Motown Bombers

Site Compromised?

I got a strange email that may or may not be related to this message forum so I figured I would run it by you guys. I was digging through an old email account I rarely use and came across an email in June. It was from someone titled Mastr Plux and the subject line read "I RECORDED YOU - Hey,  I infected your computer and one of your password is _____, right?" Well the password listed is the one I use for this forum. It's a very basic password I use mostly for message forums and I have since changed it. My thought is a site was compromised and they got the password there. They sent this extortion attempt to an email I never use. The only place I can recall using that email address with an account using that password is this website. I would have thought they would have tried at one of my other more commonly used email address but if that email address is the only email address they have associated with that password, that leads me to here. It's possible I used that password and email combination with other forums that I was never active at or forgot. Ultimately, I'm not worrying too much about it as it's not a password I use for more important sites. 

It has happened to me a few times as well. There is an old password that I used a long time ago on a few sites that don't involve money or other valuable info.  I used that password on motownsports as well but have since changed it.   It is impossible to know which site was compromised.  

34 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

PSA: use a password manager. You shouldn’t know your own passwords. 

What happens when the password manager is compromised and all of your accounts are exposed? 

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What happens when the password manager is compromised and all of your accounts are exposed? 

They will be encrypted so nothing will happen. 

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The password manager I use does not put its file online.  The password file sits on my local hard drive or you could keep it on a flash drive.  

I only know the one password to get into my manager.  After that I have hundreds of different passwords and I don't have a clue what they look like.   And they are very strong and secure passwords that look like this:

kdJ|R:c?g4#r3bUzszbMU\A@q7

52 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The password manager I use does not put its file online.  The password file sits on my local hard drive or you could keep it on a flash drive.  

I only know the one password to get into my manager.  After that I have hundreds of different passwords and I don't have a clue what they look like.   And they are very strong and secure passwords that look like this:

kdJ|R:c?g4#r3bUzszbMU\A@q7

What manager do you use? I assume there is one login to the manager? 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What manager do you use? I assume there is one login to the manager? 

KeePass

https://keepass.info/

Yes.  You open the file, it asks for a master password, and then the file opens giving you access to all of your passwords.

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

KeePass

https://keepass.info/

Yes.  You open the file, it asks for a master password, and then the file opens giving you access to all of your passwords.

does it play well across multiple computers? I end up using up to 4 different computers through the course of the day and have pretty much assumed that a PW manager was not going to synchronize well enough to be useful for me.

I only use my computer and phone, so I can't really speak on that.  I keep my database on my computer and upload it to my Google Drive and my phone pulls it off of there.

They do have apps you can install to help you sync up.

https://keepass.info/plugins.html

Under the I/O & Synchronization heading.  I think most use KeeAnywhere.  

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I only use my computer and phone, so I can't really speak on that.  I keep my database on my computer and upload it to my Google Drive and my phone pulls it off of there.

They do have apps you can install to help you sync up.

https://keepass.info/plugins.html

Under the I/O & Synchronization heading.  I think most use KeeAnywhere.  

thanks Del - I think I will look into it.  I have a heuristic I use to generate unique passwords for different sites but I don't kid myself it would be that hard to crack.