Motor City Sonics

16 Team playoffs are here to stay.........

I don’t agree with this guy’s speculation. I also don’t agree that the second wild card created a “good” thing with regard to the division. 

can anyone point to decreased attendance or tv ratings for teams that have run away with their division?

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You said infers later on. 

Oh I thought you were making a more substantial critique than simply comparing infers and implies. My mistake.

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Oh I thought you were making a more substantial critique than simply comparing infers and implies. My mistake.

I don’t make substantially substantial critiques anymore. I try to only make mildly substantial critiques. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I don’t make substantially substantial critiques anymore. I try to only make mildly substantial critiques. 

Which kind of like what happens when you have expanded playoffs.  

52 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Falling asleep during a game and waking up to a rally is one of the best things.  

I seem to do the opposite these days.  I turned the game on last night when we were up 5-0, I saw Miggy on 1st, Candy get a single, the other dude walk with bases loaded and nobody out....then I see 3 consecutive K's.  I laughed and turned it off...we were up I was content assuming we would win the game.

39 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think they have done much to address the things which I think need to be fixed.  

Again, working on it. The electronic strike zone is coming. I like the new 3 batter minimum rule. The extra inning thing is trash.

The pitchers really need to speed up. I think that's something that has to be encourage in high school/college. 

33 minutes ago, leflore said:

A change like this is made because the thinking is it will generate more money. Money. Moolah. Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.

I do think baseball needs to adapt to the times or eventually it might die when we all die. Or be tortured. Maybe both. Like the Wicker Man.

That's kind of their job. 

I just don't like more than 50% of the teams making the playoffs - in any sport  - even though in Detroit it would be a benefit with all the bad teams we have now.    12 is about as far as I would want to go here.   

Based on last year's standings the Texas Rangers make the playoffs at 78-84...........that's not acceptable to me.  

Yes, baseball ratings are down............so are all the sports and so is network TV..................there is just so much more to chose from right now that everything's ratings are going down.   Plus, I don't even know how they are counting those ratings.........are they including streaming?   

The biggest problem baseball has is the cost of an average family to go to a game...............When I was a kind in the 70s and 80s, my dad (about as middle working class as you could be) could take me to 6 or 7 games a year.........now it's 1 or 2 at a stadium with a ton of distractions...............hard to love something you rarely get to take part in.          The pace of game issues are a problem, but it's that inability to cultivate young people into lifelong fandom that is the failure.  

15 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Again, working on it. The electronic strike zone is coming. I like the new 3 batter minimum rule. The extra inning thing is trash.

The pitchers really need to speed up. I think that's something that has to be encourage in high school/college. 

I like the electronic strike zone.  That would be an example of positive change. 

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I like the electronic strike zone.  That would be an example of positive change. 

I also like a pitch clock / once you're in the batter's box, you're in the batter's box (per pitch).........none of this stepping out and adjusting things...........which probably wouldn't be an issue if the pitcher had a pitch clock.    Get the ball........get the sign.......throw the ball..........enough of the delay tactics

And for the love of sanity, can get get a normal ball back again.  Home run derby is boring. 

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The complaint will be.............if players are different sizes...won't they have different zones?.....................well, get measured and if your stance is like Rickey  Henderson where you are crouched so low you have no strike zone.................tough crap.       

Tired of umpires judging balls and strikes.     Tired of Center Field camera watchers doing it too.    

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Falling asleep during a game and waking up to a rally is one of the best things.  

The only way to enjoy a game on TV.

Back in the days where the only game in town was the Saturday game of the week. I was working 5:30 AM to noon, then did a hospital/funeral home run for my dad’s florist shop. Get home settle on the couch. Watch the first two innings, snooze until inning 7 then watch the rest.

• Like 1

And umpires should be subject to more strict standards to remain in the game.    Angel Hernandez, the reason you aren't calling playoff games ain't got nothing to do with you being Cuban, and you know it.  

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yet attendance at games is far greater than it was in the 70s and 80s.

i bet they sellout almost every playoff game...which is kind of the point of adding more playoff games.

the only surprise about this is that it took so long.  i do have some questions about scheduling.  are they going to be playing games in december?

play a 140 game regular season and award money and trophies to all the division winners. Then have a postseason tournament with all the teams - maybe make the first two rounds best of 5 and the last 3 best of 7. Everyone is in the playoffs. They have nothing to do with the regular season. Case closed.

There will likely be changes put forward, but the CBA ends at the end of next season and I am convinced that the 2022 season will begin with a player's strike.   That won't help the game.