Motor City Sonics

Gardy Retires - immediately it's the LLoyd show now

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

you mispelled Don Kelly

that would be a real fairy tale - becoming manager of a team for which you toiled in the minors for a decade. Can you picture Kelly arguing with an umpire though? It would have to be a side of his personality we haven't seen.

If there is any truth to that list, it looks like Al hasn’t learned a thing.  Only AJ and Lloyd with experience, and Lloyd has not had any success previously.  Really hope it’s Hinch.  That has the potential to be a transformative hire, similar to Sparky.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that would be a real fairy tale - becoming manager of a team for which you toiled in the minors for a decade.

I think you just described Jimmy Leyland.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think you just described Jimmy Leyland.

I guess Leyland was in the minors for 7 yr with Det - I didn't know it was that long. Of course Kelly was 12!

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If there is any truth to that list, it looks like Al hasn’t learned a thing.  Only AJ and Lloyd with experience, and Lloyd has not had any success previously.  Really hope it’s Hinch.  That has the potential to be a transformative hire, similar to Sparky.

What's so bad about the other guys? Inexperience doesn't mean bad. All good managers had to start somewhere. 

And did Hinch only win cause he had a trash can?

4 hours ago, Tigermania said:

Hinch is done in MLB.  No one in their right mind would risk hiring that guy when there are hundreds of other guys you can bring in that are interchangeable.  

Lloyd will get the boys hitting again.  Hopefully, he moves Cabrera out of the #3 hole.  We have the worst #3 hitter in baseball.  I get that they are going to play him, but if he has to play, can he at least be moved down to #6 or 7?

Eight hundred-pound gorillas don’t bat sixth or seventh.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think they'll sign Lloyd to 2 years and bring in DKB to be the Bench Coach.  

Lloyd McClendon would be the Matt Shepard of managerial hires.

My money is on him, with Don Kelly from the Pirates Pipeline as the dark horse.

That tweet says it's an "expected" list of candidates. With so much unknown about next year yet I'd be surprised if Al already gave out his list. Or that he's even compiled a list yet.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:
#Tigers expected to consider A.J. Hinch, Will Venable, George Lombard, Vance Wilson, Don Kelly, Pedro Grifol, and Mike Redmond for managerial vacancy, among others, in addition to internal candidate Lloyd McClendon. Strong

added Thames in another tweet and said no expected to move fast filling the job

Marcus Thames baby

49 minutes ago, leflore said:

That tweet says it's an "expected" list of candidates. With so much unknown about next year yet I'd be surprised if Al already gave out his list. Or that he's even compiled a list yet.

Yeah, probably speculation at this point.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Lloyd McClendon would be the Matt Shepard of managerial hires.

My money is on him, with Don Kelly from the Pirates Pipeline as the dark horse.

IDK, Lloyd is kind of like Tommy Brookens was at the end of his line, it's gets to where the number of times you didn't get the offer becomes disqualifying all by itself. 

I had completely lost track of George Lombard.  As a player he was one of those stunningly brilliant athletes who just couldn't translate it into baseball success.  A quick bit of research reveals that he is from an intellectually accomplished family and has spent the last 10 years in coaching, scouting, and managing.  He'll get a managing gig sooner or later.

Is Brandon Inge working in college or professional baseball? I’m wondering if our cult hero would like to be the next manager of the Detroit Tigers?

If they can get him, I think my 1st choice would be Alomar Jr. With Francona's health issue he may he poised to get the Indians job soon

3 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Is Brandon Inge working in college or professional baseball? I’m wondering if our cult hero would like to be the next manager of the Detroit Tigers?

Are we just naming any past players? Nothing about Brandon strikes me as a having a brilliant baseball mind. 

"They're pitching to me like I'm Ted Williams". 

3 hours ago, leflore said:

If they can get him, I think my 1st choice would be Alomar Jr. With Francona's health issue he may he poised to get the Indians job soon

Alomar Jr is an interesting option. 

In addition to Francona's health, I wonder how much Alomar's ties to the organization would prevent him from leaving this offseason?  About half of his playing career was spent with Cleveland, the rest was more or less as a journeyman 8 other organizations.  He was a coach in the Mets' system in 2008-9, but has been with Cleveland ever since.  So, it seems as though he may be rooted down with Cleveland to some extent.

Francona is 61 years old now, and he's been coaching/managing for over 20 years now.  Alomar is 54, and that's a bit long in the tooth for a manager with how that position has been trending in recent seasons.  So, while he may feel some affiliation to Cleveland (and maybe he doesn't, maybe his coaching career has just worked out this way), he may be looking around and thinking that he'd be a fool to not take a manager spot while he can rather than potentially miss an opportunity.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:08 PM, leflore said:

Well I'll go to bed a tad sad. And questioning why I ate white castle

7 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

He’s managing a travel youth baseball program locally.  So, technically, he has experience.

The Rabelo thing interests me....

This org is so conservative though.... they'll pick the safest option.  I don't see anyone with present status or with a past whiff of controversy.  It'll be Lloyd or someone like Don Kelly or Santiago.

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

Are we just naming any past players? Nothing about Brandon strikes me as a having a brilliant baseball mind. 

"They're pitching to me like I'm Ted Williams". 

He definitely does not look like a manager

20 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Yeah, probably speculation at this point.

It's JPM, I'd say its more than speculation. **** Avila probably texted him the list.