Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

16 Team playoffs are here to stay.........

Recommended Posts

The owners want to keep it.

Sorry, I don't like it.   Not at all.    Even though it might favor the Tigers sooner than later,  I don't want more teams making the playoffs than not making it.      You know were going to get some team with a losing record make it in - not a fan of that.     

Eventually when 2 more teams are added (Nashville and Montreal?)  I would rather see a 4 8 team division setup where the 2nd and 3rd place teams play a 3 game series to see who gets to play the division winner.   But I doubt expansion is happening within the next 10 years........its more likely that a team (The Rays?) moves to Nashville first.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the impact on the trade deadline is interesting--you could make the argument that in a 16 team playoff format, close to 20+ teams would be in the postseason hunt, which would limit the number of teams who would be "sellers," potentially restricting the number of players available in trade.  If you were a seller, though, you'd have more leverage with more teams interested in improving their teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And everybody gets cupcakes for breakfast every morning, they all get participation ribbons, and Oprah gives all of them a new car.

You would think that a grueling 162- game schedule could be enough to separate the wheat from the chaff. But instead teams that score a 50% all semester are just as worthy as teams that get 90% because you can make it all up on the final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a slackers wet dream. It deflates the sense of accomplishment achieved when you overcome great odds to gain the highest prize. There will be little warrant in feeling this great when you get to the top of this hill that used to be a mountain. 
4744C794-EAB1-439F-A4D2-BF0926901655.thumb.jpeg.e4ae01b1050abf70cfc21d7fd81ed5cf.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.“ — JFK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a weird feeling to be in the middle on so many things.  I can see both sides and can see it from so many angles that it almost always makes sense to be in the middle.

I tend to side with the faction that hates this, but not by much...and I do not hate it really.  I think it boils down to change.  Some people do not like it, they fear it, they appreciate tradition.  Others find the ways of the past completely out of date or antiquated and want to move forward either to make the sport better or to make it more to what they personally like.

The logical side of my brain says you have 162 games to play before a tournament starts...those in the tournament are only the best...or are they?  The line that was created is arbitrary.  Should a team that lost more than 50% of their regular season games be "allowed" in the tournament?  Probably not, but where is the line?  Is one game over .500 sufficient?  Is there some win % that should be applied?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Too bad he's wrong. 

He's right. The MLB season was your favorite independent neighborhood restaurant.   It wasn't fancy, but you felt comfortable there and the food was great.  Then they became a chain and they made more money but quality suffered.  finally, they decided to turn it into McDonalds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nostalgia is such a damn powerful thing.  It is probably the single most under rated thing in human history.  The amount of decisions made and based on feelings from the past when "life was simpler"....I do not think can ever be quantified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

It is a weird feeling to be in the middle on so many things.  I can see both sides and can see it from so many angles that it almost always makes sense to be in the middle.

I tend to side with the faction that hates this, but not by much...and I do not hate it really.  I think it boils down to change.  Some people do not like it, they fear it, they appreciate tradition.  Others find the ways of the past completely out of date or antiquated and want to move forward either to make the sport better or to make it more to what they personally like.

The logical side of my brain says you have 162 games to play before a tournament starts...those in the tournament are only the best...or are they?  The line that was created is arbitrary.  Should a team that lost more than 50% of their regular season games be "allowed" in the tournament?  Probably not, but where is the line?  Is one game over .500 sufficient?  Is there some win % that should be applied?

 

Some change is good.  Some change sucks.  Change is good when something is broken.  When something works, you leave it alone.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He's right. The MLB season was your favorite independent neighborhood restaurant.   It wasn't fancy, but you felt comfortable there and the food was great.  Then they became a chain and they made more money but quality suffered.  finally, they decided to turn it into McDonalds.  

It just went from a boring diner that nobody came to to a hopping cafe with delicious food. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

Nostalgia is such a damn powerful thing.  It is probably the single most under rated thing in human history.  The amount of decisions made and based on feelings from the past when "life was simpler"....I do not think can ever be quantified.

Money is way more powerful than nostalgia. 

The present generally is better than the past, but there are exceptions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Some change is good.  Some change sucks.  Change is good when something is broken.  When something works, you leave it alone.   

Totally wasn't broken. 

ratings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Totally wasn't broken. 

ratings.png

The World Series is getting less popular, so lets have more World Series!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now to be fair, viewership is down with other sports too. But to claim that mlb was doing just fine is just plain false. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...