Jump to content
RatkoVarda

2020-21 Off season

Recommended Posts

Having a runner start at second in extra innings is really dumb.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

I agree, I can maybe see doing it after say 12 or 13 innings to perhaps try to end the game sooner, kinda like how College Football makes teams go for two after a certain number of OTs but to do it in the 10th doesn't make a ton of sense to me.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a regular season game, if people feel the games get too long, just end the game in a tie after 13 innings (or they could suspend it).  No need for gimmicks.  For the playoffs, just keep playing the game as it was played the first nine innings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

For a regular season game, if people feel the games get too long, just end the game in a tie after 13 innings (or they could suspend it).  No need for gimmicks.  For the playoffs, just keep playing the game as it was played the first nine innings.  

i hate starting a runner on second.  like i said, its a solution in search of a problem.

so few games go to extra innings that it doesnt really make any meaningful difference nor does it solve the issue of games taking too long in general.  as support for that, i note that games this year took EVEN LONGER than last year.

the issue with baseball - if you think it has one - is with the pace of play.  and manfred has offered nothing to meaningfully offer to change that.  

get ball.  pitch ball.

that solves almost all of baseball's problems.  get a pitch clock.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i hate starting a runner on second.  like i said, its a solution in search of a problem.

so few games go to extra innings that it doesnt really make any meaningful difference nor does it solve the issue of games taking too long in general.  as support for that, i note that games this year took EVEN LONGER than last year.

the issue with baseball - if you think it has one - is with the pace of play.  and manfred has offered nothing to meaningfully offer to change that.  

get ball.  pitch ball.

that solves almost all of baseball's problems.  get a pitch clock.  

Pace of play is probably the biggest problem.

The other one which I think is a problem but not everyone agrees is that there are not enough balls in play.  There are too many strikeouts and too many home runs.  I don't expect them to do anything about that because "chicks dig the long ball".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tiger337 said:

Pace of play is probably the biggest problem.

The other one which I think is a problem but not everyone agrees is that there are not enough balls in play.  There are too many strikeouts and too many home runs.  I don't expect them to do anything about that because "chicks dig the long ball".  

i agree, but the teams have convinced themselves - through running the numbers, i assume - that the best way to score is to hit home runs.  so that's how they construct their teams.

the league must agree because they appear to incentivize it too if the rumors about livelier balls are true.

the royals won by playing defense and putting the ball in play, just like tennessee can win in the pass happy nfl by running the ball.  i'd like to see more teams try the royals' model rather than try to ape the yankees and red sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i agree, but the teams have convinced themselves - through running the numbers, i assume - that the best way to score is to hit home runs.  so that's how they construct their teams.

the league must agree because they appear to incentivize it too if the rumors about livelier balls are true.

the royals won by playing defense and putting the ball in play, just like tennessee can win in the pass happy nfl by running the ball.  i'd like to see more teams try the royals' model rather than try to ape the yankees and red sox.

I think they can change the approach to the game if they deaden the ball making it harder to hit home runs.  This should also bring down the number of strikeouts a bit as there would be more focus on making contact.  However, I don't think they have any interest in cutting back on homeruns.  

I prefer more variety in the game.  I don't like it when all players on all teams are trying to hit home runs.  I think it's more entertaining if you've got some guys that get on base, others who spray the ball around the field along with some big sluggers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they can change the approach to the game if they deaden the ball making it harder to hit home runs.  This should also bring down the number of strikeouts a bit as there would be more focus on making contact.  However, I don't think they have any interest in cutting back on homeruns.  

I prefer more variety in the game.  I don't like it when all players on all teams are trying to hit home runs.  I think it's more entertaining if you've got some guys that get on base, others who spray the ball around the field along with some big sluggers.  

How about we first figure out how the Tigers can get more homers, before we come up with ways for them to get less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they can change the approach to the game if they deaden the ball making it harder to hit home runs.  This should also bring down the number of strikeouts a bit as there would be more focus on making contact.  However, I don't think they have any interest in cutting back on homeruns.  

I prefer more variety in the game.  I don't like it when all players on all teams are trying to hit home runs.  I think it's more entertaining if you've got some guys that get on base, others who spray the ball around the field along with some big sluggers.  

Baseball is looking at exactly what basketball has become - a game dominated by only two plays. In Basketball the question is how to reduce the value of the three - which isn't easy now because there is no room at the baseline to lengthen the arc. Baseball has a lot more levers available as noted - both in terms of forcing the pitch to pitch time down and reducing HRs, but OTOH, there is far less confidence that Baseball's top management will act in anything other than the same counterproductive way they have for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

How about we first figure out how the Tigers can get more homers, before we come up with ways for them to get less.

