theroundsquare

2020 Playoff Picks

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I know that travel is a bit of an obstacle for playoff baseball, but, I think that reduced off days are more like regular season baseball.  I would like them to keep it going forward, but I know it won't happen.  And in fairness, the off days are probably needed considering the scheduling of games to satisfy TV (ie, day games during the week, slotting 3 games in a day without much overlap, etc.).

The reduced off days are the only good thing about this year's format.  I do not care about this season and am not watching games, but I am following the box scores and stories and I like that it's moving along fast.  I would like to see this format in the future, but not with 16 teams.  8 is plenty.  Go Astros! 

If it means games would be every day and with some daylight, I'd be open to the World Series being at a neutral PT or MT site in the future.

Dodgers off to a quick start today. I prefer Tampa and Atlanta, but Dodgers-Astros would generate the most interest and hate.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If it means games would be every day and with some daylight, I'd be open to the World Series being at a neutral PT or MT site in the future.

Dodgers off to a quick start today. I prefer Tampa and Atlanta, but Dodgers-Astros would generate the most interest and hate.

you may be the only person on earth who prefers tampa-atlanta.

that's mlb's nightmare series.

32 minutes ago, Buddha said:

If it is a nightmare series for MLB, then I might get on the bandwagon.  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I'm hoping Tampa - Atlanta.

And the Astros were just sent packing 

Rays win pennant. If they had blown lead, there would have been questions why Charlie Morton was pulled after 6 masterful innings and only 66 pitches. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

If it is a nightmare series for MLB, then I might get on the bandwagon.  

Concur.  Why participate if MLB hates you?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I prefer Tampa because I’d rather the team with the best record in the AL beat an under .500 team. 

I need a break from the Dodgers. Clay Travis and I will cheer for the Braves tomorrow. 

On 10/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, tiger337 said:

The reduced off days are the only good thing about this year's format.  I do not care about this season and am not watching games, but I am following the box scores and stories and I like that it's moving along fast.  I would like to see this format in the future, but not with 16 teams.  8 is plenty.  Go Astros! 

There have been some good playoff games and I like that both LCS are going 7 although I didn't like seeing Houston get this far. 

I agree with you about the number of playoff teams.  I don't see a need for over half of the league to be involved.  I don't know how much credence to give the rest vs rust when byes are involved in baseball playoffs.  If they go 6 teams in each league and make the first round a quick best 2 of 3 game series in one locale or if they were to go 8 teams in each league, but they go something along the lines of the 8 seed has to win all 3 games to advance while the 1 seed only needs to win 1 game....  I don't know, maybe that's still a bit too contrived.

18 hours ago, lordstanley said:

There were some pretty gnarly shadows in San Diego's daylight.  But I don't have to deal with them, so whatevs.

The WS games should be started no later than 7:30pm ET.  Once I become emperor of the world, I will make that change.  Book it.

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

There were some pretty gnarly shadows in San Diego's daylight.  But I don't have to deal with them, so whatevs.

The WS games should be started no later than 7:30pm ET.  Once I become emperor of the world, I will make that change.  Book it.

That's 430 PT. People aren't even out of work yet. 

14 minutes ago, Yoda said:

That's 430 PT. People aren't even out of work yet. 

Is it more important that the west coast people get to watch the first inning or that the east coast people get to watch the last inning?  

28 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Is it more important that the west coast people get to watch the first inning or that the east coast people get to watch the last inning?  

It's easier for east coast people to stay up late than for west coast people to get out of work early, where many don't even have that option.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

It's easier for east coast people to stay up late than for west coast people to get out of work early, where many don't even have that option.

What if you're a kid and your parents don't let you stay up late?

What if you don't want to stay up past midnight every night for a whole week because you'll too tired and unproductive the next day?  

59 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

What if you're a kid and your parents don't let you stay up late?

What if you don't want to stay up past midnight every night for a whole week because you'll too tired and unproductive the next day?  

But you have that option. That's the point. Sorry, it's not a perfect scenario. Someone has to give. Forcing east coasters to stay up late seems like an easier situation than forcing west coasters to get off work early. 

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

But you have that option. That's the point. Sorry, it's not a perfect scenario. Someone has to give. Forcing east coasters to stay up late seems like an easier situation than forcing west coasters to get off work early. 

Someone has to give.  As long as it's not the guy on the west coast!

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Someone has to give.  As long as it's not the guy on the west coast!

Solid argument. Totally changed my mind. 

I spent 41 years on Eastern Time. But sure, I'm just west coast biased. 

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Solid argument. Totally changed my mind. 

I spent 41 years on Eastern Time. But sure, I'm just west coast biased. 

You didn't address my argument about kids missing the end of the games because their parents make them go to bed.  I hear lots of complaints that only old people like baseball. So, it seems that people would want kids to be able to watch games.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You didn't address my argument about kids missing the end of the games because their parents make them go to bed.  I hear lots of complaints that only old people like baseball. So, it seems that people would want kids to be able to watch games.  

This is a life skill. If kids can't figure out how to fool their parents and watch the game under their covers like I did, they don't deserve baseball. And it's way easier nowadays. 

In all seriousness, it's pretty easy these days to get up and watch the last couple innings in the morning.

And with all of the other games, I find it hard to believe that missing all of part of the west coast games (or watching it the next day) is what will drive a kid away from baseball. 

In reality, how often is the average east coast kid's team even playing on the west coast during the playoffs? 3 or 4 games in one offseason every 4 or 5 years? 

It just doesn't seem like something significant enough to make such a substantial change for. 

People on west coast can watch the first inning the next morning.  

It's not just 3 or 4 games every few years.  There are a lot of games that start too late even if they aren't on the west coast.    

West Coast guy here. I love 4:30pm starts for playoff baseball and hockey. Allows to me enjoy overtimes and extra innings. Can check 1st inning results on your phone, listen to a couple of innings on the radio on the commute home, have the middle innings on as you prepare dinner and then kick back and enjoy the last few innings on your couch. Very civilized.  Then with the game over by, say, 8pm that leaves plenty of time in the evening for us to go out and do yoga, protest in the streets, stare out of a Starbucks window or whatever else we feel like doing.

49 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

West Coast guy here. I love 4:30pm starts for playoff baseball and hockey. Allows to me enjoy overtimes and extra innings. Can check 1st inning results on your phone, listen to a couple of innings on the radio on the commute home, have the middle innings on as you prepare dinner and then kick back and enjoy the last few innings on your couch. Very civilized.  Then with the game over by, say, 8pm that leaves plenty of time in the evening for us to go out and do yoga, protest in the streets, stare out of a Starbucks window or whatever else we feel like doing.

I love them too but also understand that, during the week, it is not practical for a lot of people and that I don't think MLB has to schedule them early to please the east coast. Whether or not some people like the early start is not what we're discussing. 

This is a good game. Back and forth scores. Dodgers tied it on a home run in the 6th but then just had a runner thrown out at the plate. 3-3 after 6.