Jump to content
Motor City Sonics

Gardy Retires - immediately it's the LLoyd show now

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

Oh, you've been observing them? Well then you're basically upper management! Let us know when you hear who they will hire. 

Sure I've been observing them, same as you. I'm a Tigers fan. I pay attention to what's going on, in the same way you do.

You're setting a pretty high bar, though, that we must be in Tigers' upper management before we can post any opinions about them. I would counter with, this is an opinion board, and mostly what anyone is doing here is giving their opinions. So feel free to disagree. But maybe consider disagreeing with the content of my post, versus questioning my prerogative to post an opinion at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $200 Free Offer - Launching Friday (1/22)

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is launching on Friday, January 22, 2021. Pre-register at BetMGM Sportsbook & Casino and get a free $200 bonus at their online sportsbook & casino with no deposit necessary.

Claim $200 at BetMGM Michigan Now

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Sure I've been observing them, same as you. I'm a Tigers fan. I pay attention to what's going on, in the same way you do.

You're setting a pretty high bar, though, that we must be in Tigers' upper management before we can post any opinions about them. I would counter with, this is an opinion board, and mostly what anyone is doing here is giving their opinions. So feel free to disagree. But maybe consider disagreeing with the content of my post, versus questioning my prerogative to post an opinion at all.

Again, you only have a guess as to their philosophy. It is ever-changing and they are slowly coming around to new ways, from what we as outsiders know. There are plenty of reasons to not hire a guy like Lloyd, who nobody else is hiring either, besides RACISM!! Maybe Lloyd is ultra-progressive and you only assume he's conservative because he's an old, black guy. Maybe you're the racist. Hmmmmm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking that McClendon is conservative because he old would make someone an ageist, not a racist.

I also don't get the impression that the Tigers are an especially analytical organization.  Maybe more than they were, but every team is.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Again, you only have a guess as to their philosophy. It is ever-changing and they are slowly coming around to new ways, from what we as outsiders know. There are plenty of reasons to not hire a guy like Lloyd, who nobody else is hiring either, besides RACISM!! Maybe Lloyd is ultra-progressive and you only assume he's conservative because he's an old, black guy. Maybe you're the racist. Hmmmmm. 

At no point did I say it was all about racism. From the beginning I've been using words like "maybe", "could be", "possible". I've never once said it was definitely about racism. I understand it would be convenient to you if I had, but I didn't, so you need another line of attack here. Which I guess is what the name-calling is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Thinking that McClendon is conservative because he old would make someone an ageist, not a racist.

I also don't get the impression that the Tigers are an especially analytical organization.  Maybe more than they were, but every team is.  

 

Did someone say McClendon is conservative because he is old?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Thinking that McClendon is conservative because he old would make someone an ageist, not a racist.

I also don't get the impression that the Tigers are an especially analytical organization.  Maybe more than they were, but every team is.  

 

Kinda rude to call Chas an ageist but that's your opinion. 

I don't think they're "especially analytical" by any means. But I do think they're further along than a team like the Royals. Gardy seemed much more analytical than I would have expected. Not sure if he did that on his own or the org pushed him, but it was a bit surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

At no point did I say it was all about racism. From the beginning I've been using words like "maybe", "could be", "possible". I've never once said it was definitely about racism. I understand it would be convenient to you if I had, but I didn't, so you need another line of attack here. Which I guess is what the name-calling is about.

Relax man I'm just messing with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

Relax man I'm just messing with you. 

Oh, is that what all this was? OK.

So I should take you seriously but not literally? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 11:06 AM, tiger337 said:

I think they chose Gardenhire, in part, because fans would remember him as a manager that used to win with a successful Twins team that beat the Tigers.  There is nothing about McClendon that impresses fans.  I don't see him as the safe easy Avila/C. Ilitch pick.  

I agree with this.  They wanted someone the fans wouldn't hate after Ausmus.  This is why Avila won't hire Hinch.  I can see them going with another flashy name, like Buck Showalter.  "Let's get the guy that embarrassed us in the 2014 playoffs."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, Tenacious D said:

Bring Smokey out of retirement (again) and let him spin his magic, like 2006.  Offer to let him smoke his Pall Mall's in the dugout, if required.

But he must do so while wearing a mask.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont think teams consider what fans think about the manager.  at least i hope they dont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chasfh said:

So I should take you seriously but not literally? 😁

I would never suggest taking me seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I agree with this.  They wanted someone the fans wouldn't hate after Ausmus.  This is why Avila won't hire Hinch.  I can see them going with another flashy name, like Buck Showalter.  "Let's get the guy that embarrassed us in the 2014 playoffs."  

Yeah, Buckwalter sounds like a Chris Ilitch guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

They're going to keep it in the family.  Tobey.

Tobey Ilitch?  Who is he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Kinda rude to call Chas an ageist but that's your opinion. 

Its OK.  Lee and Chas are both old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 12:27 AM, Charles Liston said:

I agree with that.  Hinch has shown that he's either (a) a cheater, or (b) incredibly weak because he wouldn't shut the cheating down.  (b) is worse than (a).  When he gets off to a bad start, the fans and the press will be ragging him about how he can't win without garbage cans (which is very possibly true), and it taints the entire clubhouse.  I wouldn't touch him if I owned the team, I wouldn't do that to my brand.  It's the Detroit Tigers.  And I wouldn't listen to any horse**** about him being a winner; Altuve and Springer and Verlander and Bregman are winners.

I kind of wonder the leadership ability here.  Did he let things go to the point where he couldn't do anything about it?  Did he allow himself to lose the room?  I guess it happens.  Francona lost the Red Sox clubhouse.

Or does this get back to what some of use say about the effect of a manager on a game?  The players win/lose the game.  Can the players win/lose the clubhouse to the point that (1) the manager doesn't matter or (2) at some point there might come a time where a different voice is needed no matter who the current voice is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

 

Ha ha! Ah, Johnny, I love ya, buddy! Don't ever change!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He knew and he was fine with it.

Did he order the code red?

I want the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I kind of wonder the leadership ability here.  Did he let things go to the point where he couldn't do anything about it?  Did he allow himself to lose the room?  I guess it happens.  Francona lost the Red Sox clubhouse.

Or does this get back to what some of use say about the effect of a manager on a game?  The players win/lose the game.  Can the players win/lose the clubhouse to the point that (1) the manager doesn't matter or (2) at some point there might come a time where a different voice is needed no matter who the current voice is?

I wouldn't doubt if Hinch was an active party to it. He had a rep as a players' manager. I could see him wanting to be cool with the guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont think teams consider what fans think about the manager.  at least i hope they dont.

I think they might for marketing, but I being partially snarky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan is launching online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. These top Michigan sportsbooks have pre-launch bonus offers. No deposit is required. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - If you sign up at BetRivers Michigan now, you will receive $50 in free bets to use one their online sportsbook & casino

Click Here to claim $50 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - If you register now before FanDuel launches in January, you will receive $100 to use at their sportsbook app & online casino.

Click Here to claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan For Registering Now

BetMGM Michigan - If you sign up early at BetMGM Michigan before launch, you will receive $200 in free bets to use at their online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $200 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Early

   


×
×
  • Create New...