theroundsquare

2020 Playoff Picks

so after all the handwringing, its the best team in the AL against the best team in the NL?

Going into the season I pretty much knew the Rays would be there but really surprised by the Dodgers. Baseball can be so unpredictable. 

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Going into the season I pretty much knew the Rays would be there but really surprised by the Dodgers. Baseball can be so unpredictable. 

I probably had the exact opposite view.  I fully expected the Dodgers, but not necessarily the Rays to make it to the World Series.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I probably had the exact opposite view.  I fully expected the Dodgers, but not necessarily the Rays to make it to the World Series.

Sarcasm, man. :)

16 hours ago, Yoda said:

This is a life skill. If kids can't figure out how to fool their parents and watch the game under their covers like I did, they don't deserve baseball. And it's way easier nowadays. 

In all seriousness, it's pretty easy these days to get up and watch the last couple innings in the morning.

And with all of the other games, I find it hard to believe that missing all of part of the west coast games (or watching it the next day) is what will drive a kid away from baseball. 

In reality, how often is the average east coast kid's team even playing on the west coast during the playoffs? 3 or 4 games in one offseason every 4 or 5 years? 

It just doesn't seem like something significant enough to make such a substantial change for. 

Your first paragraph is great old man schtick.  Bravo.

But as for the rest of it, I mean, in all seriousness, it's pretty easy these days to record the game, ignore the game until you get home, and then watch the recording of the game whilst skipping the commercials.  Its the perfect set up, its the way the baseball gods intended it to be.

As for the east coast vs west coast and how much on average one vs the other.  That just doesn't jive for baseball, or sports in general.  Leagues are looking to broaden their viewership during their championships.  So it would seem they would want to look beyond the participating markets.

cM-B3tIBNQj6ufc0vn_YPdSt7onkNU-jLOPq6s9p

Majority should rule.  And I like this map that has Michigan covered in scarlet.

Now, I will admit, if there are two west coast teams going at it, like the 2002 World Series, start it later.  I can understand that.

My son is almost 20.  Been going to baseball games with me his whole life.

He couldn't care less about baseball.  He watches the NBA, college football and basketball, that's it.

They rarely watch games like we do.  They have it on while doing something else... or they just wait to listen to what Barstool Sports says about the game... that's how they watch.   My son might have it on his phone or tablet while playing his video game, then if something happens, which he'll find out some other way, he'll back it up and see it.  But to just sit and watch the TV or the screen in real time?  Rare.  Michigan football games are really the only time he does that.

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My son is almost 20.  Been going to baseball games with me his whole life.

He couldn't care less about baseball.  He watches the NBA, college football and basketball, that's it.

They rarely watch games like we do.  They have it on while doing something else... or they just wait to listen to what Barstool Sports says about the game... that's how they watch.   My son might have it on his phone or tablet while playing his video game, then if something happens, which he'll find out some other way, he'll back it up and see it.  But to just sit and watch the TV or the screen in real time?  Rare.  Michigan football games are really the only time he does that.

This is part of the reasoning behind the NBA's ratings being down.  The current ratings system reflects traditional TV watching, but doesn't include how the younger generation consumes it.  So, the math behind that makes sense to me.

I don't know.  I can't imagine trying to watch a game on a phone unless it were the only option.  Highlights, or maybe like a condensed game via MLB.com, OK, fine.

I guarantee you when he wakes up today around noon and I ask him if he say Mookie's catch, he'll say something like "Yeah, Bill Burr was talking about it" and he'll have seen a tweet showing it.  For them that's good enough.  

The Lighting won the Stanley Cup and the Lakers NBA Finals so the winner of the World Series gets to claim city supremacy this year in sports. 

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

But as for the rest of it, I mean, in all seriousness, it's pretty easy these days to record the game, ignore the game until you get home, and then watch the recording of the game whilst skipping the commercials.  Its the perfect set up, its the way the baseball gods intended it to be.

As for the east coast vs west coast and how much on average one vs the other.  That just doesn't jive for baseball, or sports in general.  Leagues are looking to broaden their viewership during their championships.  So it would seem they would want to look beyond the participating markets.

Majority should rule.  And I like this map that has Michigan covered in scarlet.

Now, I will admit, if there are two west coast teams going at it, like the 2002 World Series, start it later.  I can understand that.

I promise you when they determine it's economically feasible to move all west coast playoff games to 430 they will do it. They aren't not doing it just to **** you off. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Lighting won the Stanley Cup and the Lakers NBA Finals so the winner of the World Series gets to claim city supremacy this year in sports. 

It's the first time ever both cities in the WS also have a championship in another sport the same year. 

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

c

I have never recorded a game..  I am sure it's easy, but I don't think I have the equipment to do it, and am I not interested anyway.  I wouldn't be interested in watching a game after it is already over. I can just find a box score and highlights some place.  I might watch a game many years later for sentimental reasons, but not right after it's over.  

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I promise you when they determine it's economically feasible to move all west coast playoff games to 430 they will do it. They aren't not doing it just to **** you off. 

I know.  It just seems that MLB is trying to **** me off.  It is all about the money just like everything else.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have never recorded a game..  I am sure it's easy, but I don't think I have the equipment to do it, and am I not interested anyway.  I wouldn't be interested in watching a game after it is already over. I can just find a box score and highlights some place.  I might watch a game many years later for sentimental reasons, but not right after it's over.  

Same. But I watch them all on the app. I can start from the beginning at any time. But playoff games aren't on there and locals wouldn't be able to anyhow. Maybe they can be streamed later from the TBS or FOX app, whichever network carried it. Like you I never watch games after they happen. 

22 hours ago, Yoda said:

Oh, I realize why the deci$ion$ are made.  Gotta squeeze every possible nickel out of every possible resource. 

Playoff baseball is also a nice contradiction for speeding up the game.  Gotta speed up the game with a non pitching intentional walk, but at the same time, add time to the commercial breaks.

I'm stupid, but I'm not an idiot.

22 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I probably couldn't watch it next day.  Its too tough to stay away from the result.  I can maybe start up an hour or two late and play catch up.

I work with a Giants fan.  His shift starts at 6am.  So for the west coast games, he'd nap after work, sleep like 8p-2a, and then wake up and watch the previous night's game before work.  I don't know that I could do that.