Jump to content
Motor City Sonics

Gardy Retires - immediately it's the LLoyd show now

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Sure. But we don't know that. All I'm saying is it would be stupid to go with another warm body because we think we're still 4 years out. We had a ton of issues in 2005 as well. 

I agree. But I still think it will be Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $200 Free Offer - Launching Friday (1/22)

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is launching on Friday, January 22, 2021. Pre-register at BetMGM Sportsbook & Casino and get a free $200 bonus at their online sportsbook & casino with no deposit necessary.

Claim $200 at BetMGM Michigan Now

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

I agree. But I still think it will be Lloyd

If so, Go White Sox!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leflore said:

I agree. But I still think it will be Lloyd

If it was lloyd why didn't they hire him last time, or the time before that, or the time before that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Sure. But we don't know that. All I'm saying is it would be stupid to go with another warm body because we think we're still 4 years out. We had a ton of issues in 2005 as well. 

How about we get a good GM before we burn down a good Manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If it was lloyd why didn't they hire him last time, or the time before that, or the time before that?

I think it’s the safe pick.  Feels very Al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think it’s the safe pick.  Feels very Al.

But again wouldn't he have been the safe pick the last few times as well? Yet he wasn't chosen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't be McClendon for the reason KL mentioned: If they wanted him to be manager, they would have hired in the past.  It won't be Hinch because of the cheating stigma which I don't think Avila will like.  It will be one of the other guys listed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It won't be McClendon for the reason KL mentioned: If they wanted him to be manager, they would have hired in the past.  It won't be Hinch because of the cheating stigma which I don't think Avila will like.  It will be one of the other guys listed.  

I agree with that.  Hinch has shown that he's either (a) a cheater, or (b) incredibly weak because he wouldn't shut the cheating down.  (b) is worse than (a).  When he gets off to a bad start, the fans and the press will be ragging him about how he can't win without garbage cans (which is very possibly true), and it taints the entire clubhouse.  I wouldn't touch him if I owned the team, I wouldn't do that to my brand.  It's the Detroit Tigers.  And I wouldn't listen to any horse**** about him being a winner; Altuve and Springer and Verlander and Bregman are winners.

Earlier, someone said that Avila gave Morosi the list, but I think that it's probably the other way around. 

I wouldn't rule out DFK.  And I was very surprised by what I learned about George Lombard.  But seriously all the manager has to do is not screw up the pitching assignments.  Do we know enough about any of these guys to know if they've ever handled a pitching staff well, or handled it poorly?  If not, we might as well hire Bobby the Brain Heenan, or Colonel Jimmy Hart, the Mouth of the South.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I agree with that.  Hinch has shown that he's either (a) a cheater, or (b) incredibly weak because he wouldn't shut the cheating down.  (b) is worse than (a).  When he gets off to a bad start, the fans and the press will be ragging him about how he can't win without garbage cans (which is very possibly true), and it taints the entire clubhouse.  I wouldn't touch him if I owned the team, I wouldn't do that to my brand.  It's the Detroit Tigers.  And I wouldn't listen to any horse**** about him being a winner; Altuve and Springer and Verlander and Bregman are winners.

Earlier, someone said that Avila gave Morosi the list, but I think that it's probably the other way around. 

I wouldn't rule out DFK.  And I was very surprised by what I learned about George Lombard.  But seriously all the manager has to do is not screw up the pitching assignments.  Do we know enough about any of these guys to know if they've ever handled a pitching staff well, or handled it poorly?  If not, we might as well hire Bobby the Brain Heenan, or Colonel Jimmy Hart, the Mouth of the South.  

If he succeeds here, nobody will care about what happened in Houston. 

Also, I don't think this was just a Houston thing. I think a lot of teams probably have some sort of system in place. He just got caught because a player ratted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

If he succeeds here, nobody will care about what happened in Houston. 

Also, I don't think this was just a Houston thing. I think a lot of teams probably have some sort of system in place. He just got caught because a player ratted. 

If he succeeds here, it's because he brought Altuve and Springer and Verlander and Bregman with him.  He has no magical powers, none.  It cannot be proven that he is better than Bobby the Brain Heenan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I agree with that.  Hinch has shown that he's either (a) a cheater, or (b) incredibly weak because he wouldn't shut the cheating down.  (b) is worse than (a).  When he gets off to a bad start, the fans and the press will be ragging him about how he can't win without garbage cans (which is very possibly true), and it taints the entire clubhouse.  I wouldn't touch him if I owned the team, I wouldn't do that to my brand.  It's the Detroit Tigers.  And I wouldn't listen to any horse**** about him being a winner; Altuve and Springer and Verlander and Bregman are winners.

Earlier, someone said that Avila gave Morosi the list, but I think that it's probably the other way around. 

