Keepleyland2

9/15 @7:10 p.m. Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

In the last 35 years the Royals have won two World Series championships and the Tigers zero. This is something non-comforting to contemplate. 

27 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

In the last 35 years the Royals have won two World Series championships and the Tigers zero. This is something non-comforting to contemplate. 

Cleveland has also won 0, so that's kind of ok.

• Thanks 1

Regardless of Casmir’s astute observation, as pleasing as it is, neither the Tigers nor the Indians have won a World Series in the last 35 full seasons but for the Indians their drought is 72 years long. Ha!

But, getting back to feeling sorry for ourselves, in the last 35 seasons, not counting this one because of the Royals and the Tigers have an identical 20 wins so far, the Royals have averaged 72.46 wins per season while the Tigers have averaged 75.6. 

I have long have this idea that the Royals were really the chumps of the division and the Tigers were easily the better team, but if you look at the last 35 seasons, some strike-shortened of course, the Tigers are only 3 games a year better and have won the big enchilada not once while the Royals however have won twice. 

Overall I have been living a lie. The tigers are marginally better and have failed at the one greatest thing by which success is measured. I still love them with all my heart and soul but it’s disappointing to have to accept this truth

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Cleveland has also won 0, so that's kind of ok.

Cleveland losing two WS due to soul crushing game 7 losses is great. 

The Indians make me unhappy.  I am happy to pile on them too. But I don’t think I can in good faith root against them in the post-season. (unless we’re playing them, which seems unlikely)

They have real fans that have the same transcendent connection to their tradition as we have to our’s. The fact their team pounded our team for so long is our team’s problem.

Real baseball fans are like monks. The Dominicans, the Franciscans, the Jesuits, and the Benedictines share a common faith.  When I meet a real baseball fan — and I mean a real fan — I connect with them on a level that normal people can’t understand. A field of dreams level of connection.

When I was trapped for an entire week in my broken down car behind a repair shop in Yellowstone on my ruined vacation three years ago, the kid who ran the place came in on his day off just to make sure everything was OK with me and my son and he was wearing a Brewers jersey and he was a real fan. When we spoke we both had stars in our eyes. Normal people simply can’t understand this. I feel sorry for them. 

I can’t in good faith deny to another holy order that hasn’t known it for 72 years the sense of blessedness you feel when your team wins the World Series. I have experienced it twice and I think anyone who hasn’t is profoundly unfortunate.

That goes for my fellow Tiger fans who have stuck with this team and have never experienced the ultimate joy of a World Series championship.  I hope I live to see you experience it. 

• Like 1

I liked the Royals in the 70s. I haven't like them since but did feel like George Brett was about a perfect ball player. My hate for the Indians runs far deeper than my dislike of the Royals. Maybe because I've encountered many troll Cleveland fans on various Detroit boards. When Miggy let Hosmer take one of his at-bats in an all-star game because Hosmer had a shot at MVP, the first thing Hosmer said post game was what a class act Miggy is. And Royals fans gave Miggy a standing O in KC the game he clinched the triple crown. Imho KC has more class than Cleveland. But still, **** em both. And who ate my hummus?

Edit to add: I typed this post while taking a dump

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leflore said:

I liked the Royals in the 70s. I haven't like them since but did feel like George Brett was about a perfect ball player. My hate for the Indians runs far deeper than my dislike of the Royals. Maybe because I've encountered many troll Cleveland fans on various Detroit boards. When Miggy let Hosmer take one of his at-bats in an all-star game because Hosmer had a shot at MVP, the first thing Hosmer said post game was what a class act Miggy is. And Royals fans gave Miggy a standing O in KC the game he clinched the triple crown. Imho KC has more class than Cleveland. But still, **** em both. And who ate my hummus?

Edit to add: I typed this post while taking a dump

Oh I hear ya. One of the Indians fans I’ve met is the longtime manager of the local ABC affiliate. A really great guy who qualifies as a man of the cloth. I tune out the people who are boo birds and trash talk keyboard warriors. Real fans are great. Those are the Indians fans I wish well. Also when you go that long without winning it disfigures you.

