Motor City Sonics

16 Team playoffs are here to stay.........

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Come on.  I played everyday for the Yankees, had to fight off some 23 year old hot shot who they want to promote, and I lose my playing time to some guy from the Royals who gets added to the play-off roster and won't be here after?

**** him.  Who is he? He wants to be in the play-offs so damned bad, he can lead his team there.

the fans will love it and the ratings will go sky high. What else matters?

35 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and how about - just to keep it interesting for good players on bad teams - that the playoff teams each get to draft two or three players from the non-playoff teams for the playoff run. Ups the quality of play-off play and keeps the best players in front of the public.

Sounds good to me.  Imagine the television ratings for the draft!

I was once in a Fantasy Baseball league that did that.  

26 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Come on.  I played everyday for the Yankees, had to fight off some 23 year old hot shot who they want to promote, only to lose my playing time to some guy from the Royals who gets added to the play-off roster and won't be here after?

**** him.  Who is he to us? He wants to be in the play-offs so damned bad, he can lead his team there.

Give him a playoff share.  He'll be fine.  

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Neither mad nor smart.

Next we're going to discover that Al Hrabovsky was neither mad nor Hungarian.

I don't like it but i'm not mad about it.... it's probably inevitable.    Baseball is a business and the goal is to increase revenue and this is an easy way to do it.  Tradition doesn't make money.   I don't see any improvement for fans out of this.  The excitement is just transferred from the top teams fighting for a top spot to .500 teams fighting for the last spots.  The benefits are lost on me.   It's not fixing anything.   It benefits rich people by making them a lot more richer.  

It is what it is.  

• Like 1

It was inevitable.  I knew it was coming, but I didn't know it would come so fast.  I thought they would bump up to 12 before going to 16.  Just a few years ago, it was 8.    

42 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It was inevitable.  I knew it was coming, but I didn't know it would come so fast.  I thought they would bump up to 12 before going to 16.  Just a few years ago, it was 8.    

The last time it was 8, the tigers were beginning their run of four straight division championships. 

I don't hate it but with baseball being so much more random than other sports you are much more likely that one of those bottom playoff teams will actually make some noise in the playoffs so you run the risk of a .500 level team winning it all or atleast making a deep run.   

I mean in baseball a last place team can sweep a first place team at any point in the season and nobody bats an eye but if that were to happen in other sports it would be a big deal.  

Here is another idea. 

154 game season ends around September 24
Top 8 teams make playoffs in each league; no divisions

21-day playoff round robin  mini-season from Sept 28-October 19
Play 7 other teams in your league 3x each, so a series vs each, just 2 off days
Work it out so that higher ranked regular season teams get more home games in the round robin (e.g., #1 plays 15 of 21 at home, #2-4 play 12 of 21 at home, #5-7 plays 9 of 21 at home, #8 plays 6 of 21 at home)

Roundrobin winner from each league competes in World Series last week of October 

So, many teams make the playoffs but the roundrobin more closely simulates the regular season.  Values full pitching rotation, bench strength, and travel over luck and a hot streak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

The last time it was 8, the tigers were beginning their run of four straight division championships. 

That was pretty recent by baseball standards.  They don't usually make dramatic changes so quickly.  Going from 8 to 16 is huge. 

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That was pretty recent by baseball standards.  They don't usually make dramatic changes so quickly.  Going from 8 to 16 is huge. 

I don’t know, man, feels like a ******* eternity to me. 

Have they said whether they are going to keep the same format as this year where the top 2 teams in the division automatically make it?

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Here is another idea. 

154 game season ends around September 24
Top 8 teams make playoffs in each league; no divisions

21-day playoff round robin  mini-season from Sept 28-October 19
Play 7 other teams in your league 3x each, so a series vs each, just 2 off days
Work it out so that higher ranked regular season teams get more home games in the round robin (e.g., #1 plays 15 of 21 at home, #2-4 play 12 of 21 at home, #5-7 plays 9 of 21 at home, #8 plays 6 of 21 at home)

Roundrobin winner from each league competes in World Series last week of October 

So, many teams make the playoffs but the roundrobin more closely simulates the regular season.  Values full pitching rotation, bench strength, and travel over luck and a hot streak.

My head hurts just trying to follow that. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t know, man, feels like a ******* eternity to me. 

They had 2 teams for 68 years

4 team for 25 years

8 teams for 19 years

10 teams for 9 years

The first two changes happened after league expansion.  

and 8 is not really a lot different from 10 since the last two teams were like a play-in game.  Play-in games are too gimmicky for me, but they didn't really change the season much. 

Jumping up to 16 is a really big deal.  

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I liked it.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

4 team for 25 years

8 teams for 19 years

10 teams for 9 years

and 8 is not really a lot different from 10 since the last two teams were like a play-in game.  Play-in games are too gimmicky for me, but they didn't really change the season much. 

Going ti 16 now seems like it fits the demonstrated pattern of accelerating expansion

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Going ti 16 now seems like it fits the demonstrated pattern of accelerating expansion

So, we got to 32 the next time?

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

4 team for 25 years

8 teams for 19 years

10 teams for 9 years

I was just saying it felt like forever since the tigers were good. 

But I don’t agree that 8 and 10 are not that different. That completely changed the outlook for the #4 seed.

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I was just saying it felt like forever since the tigers were good. 

But I don’t agree that 8 and 10 are not that different. That completely changed the outlook for the #4 seed.

It changes the playoffs, but I don't think going from 8 to 10 teams changes the season that much.  You still have basically the same types of teams batting for playoff spots.  With 16 teams you are going from mostly good teams battling for spots to mediocre teams battling for spots.  

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

tl;dr  to choose a league’s representative for the World Series, switch the post-season to a round robin instead of multiple rounds of head to head series.

Since we're moving the regular season towards being a very long exhibition season with reduced significance for the post-season, how about we shorten the regular season to like 20-30 games, hold it in the spring, call it a pre-season or Spring Training or something like that, and then have an expanded season of say, 150-160 games (maybe 162?  Just a thought) where the last few teams (maybe 4 or 6 at most in each league) with the best record play each other in an elimination tournament to determine the championship.

Complicated, but I think it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

Poor Shelton, with the Tigers being blown out tonight, his dream of the 8th seed may finally be over.

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Poor Shelton, with the Tigers being blown out tonight, his dream of the 8th seed may finally be over.

Not so fast. The blue jays have 8 games in 7 days against the Phillies and yanks. We are only five games back. After the tigers take the next three and the jays suffer a four game sweep at the hands of the Phillies, we will only be 1.5 games back. Then after the jays lose to the yanks on Monday we will only be 1 game back after our off day.