I wouldn't rule out DFK.  And I was very surprised by what I learned about George Lombard.  But seriously all the manager has to do is not screw up the pitching assignments.  Do we know enough about any of these guys to know if they've ever handled a pitching staff well, or handled it poorly?  If not, we might as well hire Bobby the Brain Heenan, or Colonel Jimmy Hart, the Mouth of the South.  

Is Ralph Malf the Mouth of the South?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason Gardenhire was picked over Lloyd because he was more of a name... it was to try to satisfy the fan base a little bit.

The Ilitch people as a whole are unhip, risk averse, and pedestrian.    They will take the easiest and perhaps cheapest candidate.  that's why I suspect it'll be Lloyd, Kelly, or Santiago.    Nothing about the organization screams sexy or daring.   Make the worst choice and get your lackies in the media and Fox Sports to talk it up to the rubes.  

Just to give an example on how they do things... when LCA opened they had some ground floor restaurants?  Who do they partner with?  Kid Rock.  A decision that would have been cool 15 years ago.  Now he's damaged goods and unpopular with quite a few people around here, right or wrong, that's just the way it is.  Of course they're too behind the times to realize that.   It took them until right before the pandemic to realize that perhaps he's not a good person to market with.   They are not an org with a sense for the future.  Do what others did 7 years ago and pretend it's fresh.  In every aspect of their business, not just baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Can't win without a garbage can

Can't win with a garbage team.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The reason Gardenhire was picked over Lloyd because he was more of a name... it was to try to satisfy the fan base a little bit.

The Ilitch people as a whole are unhip, risk averse, and pedestrian.    They will take the easiest and perhaps cheapest candidate.  that's why I suspect it'll be Lloyd, Kelly, or Santiago.    Nothing about the organization screams sexy or daring.   Make the worst choice and get your lackies in the media and Fox Sports to talk it up to the rubes.  

Just to give an example on how they do things... when LCA opened they had some ground floor restaurants?  Who do they partner with?  Kid Rock.  A decision that would have been cool 15 years ago.  Now he's damaged goods and unpopular with quite a few people around here, right or wrong, that's just the way it is.  Of course they're too behind the times to realize that.   It took them until right before the pandemic to realize that perhaps he's not a good person to market with.   They are not an org with a sense for the future.  Do what others did 7 years ago and pretend it's fresh.  In every aspect of their business, not just baseball. 

Does the Ausmus hiring follow this logic?  He was a familiar name, so yes there.  But he had no managerial or on field coaching experience, which, I'm not sure is a conservative move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tiger337 said:

Can't win with a garbage team.  

What if they use better packaging?  Put the garbage in a better looking can?  It works for Budweiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

If he succeeds here, it's because he brought Altuve and Springer and Verlander and Bregman with him.  He has no magical powers, none.  It cannot be proven that he is better than Bobby the Brain Heenan.

This goes for all managers. More importantly, he has also shown to not be a detriment to his team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players win and lose games.  A manager can help put a team that's already good over the top, but he can't do anything without talent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Players win and lose games.  A manager can help put a team that's already good over the top, but he can't do anything without talent.  

I don't know what this post has to do with anything. You think they should just hire Lloyd then?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Yoda said:

Good ol' loser mentality. 

People thought the 2006 team was still 2 years away as well. 

Hire a guy who can lead them to the WS. That needs to be the goal. Not "eh, this guy is good enough for now". We did that 3 years ago. 

In 2006, the Tigers were still more like five years away.

Two-thousand six was a one-off season during which several guys had career years, hardly anyone got hurt, and everything went right until October 21. They were in last place and under .500 two years later, and right at .500 and 13 games out four years later.

They didn't become a consistent division winner until 2011, and if I'm being honest, the worst division winner in the league each year, except for maybe 2013.

It was all fun while it was happening, no doubt, but 2006 was not exactly a coming out season for the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you don't see that many guys who seem to be such a consensus pick as a future manager as Kelly. The caution comes because they had been saying the same things about Ausmus.  :dead:

It's Donnie Baseball's turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If it was lloyd why didn't they hire him last time, or the time before that, or the time before that?

Racism, maybe?

People are woke in 2020, though, so just on that measure, Lloyd has a decent shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

 

I don't know what this post has to do with anything. You think they should just hire Lloyd then?

There are only two choices?  Hinch and McClendon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan is launching online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. These top Michigan sportsbooks have pre-launch bonus offers. No deposit is required. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - If you sign up at BetRivers Michigan now, you will receive $50 in free bets to use one their online sportsbook & casino

Click Here to claim $50 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - If you register now before FanDuel launches in January, you will receive $100 to use at their sportsbook app & online casino.

Click Here to claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan For Registering Now

BetMGM Michigan - If you sign up early at BetMGM Michigan before launch, you will receive $200 in free bets to use at their online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $200 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Early

   


×
×
  • Create New...