team is a dumpster fire.  its going take another 2 to 3 years to get out from under the mess theyve made.

I was thinking about this yesterday and the scary part is that OL and CB are the units that are the deepest to build for the future.   That is pretty frightening.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I’ve never had faith in it. I never wanted him hired. I wanted Vrabel. I was right. 

I was on the Pat Schurmer wagon, so I guess I was wrong then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When's it going to be our turn to see some success? Nothing major, just a few deep runs into the playoffs with maybe one Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buddha said:

this is revisionist history.  those lions teams were not good and were on their last legs.  that last 9-7 team was 100% matt stafford saving their collective asses with the most 4th quarter comebacks in nfl history (8 of 9 wins were 4th quarter stafford specials).  they had lost suh and fairley, quin was getting older, levy was injured and would never play again, ansah was injured and would play sporadically again, calvin was having a down year and about to retire.

you want to go back to jim bob cooter and three year out passes on every down?  come on.

the thing that could be said about caldwell is that he was smart enough to realize that the team's defense couldnt stop anybody so they played at the slowest pace on offense in the nfl.

now, quinn decided what ALL patriot tree coaches/gms do: the team needs a "culture change" which always means getting rid of good players because they dont "buy in".  like slay or diggs.

criticize patricia and quinn all you want because its warranted, but dont gloss over the caldwell era like that team was anything special or that caldwell was u justly let go.  neither are true.

This. I understand where the finger-pointing to Caldwell comes from and I agree that I would prefer a 9-7 just-miss season to this dumpster fire, but Caldwell needed to be fired when he was fired.

I go back to Christmas Eve 2017 when we came into Cincinnati at 8-6 needing a win against a not good Bengals team to keep playoff hopes alive. Instead we went and took a dump at midfield. Caldwell was never going to get us to the next step, and I would rather that realization be made four years in than be content with occasionally losing a playoff game seven times over 16 years (ironically the Bengals coach at the time, Marvin Lewis).

Of course the hope is that you then bring in a guy who can get you over the hump, not a guy whose claim to fame is being the DC on the team Malcolm Butler plays for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was on the Pat Schurmer wagon, so I guess I was wrong then.

eric bienemy should be the next head coach of the lions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

eric bienemy should be the next head coach of the lions.

👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This. I understand where the finger-pointing to Caldwell comes from and I agree that I would prefer a 9-7 just-miss season to this dumpster fire, but Caldwell needed to be fired when he was fired.

I go back to Christmas Eve 2017 when we came into Cincinnati at 8-6 needing a win against a not good Bengals team to keep playoff hopes alive. Instead we went and took a dump at midfield. Caldwell was never going to get us to the next step, and I would rather that realization be made four years in than be content with occasionally losing a playoff game seven times over 16 years (ironically the Bengals coach at the time, Marvin Lewis).

Of course the hope is that you then bring in a guy who can get you over the hump, not a guy whose claim to fame is being the DC on the team Malcolm Butler plays for.

Yes, but this "genius" is not the guy that needs to be throwing darts at Caldwell.    What exactly are we doing here?  Every aspect of the Detroit Lions is worse in his 3rd year than it was with Caldwell (wait, the punting unit is better, I guess I'll give Matt & Bob that one).   Terrible drafts, basically loading the team with Patriot cast-offs to replace the guys they drafted.   I really don't know what the vision is here.   I think it's clear that both Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia were glorified errand boys for Bill Belichick and I doubt either one of them rises to their current rank with another NFL team ever again.     And I will say it again, simply adding guys from the old team because you know them is lazy..........LAZY !    Remember Randy Smith?   It doesn't work.      Hey, but at least Bob Quinn knows how Belichick likes his coffee......

O'Brien is out. 

Dan Quinn could be out today

What are we waiting for?   Fire them now.  Don't like Bob Quinn make anymore stupid moves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (November/December 2020). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...