six-hopper

It's official. Last place again

Yesterday's loss put the Tigers two games behind the fourth-place Royals with two to play.  But even if the Tigers win the last two games with Kansas City,, because the Royals are playing their "full" 60-game schedule and the Tigers are topping out at 58, the Tigers will have a lower Winning Percentage than KC.  So once again they're in the cellar of the weak-a** AL Central.

Woo hoo!

As long as Chris I makes money and Avila keeps his job, I'm happy, and I know so many others here agree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Yesterday's loss put the Tigers two games behind the fourth-place Royals with two to play.  But even if the Tigers win the last two games with Kansas City,, because the Royals are playing their "full" 60-game schedule and the Tigers are topping out at 58, the Tigers will have a lower Winning Percentage than KC.  So once again they're in the cellar of the weak-a** AL Central.

Woo hoo!

I dont think it is official. I think the Tigers could win tomorrow and if the Cards need to make up 2 games the Tigers could win them and finish a game up on KC. 

I am okay.  They showed some fight this year.     The lineup wasn't half-bad.   That starting pitching, oh boy, that was wretched.   Turnbull pitched well.   Fulmer is working it out after TJ........that takes a couple of years, although I don't think he'll ever be as good as his rookie year.  Not worried about the rough numbers for Skubal and Mize, they took their lumps, but they should have been able to pitch at Toledo and they both have confidence and this was better than sitting idle all year.  Nova in Spanish means No Go.  Appropriate name for an inning-eater who starved in 2020.    Zimmermann..........Best of luck - you seem like a good guy.   Matthew Boyd.........wow, that was a brutal season......I think if the ball isn't so juiced, he's pretty decent, but if this is the ball that will used from here on out, he's in trouble.    They will have a starting rotation on Opening Day 2021 of Mize-Skubal-Fulmer-Boyd..    They will need sign a veteran pitcher, and I think they should actually go for a decent one instead of just a place holder.   People are wondering if Rick Anderson will stay, but that will be up to the next manager, but honestly, it just doesn't seem to be clicking. 

The lineup.........I would re-sign Schoop for a couple years.  I don't think he'd cost too much and he really seemed to stabilize the lineup.  They fell off a cliff after his injury.   Love what I saw from Jeimer and WIlli.  I think Isaac and Daz need a full year at Toledo (or at least most of a year). I like how Daz has bounced back after a horrible start at the plate - makes me think he's teachable.  I think Christin Stewart is what he is, not a major leaguer.   Victor Reyes looks like a solid everyday MLB outfielder.  JaCoby Jones is a frustration.  Man he's got talent to burn, but so streaky and so injury prone.  It's so hard to judge his long term place here.   I do think we will see Tork and Riley next year, but not until mid-season.  

The question is - Who will manage this team?    I am betting Lloyd McClendon gets the nod on a 2 year deal.  I think this has to do with young players being familiar with him, and apparently liking him.   But Mike Rabelo is someone to keep an eye on too - he's going to be a MLB manager soon and the Tigers shouldn't miss out.   If Torey Lovullo gets axed in Arizona, he'd be on my short list too.    I wouldn't have anything to do with A.J. Hinch, maybe he's a good manager, but he sold his soul and he'd be a distraction.  

Next season

New manager

The need at least one decent starting pitcher, no scrap heap hurlers please

Keep Schoop 

Starting corner outfielder.   Reyes is good,  Daz needs a year at AAA, Riley won't likely be ready, JaCoby is not reliable health-wise.  I would love to see them go for Michael Brantley or Marwin Gonzalez.   

Big Upgrade at catcher.  While Romine was better at the plate than I thought, I don't think he improved any pitcher.   

And in this offseason somebody please just punch Brett Gardner in the face. 

I'm planning to throw a large carp on Gardner's head, per my usual offseason tomfoolery. Will that suffice?

Victor Reyes is on pace for 12 HR, 42 RBI .713 OPS (.317 OBP).  You really want that production from a corner outfielder?  He’s a 4th OF. We need to get a corner OF from outside of the org.

Schoop’s career OBP is .297.  His previous two seasons were pretty pedestrian.  I like the guy, and he was the perfect stopgap this season, but we should not invest in moving forward.  Maybe a one-year if they don’t think Paredes is ready.  I’d rather sign Cron over Schoop, as he fills a need and wouldn’t be blocking anyone next year.

The starting pitching had terrible results...I expect that will be better in 2021.