No, I'd rather fix baseball first and let the teams adjust.  As for the Tigers, maybe a different kind of game will benefit them.  Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the extra innings thing, I would argue that extra innings baseball already wasn’t “real baseball.” It becomes just a series on 1-inning mini-games. The traditional tie breaking procedure of playing this series of 1-inning games until you get a winner was fine, because it’s effectively just breaking a tie. So that’s why I don’t really care if they use some other mechanism to grant a winner of a game that was tied after 9 innings. In either situation it balances out in the long run.
 

Again, I don’t care either way. Use the runner. Don’t use the runner. Use a home run derby. 
 

I do agree that the game would be improved with fewer strikeouts and home runs. There is an easy solution to that. Maybe some day they will change it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No, I'd rather fix baseball first and let the teams adjust.  As for the Tigers, maybe a different kind of game will benefit them.  Who knows?

Hey i just wanted to make a crack that our offense is no Bueno 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

On the extra innings thing, I would argue that extra innings baseball already wasn’t “real baseball.” It becomes just a series on 1-inning mini-games. The traditional tie breaking procedure of playing this series of 1-inning games until you get a winner was fine, because it’s effectively just breaking a tie. So that’s why I don’t really care if they use some other mechanism to grant a winner of a game that was tied after 9 innings. In either situation it balances out in the long run.
 

 

Why not just end it in a tie after 13 innings (or however many innings people think is too long)?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why not just end it in a tie after 13 innings (or however many innings people think is too long)?  

Get rid of extra innings altogether....9 innings....tied?  Then it's a tie.  I agree about get ball throw ball.  Seriously reduce step outs, no walking around the mound after a K.....have the next batter ready to go quicker.

Personally I am fine with the game as it is, but if these are problems preventing the game from growing...then so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why not just end it in a tie after 13 innings (or however many innings people think is too long)?  

Just end it after 9. I don’t care much what they do. Anything after playing nine innings that gives each team an equivalent opportunity is fine with me. Have a stolen base contest. Get weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Baseball is looking at exactly what basketball has become - a game dominated by only two plays. In Basketball the question is how to reduce the value of the three - which isn't easy now because there is no room at the baseline to lengthen the arc. Baseball has a lot more levers available as noted - both in terms of forcing the pitch to pitch time down and reducing HRs, but OTOH, there is far less confidence that Baseball's top management will act in anything other than the same counterproductive way they have for decades.

both sports ruined by analytics.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

both sports ruined by analytics.

They were ruined by greed trying to appeal to newbie fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

They were ruined by greed trying to appeal to newbie fans.  

I don't think there is anything wrong theoretically with long shots being worth more in basketball, the problem is that the court isn't big enough for the skill of players who have grown up trying become good long shooters. When it was put into place 40 yrs ago no-one dreamed half the players in the league (or whatever it is) would make better than a third of their 3 pt attempts, so I don't hold that against the management. 

OTOH, in baseball, anyone with a brain could have predicted that the response to a live ball would be bigger swings and more K's and more pitchers pitching for the K. Baseball's management was simply thoughtless, or worse, malignant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's just the live ball to blame even though it obviously contributes to it big time. 

I just think the biggest culprit is that pitchers now just have too good of stuff, particularly since you rarely see any pitcher more than twice now. 

I think batters and teams realize that its unlikely you're gonna string 5 or 6 hits in an inning against stuff like that so your best bet is to try to run into one.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deaden the ball back to early 1980's.  All the little runts would only have warning track power and they would have to learn how to hit line drives.

in basketball, get rid of the 3.  Or at least increase the arc so that the corner 3 doesn't exist anymore, it is the easiest shot and should only be worth 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

4. Tigers manager

Hinch and Cora are in play here as well — Hinch’s closeness to assistant GM Scott Bream adds an extra tie. There is young talent, headed by pitcher Casey Mize and slugger Spencer Torkelson, ready or nearly ready. There is an AL Central in which no team is going to join the financial super heavyweight category. So there is an avenue for steady growth and contention soon.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/21/ranking-five-best-mlb-general-manager-manager-openings/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way the Red Sox is more attractive, they are toast.  No farm system, little MLB talent and are way behind the Yankees, Rays and Blue Jays in their division. 

On top of that they also play for a city and fan base that expects to win so your leash is going to be short.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

No way the Red Sox is more attractive, they are toast.  No farm system, little MLB talent and are way behind the Yankees, Rays and Blue Jays in their division. 

The magic of DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Deaden the ball back to early 1980's.  All the little runts would only have warning track power and they would have to learn how to hit line drives.

in basketball, get rid of the 3.  Or at least increase the arc so that the corner 3 doesn't exist anymore, it is the easiest shot and should only be worth 2.

The 70s and 80s had good balance except for the juiced ball in 87.  I missed most of the 60s, but I think that era was a little too dominated by pitching.  It started getting crazy in the 90s and never went back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,835
    • Total Posts
      3,030,601
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...