Motor City Sonics

16 Team playoffs are here to stay.........

8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

NHL fans of a certain age will remember a 6 team league in which 4 made the playoffs (translation:  Boston and New York didn't make the playoffs).  The regular season was still interesting and exciting, but for different reasons.  In a league that small with about 108 players in total, you knew every player, his home town, and you recognized him facially because they played without helmets.  The 4 teams that were good every year all had rivalries with all the other good teams.  Every team had good players (even the Bruins and the Rangers had a couple) and every game was meaningful.

That is hard to duplicate with 32 teams, but I don't think that adding more play-off teams will make the regular season less interesting.  To me, it is not that interesting even now, because there are so many teams.  There aren't enough good players.  I can name every player on the team that I follow, but not too many others.  I'm happier if it is a good team, but I won't stop following if it is a bad team.  If a couple of additional teams make the playoffs, I guess that will increase fan interest in the marginal teams that get in under the new format.  It won't do anything to diminish my interest, but my interest has already been diminished by other factors - the number of teams, and the juiced ball.

I agree that too many teams make it less entertaining.  Before interleague play, I would mostly just follow the 12 American League teams and I knew most of the line-ups of all the teams.  It made the games more interesting.  It also made the all-star game and World Series more interesting.  I know the names of all the players now, but it's mostly for statistical analysis and fantasy baseball purposes.   I know who is good but I can't tell you the line-ups or anything much beyond the stats.   That's one reason why the idea of 4 divisions of 8 teams and no inter-divisional play is appealing to me.  

I remember when the NHL had 12 teams and 8 teams made the playoffs.  I was too young to care at the time.  I would watch the regular season, but the playoffs were during baseball season, so I didn't watch them.  It was just annoying because the Bruins were really good then and all I heard about was the Bruins and Bobby Orr and I was only interested in baseball.  I guess I haven't changed much.  

9 hours ago, Casimir said:

So I should have no opinion about it?

Tell a business how it should operate and at the same time tell them you don't care about their financials?  Sure, knock yourself out.  

6 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Tell a business how it should operate and at the same time tell them you don't care about their financials?  Sure, knock yourself out.  

Here, I'll type this slower for you this time since you must have missed it the first time:

Call me crazy, but I follow sports for the sports, not the financial statements.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Here, I'll type this slower for you this time since you must have missed it the first time:

Call me crazy, but I follow sports for the sports, not the financial statements.

You also said you had an opinion, but I don't see one there.  

I don't care if the Tigers ever win again.  As long as Ilitch makes money, I am happy.  

53 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't care if the Tigers ever win again.  As long as Ilitch makes money, I am happy.  

and he can continue his revitalization of downtown and making great pizza at an affordable price.  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

You also said you had an opinion, but I don't see one there.  

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Let's go balance sheets!

Clap!  Clap!  Clap clap clap!

Let's go income statements!

Clap!  Clap!  Clap clap clap!

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Too bad this is sarcastic....otherwise I would expect a fair amount of positive reaction to this statement.

9 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Too bad this is sarcastic....otherwise I would expect a fair amount of positive reaction to this statement.

I mean what's good for super rich people is good for all of us....

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I mean what's good for super rich people is good for all of us....

Trickle-down baseball, baby