I was always biased towards Indians fans based off experiences  I had with them when I was a kid/teen when they used to come in droves to Tigers Stadium cause they couldn't get tickets at Jacobs Field.  I was about 15 or 16 at the time but my brothers were a few years younger and were basically just kids yet they despite that they would mock us for cheering for the Tigers.  My Step Dad had to be restrained several times from getting physical due to how rude they were to us.  

I liked the 70’s Royals, too—probably because they played in a few postseasons, so I saw them more.  Frank White, Hal McRae, Freddie Patek, Amos Otis, etc...  fun lineup.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was always biased towards Indians fans based off experiences  I had with them when I was a kid/teen when they used to come in droves to Tigers Stadium cause they couldn't get tickets at Jacobs Field.  I was about 15 or 16 at the time but my brothers were a few years younger and were basically just kids yet they despite that they would mock us for cheering for the Tigers.  My Step Dad had to be restrained several times from getting physical due to how rude they were to us.  

That sounds like University of Idaho fans who come to Boise State for football games. They justly earn the nickname of “nasty and inebriated.“ I don’t consider people like that “fans.“ They are merely spectators acting out.

Real fans share a love for the underlying forms and universal symmetries of the game that are actualized in the content of a specific club’s tradition. It’s like a fresh water aquifer bubbling up in various cities where people build shrines called ballparks around oases where magic cures take place and generations seek refreshment. 

The Indians in the 70’s and 80’s were not very memorable.  Rick Manning, Duane Kuiper, Andre Thornton, Mike Hargrove, the Eck and that’s about it.

5 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Regardless of Casmir’s astute observation, as pleasing as it is, neither the Tigers nor the Indians have won a World Series in the last 35 full seasons but for the Indians their drought is 72 years long. Ha!

But, getting back to feeling sorry for ourselves, in the last 35 seasons, not counting this one because of the Royals and the Tigers have an identical 20 wins so far, the Royals have averaged 72.46 wins per season while the Tigers have averaged 75.6. 

I have long have this idea that the Royals were really the chumps of the division and the Tigers were easily the better team, but if you look at the last 35 seasons, some strike-shortened of course, the Tigers are only 3 games a year better and have won the big enchilada not once while the Royals however have won twice. 

Overall I have been living a lie. The tigers are marginally better and have failed at the one greatest thing by which success is measured. I still love them with all my heart and soul but it’s disappointing to have to accept this truth

On the other hand, the Royals have been far more consistently bad in that time, making the playoffs a mere 3 times.  Since the switch to three divisions in 1994, the Royals have finished 4th or 5th 16 times out of 26 seasons.  From 1985, they've only won their division twice and finished above .500 9 times.

By direct comparison, the Tigers made the playoffs 6 times, finished 4th or 5th 13 out of 26 times since 1994 (okay, only a little better) and since 1985 have won the division 5 times and finished above .500 14 times.

So while over the long term the two teams appear closely matched, the Tigers are more likely to be good in any given year.  The Tigers also were able to have sustained success (2011-2014 playoffs, and 6 out of 7 years >.500 including 5 years in a row, plus the mid-80s at the beginning of this period) while the Royals only managed to hit .500 in three consecutive years (twice).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Indians in the 70’s and 80’s were not very memorable.  Rick Manning, Duane Kuiper, Andre Thornton, Mike Hargrove, the Eck and that’s about it.

Don't forget Gaylord Perry. Mr. Brylcreame had a couple good years with them. 

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I liked the 70’s Royals, too—probably because they played in a few postseasons, so I saw them more.  Frank White, Hal McRae, Freddie Patek, Amos Otis, etc...  fun lineup.

It was the Whitey Herzog effect

Down to the final dozen games already?  This season has flown by.

I don't hate the Indians at all.  That's because when I was a little kid, living 10 miles west of Niagara Falls, there were 2 types of fans:

(a) Yankees fans, especially among all the Italians, because historically the Yankees had all the best Italians (Berra, DiMaggio, Rizzuto)

(b) Cleveland fans, because it was the shortest bus trip (just half an hour shorter than Detroit).  My favourite aunt was an Indians fan, especially Rocky Colavito.  

So, I don't hate the Cleveland Indians.

• Like 1