six-hopper

It's official. Last place again

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think they will give Willi Castro more time to work out his problems at shortstop.  The time to pursue a shortstop is next year when there should be multiple stars available  

I hope so...Castro is a pretty exciting prospect...I hope he can figure it out at SS where they need him.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, lordstanley said:

I dont think it is official. I think the Tigers could win tomorrow and if the Cards need to make up 2 games the Tigers could win them and finish a game up on KC. 

Now it's official.

And what is especially alarming to me is that the foundation of the rebuild is supposedly good young starting pitching, but the Tigers had the worst Team ERA in the Majors this year, and most of that falls on the starters -- the Free Press noted yesterday that the Team ERA for starting pitchers (I think only in the games that they started) was a historically awful 6.37.

A lot of ultimately great pitchers started off their careers getting shelled, and having serious control problems, so it's far too soon to label some of the Tigers' highly touted young arms as busts.  But even in a relatively small sample, historically bad is not good.

Mize and Skubal, in a perfect world, would have been getting innings in the minors this year and then called up when ready. Perhaps they still would have struggled, but neither had the control that they have shown in the past. Like you said  though not a cause for alarm yet.

What is more concerning is the steps back that Boyd, Jimenez and Fulmer took. Coming into this season we were hoping they could take a step forward and establish themselves as either pieces of our future rotation or trade bait. Now each one needs to get it together or they will be back in the minors.

It has been such a weird year it's hard to draw too many conclusions from it, but next year will tell us a lot about the timetable towards future contention.

7 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Mize and Skubal, in a perfect world, would have been getting innings in the minors this year and then called up when ready. Perhaps they still would have struggled, but neither had the control that they have shown in the past. Like you said  though not a cause for alarm yet.

What is more concerning is the steps back that Boyd, Jimenez and Fulmer took. Coming into this season we were hoping they could take a step forward and establish themselves as either pieces of our future rotation or trade bait. Now each one needs to get it together or they will be back in the minors.

It has been such a weird year it's hard to draw too many conclusions from it, but next year will tell us a lot about the timetable towards future contention.

the good news, I hope, is that a new manager will yield a new pitching coach.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Now it's official.

And what is especially alarming to me is that the foundation of the rebuild is supposedly good young starting pitching, but the Tigers had the worst Team ERA in the Majors this year, and most of that falls on the starters -- the Free Press noted yesterday that the Team ERA for starting pitchers (I think only in the games that they started) was a historically awful 6.37.

A lot of ultimately great pitchers started off their careers getting shelled, and having serious control problems, so it's far too soon to label some of the Tigers' highly touted young arms as busts.  But even in a relatively small sample, historically bad is not good.

They are just waiting for Verlander's contract to expire so they can sign him.  The fact that he will be 39 and recovering from Tommy John surgery might be a bit of a snag in their plans, but I have faith in Avila.  

39 and recovering from TJ. If anyone can do it, JV is that guy. But I'd say odds are very slim he approaches his cy level

5 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

They are just waiting for Verlander's contract to expire so they can sign him.  The fact that he will be 39 and recovering from Tommy John surgery might be a bit of a snag in their plans, but I have faith in Avila.  

pivot to Scherzer.  With DD and the old man gone, I'm sure there is a way back.

I think having Skubal and Mize on the opening day roster may have helped them in their development.  Or at least waiting for the 2 weeks or whatever for service time.

8 hours ago, Tigermania said:

I think having Skubal and Mize on the opening day roster may have helped them in their development.  Or at least waiting for the 2 weeks or whatever for service time.

Skubal ended up looking more ready than Mize. I think Mize might have benefited by dropping back to lesser competition once he saw what he had to work on. Seemed like his confidence was kind of shot at the end.

Faedo is the one I wish they had started the season with - not that he has the most upside but it seemed more pointless not to in his case than the others.  Kid has 500 IP now, you might as well have given him his shot and seen what you had.