Motor City Sonics

16 Team playoffs are here to stay.........

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

play a 140 game regular season and award money and trophies to all the division winners. Then have a postseason tournament with all the teams - maybe make the first two rounds best of 5 and the last 3 best of 7. Everyone is in the playoffs. They have nothing to do with the regular season. Case closed.

I could live with that.  

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I could live with that.  

Oops, looks like we disagree again.    I don't think any 47-114 team should be allowed anywhere but a golf course at the end of a season like that. 

Maybe if a team like that won the tournament, more people would be likely to buy into the premise that regular season success and tournament success are not necessarily the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maybe if a team like that won the tournament, more people would be likely to buy into the premise that regular season success and tournament success are not necessarily the same thing.

Making to the playoffs in a 162 game marathon is a great accomplishment, let's not lessen it too much.   

Remember how good the 1983 Tigers were?   92-70...............what a great record..............but not good enough.

2 minutes ago, leflore said:

During March madness I love it when a sub .500 team knocks out a premiere team.

but this is a whole different mentality and approach than a one-game in or out deal.   

and I hate when a 26-12 team has one bad night in a tournament to a 13-15 team and they lose their bid to get in the dance,  unless it's Duke - then it's awesome.  

It isn't different.  They could just as easily have a 4 team or 16 team basketball tournament.

The current play-offs is a tournament, just as it was in 1972 and would be in an expanded format.

A tournament is a tournament, independent of how many teams are involved.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Wow, I am totally agreeing with MCS.  

And he used an existing thread to announce his opinion of something! 2020 aint all bad. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

More doubleheaders!

So the theory is that the game takes too long for the average fan. So we want to double their time at the ballpark?

51 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

play a 140 game regular season and award money and trophies to all the division winners. Then have a postseason tournament with all the teams - maybe make the first two rounds best of 5 and the last 3 best of 7. Everyone is in the playoffs. They have nothing to do with the regular season. Case closed.

I'm actually not opposed to any of this. But it'll never happen. It will still be half the teams in the playoffs because fans need to think that it's the best teams. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

So the theory is that the game takes too long for the average fan. So we want to double their time at the ballpark?

No, they'd be day/night splits...............no way they are going to eschew that money at the gate.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, they'd be day/night splits...............no way they are going to eschew that money at the gate.

Then I'm not sure what the point is in needing more DH's. 

On that subject, how do we feel about the 7-inning DH's? I actually like it. I feel like it makes the game more exciting and if it's a blowout, it doesn't drag on. 

16 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Then I'm not sure what the point is in needing more DH's. 

On that subject, how do we feel about the 7-inning DH's? I actually like it. I feel like it makes the game more exciting and if it's a blowout, it doesn't drag on. 

To squeeze the schedule into a smaller window and be able to keep 162 while starting the playoffs a little earlier. 

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The owners want to keep it.

Sorry, I don't like it.   Not at all.    Even though it might favor the Tigers sooner than later,  I don't want more teams making the playoffs than not making it.      You know were going to get some team with a losing record make it in - not a fan of that.     

Eventually when 2 more teams are added (Nashville and Montreal?)  I would rather see a 4 8 team division setup where the 2nd and 3rd place teams play a 3 game series to see who gets to play the division winner.   But I doubt expansion is happening within the next 10 years........its more likely that a team (The Rays?) moves to Nashville first.  

I don't like it even for this season.

The long 16-team hockey and basketball playoffs make some sense.  (Well, at least the hockey playoffs do.  I have no interest in or use for NBA basketball, so the sports-talk-station babbling about it being extended for the endless playoff season annoys me big-time.)

But baseball is mostly played outdoors, and cold weather baseball sucks, both to play and to watch.  (I've done a lot of both.)  So letting in more than half the teams after a 162-game season, and extending the postseason into what is often godawful weather in northern cities, is not a good thing for the game.

Idiots.

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I don't like it even for this season.

The long 16-team hockey and basketball playoffs make some sense.  (Well, at least the hockey playoffs do.  I have no interest in or use for NBA basketball, so the sports-talk-station babbling about it being extended for the endless playoff season annoys me big-time.)

But baseball is mostly played outdoors, and cold weather baseball sucks, both to play and to watch.  (I've done a lot of both.)  So letting in more than half the teams after a 162-game season, and extending the postseason into what is often godawful weather in northern cities, is not a good thing for the game.

Idiots.

They aren't idiots.  They are  greedy.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The 7 inning game is the tool of the devil

I will only accept them if they go to 7 innings 7 batters.  

33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They aren't idiots.  They are  greedy.  

Yes, I know they're doing it for the money.  But screwing with the game in a way that dilutes the regular season and p***** off the most dedicated fans as much as I think this will seems  pretty stupid and shortsighted.

Still, I'll watch, anyway, because I love baseball.  Enough to have played it, coached it, umpired it, studied it, and watched it for . . . well, several decades.  But 16 teams making the postseason is just too danm many

31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Asinine

Why? Games will be shorter, the best hitters will be up more frequently and starting pitchers will become more important again.  Wouldn't that be appealing to fans?  

1 minute ago, six-hopper said:

Yes, I know they're doing it for the money.  But screwing with the game in a way that dilutes the regular season and p***** off the most dedicated fans as much as I think this will seems  pretty stupid and shortsighted.

Still, I'll watch, anyway, because I love baseball.  Enough to have played it, coached it, umpired it, studied it, and watched it for . . . well, several decades.  But 16 teams making the postseason is just too danm many

That's what they are counting on.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Why? Games will be shorter, the best hitters will be up more frequently and starting pitchers will become more important again.  Wouldn't that be appealing to fans?  

and with only seven batters, instead of an old fat slow designated hitter, you would have to have a young fast defensive whiz "designated fielder" at SS  or CF to fill the eighth  position defensively.  If no one wants to see a pitcher hit, why should they want to see a 550 OPS shortstop hit?

Sounds good to me.

"DF" would have gotten Vizquel to the HOF on the first ballot!