RatkoVarda

2020-21 Off season

I recall Rick Porcello kind of talking **** about the tigers once he got to Boston. So he can go **** himself. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

had a ridiculous BABIP of .373 (worst in MLB) and an awful strand rate; FIP and xFIP were good; he his healthy; should have a good shot at 180 innings of 4.50 era

I would just like to avoid the Ivan Nova's of the world and get someone who can not only eat innings, but effectively.  I also realize that those guys are hard to come by and in great demand.

44 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I recall Rick Porcello kind of talking **** about the tigers once he got to Boston. So he can go **** himself. 

Lots of people here kind of talk **** about the Tigers too.  

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Lots of people here kind of talk **** about the Tigers too.  

True, but I don’t want to get banned.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm not sure Porcello is any improvement over Fulmer, Rony Garcia, etc... at this point in his career.  He seems to have achieved Mike Pelfrey status.

I’m not saying I would sign him. I’m saying I could see the Tigers signing him.

Porcello did have a solid K/BB ratio so maybe some of his problems were due to bad luck.  Even despite that out of his 12 starts he did throw 4 quality starts and another 2 with 6IP 4R.   That's better than any non Turnbull starter on the Tigers staff.  He essentially "kept them in the game" for half his starts which is more than you can say for the non Turnbull guys on the Tigers.  So while I certainly would like somebody better than him I think he would still be an upgrade over the guys we have right now.  Of course that says more about us than it does him.  

Depending on what it would cost I would be open to signing Realmuto.  Hypothetically lets say we can get him on a 5/100 contract, I think I'd go for that.  He may only have a few years left of catching but by then Cabrera will be gone so DH will open up so he could play his last two years there.  Also that would coincide with Dingler who probably won't be ready till late 22 or 23.   Dingler can relieve him the first year or so then by 2024 when Realmuto will presumably move to DH full time Dingler can slide into the catcher's role.  Realmuto is also a capable 1B so you could also play him there when needed.  

We need talent however we can get it, we have money to spend and we don't have a sure replacement at catcher ain the next couple years so if he can be had for 5 or 6 years I would really consider it.  He would immediately make us 5 or 6 wins better next year.    Also he is perhaps the best defensive catcher in the league right now and a great framer, he could potentially help our young starters immensely as well.  

3 hours ago, leflore said:

I'm being followed by a Porcello shadow

leflore is drunk again.

8 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Leapin and hoppin on a Porcello shadow

And if I ever lose my hands, I won't have to pitch no more.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And if I ever lose my hands, I won't have to pitch no more.

I saw him live at McMaster University in my third year, in the fall of 1971.  Warm-up act:  The Turtles!

Detroit – Ilitch Holdings Inc. announced a realignment of business operations Wednesday that includes temporary furloughs and layoffs.

The move comes after six months paying salaries and benefits for all employees of the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, and at the Fox Theatre, despite the cancellation of more than 200 sporting and entertainment events during measures to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Baseball and hockey operations staffs are expected to be unaffected by the realignment.   

Chris Granger, group president of sports and entertainment for Ilitch Holdings, sent emails to the affected employees Wednesday morning.

“Our industry, one predicated on bringing people together and designed to bring joy to so many, was the first to shut down and, most likely, will be one of the last to return,” Granger wrote.  “Indeed, even as capacity restrictions are relaxed, we remain severely limited in our ability to welcome back guests in any meaningful way.  Of course, we are not alone. COVID-19 has negatively impacted the entire sports and entertainment industry, including our partners, our vendors, our sponsors, and our guests.

“It is in this environment that we have had to make the difficult decision, with respect to our business operations, to put in place some temporary furloughs, as well as layoffs.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2020/09/30/tigers-wings-fox-theatre-face-business-side-layoffs-and-furloughs/3585351001/

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Depending on what it would cost I would be open to signing Realmuto.  Hypothetically lets say we can get him on a 5/100 contract, I think I'd go for that. 

If the price is reasonable, Nats or Mets (or Phillies) will pay that for Realmuto. They would need to overpay, I think.

It's too bad we didn't sign Nick "JD Martinez" Castellanos long term.

I'd love to be able to pencil his .225/.298/.486 slash lineup into the heart of our order for the next 5 years.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

this is unfortunate, but it was inevitable.  when you're for-profit, and your revenue is drastically impacted, you have to reduce your cost, with labor being one of the most flexible.  hopefully it was mostly furloughs, as the team is paying their benefits and there is an easier way back, once the venues can start to generate revenue again.  

On 9/29/2020 at 12:53 PM, RatkoVarda said:

had a ridiculous BABIP of .373 (worst in MLB) and an awful strand rate; FIP and xFIP were good; he his healthy; should have a good shot at 180 innings of 4.50 era

Crazy high BABIP this year, which is often a matter of bad luck but is sometimes an indicator of lots of very hittable pitches.  And his FIP may be something of a small-sample fluke, because his rate of home runs allowed was just half of last year's, and was lower  -- in most cases much lower -- than his rate in every other season since 2014.  That stinginess with long balls way be at least as unsustainable as his BABIP.

Porcello was lousy last year, too.  Two straight seasons of giving up tons of hits and having a high WHIP, with ERAs of 5.52 and 5.64, and ERA+ of 87 and 75.  

I wouldn't come within a ten-foot social distance of him, but he may be right up Al Avila's alley. 

Twins knocked out. 18 straight playoff losses. Yuck. Ouch. Pow. Kaboom. Asymptote. Barbed wire. 

no way in porcello.  nope nope nope.

below average pitcher who is getting older and less effective.  you'd be better off playing the kids.

I could see a 1 yr 3 mil for Porcello. Nothing more.  Det is still going to need SP next season. 

5 minutes ago, leflore said:

I could see a 1 yr 3 mil for Porcello. Nothing more.  Det is still going to need SP next season. 

Why? We didn’t have any this year

is mize isnt better than porcello next season....we might need to start worrying about mize.

Mize's k-rate in the minors and this year at MLB are consistent at 8 per 9.  His BB rate would have to be a lot lower for elite outcomes.

Seems like his FB was at the root of the problem this year....hopefully this can improve dramatically.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Mize's k-rate in the minors and this year at MLB are consistent at 8 per 9.  His BB rate would have to be a lot lower for elite outcomes.

Seems like his FB was at the root of the problem this year....hopefully this can improve dramatically.

yeah - the FB needs work. He's missed pitching too many competitive innings and his command is probably suffering for it.

But his WHIP last year in the minors was 0.94. I was 1.48 this year in the majors. The same k/9 is a better K% at a WHIP of 0.94 than at a WHIP of 1.48. That is a difference of 4.5 batters faced per game so even at a  20% K rate it's a difference of one K per nine at the same K%. So by that measure his K rate was down from his MiLB performance last season.