Keepleyland2

9/17 @7:10 Cleveland Indians vs Detroit Tigers

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Gardenhire was a good manager 10 years ago.  

I know I'm the only one here who appreciates gardy, but what has he done so poorly? He's been handed garbage rosters. The players seem to have camaraderie and play hard. They just suck.

Ah, yes. The ol' "he was handed garbage" routine. 

Gardenhire ranks low in game thread "why the 'ef did he do THAT" quotient. He is either a good manager,  or alternatively, no-one is watching the games anymore.....

19 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Gardenhire ranks low in game thread "why the 'ef did he do THAT" quotient. He is either a good manager,  or alternatively, no-one is watching the games anymore.....

Yep, I don't find myself noticing anything he does that completely defies logic like you would get with Ausmus and Leyland time to time but of course I think we were all following the games and decisions more closely then so that's probably why.  

Gardenhire is an adequate manager.  A bit old school, but not horrible.  Never any drama on the team, so seems like he manages the clubhouse well. I just don’t see where he deserves any credit, either.  We’re in the midst of another lousy season, which has been tempered by a 60-game season and expanded playoffs, which allowed most teams in baseball to believe they were in playoff contention, even in September.  I just hope the next manager we hire is a bit more progressive, though I suspect that is not a characteristic that Avila is looking for when he posts the job description on LinkedIn.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, leflore said:

I know I'm the only one here who appreciates gardy, but what has he done so poorly? He's been handed garbage rosters. The players seem to have camaraderie and play hard. They just suck.

I just felt like saying it.  I really don't care that much about managers.  I think they get too much credit and too much blame.