Boyd will never match last year again, but he should be capable of pitching 200 average innings.

Skubal and Turnbull have good stuff, and could easily be at or better than average.

Fulmer looked like dead meat with the FB this year, but maybe next year it will bounce back some.

Mize is not ready for prime time...maybe he will be OK at some point in 2021.

I agree that they should acquire a veteran to take some of the pressure off of Mize and Fulmer if they continue to struggle.

Overall, I expect the SP to be bottom third, maybe better with some luck and with Mize figuring it out somewhat, but it could easily stumble again with injuries.

10 hours ago, sabretooth said:

As long as Chris I makes money and Avila keeps his job, I'm happy, and I know so many others here agree.

Indeed.  The most important aspect of MLB is the business side of things.  I eagerly await bbref's addition of financial statements to its website.

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Indeed.  The most important aspect of MLB is the business side of things.  I eagerly await bbref's addition of financial statements to its website.

The only question is what will replace O/E?

8 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

The only question is what will replace O/E?

Some sort of calculation involving TWTW and EBITDA.  I just wonder how box scores will look going forward.

If the Tigers lose today, it'll literally be a repeat of last year.  Through 58 games:

2019: 23-35

2020: 23-34 (1 game remaining)

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I dont think it is official. I think the Tigers could win tomorrow and if the Cards need to make up 2 games the Tigers could win them and finish a game up on KC. 

You're right.  It is possible that the Cardinals could have to play a doubleheader here tomorrow.  So the Tigers still have a chance to end the season with a four-game winning streak.

The chances of that happening may be smaller than the chances of winning a Powerball jackpot, but it is still possible.

at this point in the season, I don't understand the sentiment that it would be nice to end on a winning streak, that will be forgotten by Tuesday, to drop a few slots in the draft?

I will be actively hoping that the Tigers lose today.  Not badly.  Nothing embarrassing.  A 1-run loss would suffice.  But if helps our draft position, I'm all for one more meaningless loss.

If there is a doubleheader tomorrow, though, I will be conflicted--if we could exact a little revenge for the 2006 World Series and help knock the Cardinals out of the postseason, I could get behind that.

If the Tigers play the Cardinals tomorrow, will people be rooting for them to knock them out of the playoffs?

I wonder who the Tigers would send out to pitch if they play tomorrow. Mize probably thinks his season is over, I'd be a bit surprised if he got another start.

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder who the Tigers would send out to pitch if they play tomorrow. Mize probably thinks his season is over, I'd be a bit surprised if he got another start.

I’d think at least one of the two games would be a bullpen one.  I believe they can also add a player for a DH—wonder who the next man up is?

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Schoop’s career OBP is .297.  His previous two seasons were pretty pedestrian.  I like the guy, and he was the perfect stopgap this season, but we should not invest in moving forward.  Maybe a one-year if they don’t think Paredes is ready.  I’d rather sign Cron over Schoop, as he fills a need and wouldn’t be blocking anyone next year.

Not just looking at numbers though.  It just seemed like the lineup was a lot better when he was in it and the drop off after he left was sudden and sharp.    He just seems like one of those guys that can do that without being great themselves. 

Thanks for the clarification.  We’ll probably agree to disagree, cause I put more importance on the numbers.

If we dip into free agency, I’d prioritize SS, LF and a legit SP.  I think we have many options at 2B.

13 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, I like Schoop, but theee is a bit of a logjam at 2b

I wouldn't say log jam, but there are enough younger options.  

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Thanks for the clarification.  We’ll probably agree to disagree, cause I put more importance on the numbers.

If we dip into free agency, I’d prioritize SS, LF and a legit SP.  I think we have many options at 2B.

I think they will give Willi Castro more time to work out his problems at shortstop.  The time to pursue a shortstop is next year when there should be multiple stars available  

41 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they will give Willi Castro more time to work out his problems at shortstop.  The time to pursue a shortstop is next year when there should be multiple stars available  

Yeah. I don’t disagree.  Play Castro there, and if he can’t handle it, you can put Goodrum in.

Willi is way more valuable to us if can handle SS and hit like classic Infante (or better).

Hire Ron Washington to work his magic with Castro like he did Marcus Semien.

I have always been a Didi Gregorius fan and would like the Tigers to at least kick the tires on him.  See what it takes to sign him long term.  But I don't think it is a bad move to ride it out with Castro there either.