Jump to content
Motor City Sonics

16 Team playoffs are here to stay.........

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Baseball is boring.  That's why we spend so much time discussing it.  OK.  

Nobody is saying baseball is boring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

Just now, tiger337 said:

Money is way more powerful than nostalgia. 

The present generally is better than the past, but there are exceptions.  

Nostalgia is the creator of money.  The present is better for a person that is 15 with his life ahead of him as it was better for you when you were 15 with your life ahead of you.  Generally speaking, but this is just my opinion, is that the past was better for the majority of people than their present.  The less time there has been for tragedy & responsibility to grow the "simpler" the time.  The further away from your mortality you were.  etc

Sorry, I am not even really talking about baseball here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baseball is not just fine.  It is has become too slow and there is less action on the field than there used to be.  Those are things the should be trying to fix.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just play 162 games and then let a computer algorithm determine the best team through a complex mathematical formula.

its really the only fair way to determine which was the "best" team.  other than that there may be luck involved, and that's just no fun and unfair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He's right. The MLB season was your favorite independent neighborhood restaurant.   It wasn't fancy, but you felt comfortable there and the food was great.  Then they became a chain and they made more money but quality suffered.  finally, they decided to turn it into McDonalds.  

For local peeps.... it's was Garden Fresh Salsa.  Made in Ferndale.  Every batch was a little different, like you bought it from a roadside stand.  Then they got bought by Campbell's or whatever and now it sucks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Just let me know how I should think and it will save us all some time Lee.

You'll have to figure things out for yourself.  I can't help you there.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

You'll have to figure things out for yourself.  I can't help you there.  

BS.  Your opinion is fundamentally superior to anyone else's opinion.

Personally I'd respect it more if you would own it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

just play 162 games and then let a computer algorithm determine the best team through a complex mathematical formula.

its really the only fair way to determine which was the "best" team.  other than that there may be luck involved, and that's just no fun and unfair.

I am fine with no playoffs.  A computer algorithm is not needed though.  If people think their second place team was really better than the first place team, they can just argue about it with fans of the first place team. That's what they do after the playoffs are over anyway.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anything manfred does that makes joe sheehan, christina kahrl, and jay jaffe mad must be a good thing.

if dave cameron is pissed about this too it means its manfred's best idea yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the American psyche baseball has long stood for something noble, sometimes something even holy, attaining a certain pride of place in the iconography of how we make sense of ourselves and grasp for something beyond the mundane even though it’s always been — for the most part — a mere commercial enterprise.

A change such as this is an even greater intrusion of the mundane into baseball’s trans-mundane space and it reduces baseball to something still more common. I enjoy the thrills and all the other stuff that goes with this game as much as anyone but I like the scent of frankincense that inheres in the game and which infers that it’s something greater than it appears to be more than I like a spectacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was nice a couple weeks ago when the tigers were in a playoff race and there was reason for casual fans to tune in. 
 

I am glad this will be the case for more teams and fanbases going forward (assuming this report is actually true).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

BS.  Your opinion is fundamentally superior to anyone else's opinion.

Personally I'd respect it more if you would own it.

Is that really how you think of me? That is laughable.  If anything I am too indecisive on most topics trying to see both sides of issues and not taking strong stands because there is so much grey.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all kidding aside - because this is a very serious issue - i dont really like it because i think it does cheapen the regular season.  and i dont like change because i am old and conservative by nature.

that said, let's give it a try and see how it works.  baseball is a business and they make more money from the playoffs, it seems natural they would want to expand it.  i dont think most casual fans care about things like "the sanctity of the regular season" or other stuff only baseball nerds worry about.  people want to see games that they perceive as having consequences and to us americans that means playoff games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

In the American psyche baseball has long stood for something noble, sometimes something even holy, attaining a certain pride of place in the iconography of how we make sense of ourselves and grasp for something beyond the mundane even though it’s always been — for the most part — a mere commercial enterprise.

A change such as this is an even greater intrusion of the mundane into baseball’s trans-mundane space and it reduces baseball to something still more common. I enjoy the thrills and all the other stuff that goes with this game as much as anyone but I like the scent of frankincense that inheres in the game and which infers that it’s something greater than it appears to be more than I like a spectacle. 

I think you meant to say “implies.” Not sure because I fell asleep before finishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelton said:

I think you meant to say “implies.” Not sure because I fell asleep before finishing. 

Falling asleep during a game and waking up to a rally is one of the best things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think you meant to say “implies.” Not sure because I fell asleep before finishing. 

When something “inheres“ it is a substantial or permanent feature of something asserting objective being as opposed to “implying” which is subjective and refers to something which may or may not be the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I thought it was nice a couple weeks ago when the tigers were in a playoff race and there was reason for casual fans to tune in. 
 

I am glad this will be the case for more teams and fanbases going forward (assuming this report is actually true).

This. Small market teams need this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Baseball is not just fine.  It is has become too slow and there is less action on the field than there used to be.  Those are things the should be trying to fix.  

I do agree other things should have been fixed first. They're working on it at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Is that really how you think of me? That is laughable.  If anything I am too indecisive on most topics trying to see both sides of issues and not taking strong stands because there is so much grey.  

Yeah, I don't think of you that way at all. I think he just means you come across that way in this thread, not overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yoda said:

I do agree other things should have been fixed first. They're working on it at least. 

I don't think they have done much to address the things which I think need to be fixed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

On this topic, absolutely.

OK, That is fair.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

When something “inheres“ it is a substantial or permanent feature of something asserting objective being as opposed to “implying” which is subjective and refers to something which may or may not be the case. 

You said infers later on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A change like this is made because the thinking is it will generate more money. Money. Moolah. Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.

I do think baseball needs to adapt to the times or eventually it might die when we all die. Or be tortured. Maybe both. Like the Wicker Man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...