sagnam

Week 1 vs Bears pregame

I'm not interested in Valenti's manufactured rants. The Athletic has a free pod out there with Chris Burke and Nick Baumgartner if you need something a bit more nuanced.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Seems like every Lions loss ever.

Correction: every close loss in football for all teams

2 hours ago, kdog said:

I'm not interested in Valenti's manufactured rants. The Athletic has a free pod out there with Chris Burke and Nick Baumgartner if you need something a bit more nuanced.

Nuance?  We don't need no stinking nuance!

19 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and Quinn is no better. The overall talent level is not improving in the off seasons. At best it's been running in place: add this guy after losing that guy.

Yep, you can't fire one without firing the other at this point. Quinn cannot be allowed to have a third coaching hire and a 5th offseason to further deplete this roster or try again with another rebuild. Once again, if I am Sheila Ford, as depressing as it seems, I'd go back to the NFL's Advisory Committee and seek help in hiring a new GM. Then, I'd let that GM make all other personnel decisions. The HC should not be hired before the GM is, they should get full autonomy over building this franchise, top to bottom.

I freely admit that I have zero clue who would be a good GM or coaching candidate. I could list off a cast of names from successful franchises, not named New England, and that would be my speculation. If we wanted to go outside the box I'd love to see us be so bad that we are in a position to allow the new GM to draft Trevor Lawrence and hire Dabo Swinney as the Head Coach. At least keep us in a position to allow the new GM to draft a top QB, Trevor Lawrence or otherwise.

Quinn definitely is just as much if not more deserving of getting fired than Patricia.  Patricia sucks no doubt and his stubbornness to continue to run that same scheme is ridiculous but in his defense Quinn hasn't exactly been giving him a bunch of talent.  Quinn's been here 5 years now and he's drafted or acquired 1 Pro Bowl level player and that's Golloday.   

Yes he's drafted some solid guys like Ragnow, Decker and some others but in 5 years if you only draft 1 pro bowl level player and only a few other solid starters you are losing ground to everybody in the league.    

45 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yep, you can't fire one without firing the other at this point. Quinn cannot be allowed to have a third coaching hire and a 5th offseason to further deplete this roster or try again with another rebuild. Once again, if I am Sheila Ford, as depressing as it seems, I'd go back to the NFL's Advisory Committee and seek help in hiring a new GM. Then, I'd let that GM make all other personnel decisions. The HC should not be hired before the GM is, they should get full autonomy over building this franchise, top to bottom.

I freely admit that I have zero clue who would be a good GM or coaching candidate. I could list off a cast of names from successful franchises, not named New England, and that would be my speculation. If we wanted to go outside the box I'd love to see us be so bad that we are in a position to allow the new GM to draft Trevor Lawrence and hire Dabo Swinney as the Head Coach. At least keep us in a position to allow the new GM to draft a top QB, Trevor Lawrence or otherwise.

He's only had one coaching hire. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Patricia continues to bomb, I don't think he deserves another.  

And to me, the original sin was not firing Caldwell out of the gate.  If you had a vision for the team, you should come in an implement the vision from day one.  Farting around with Caldwell kept his rebuild of the team off for at least one and possibly two seasons.  If you hold Quinn to his word (and I'm not sure I do) then he drafted Jarad Davis to fit the defense he had at the time.  If he didn't like that defense or wanted to go in a different direction, then drafting Davis was a mistake.  That's a first round pick thrown down the drain because he wanted to fit in to a defense Quinn didn't want or believe in.  Mistake.

Not that I think his rebuild has been a success, it clearly hasn't.  The hits (Decker, Galloway, Ragnow) haven't made up for the lack of high end talent and the misses (Davis, Tavai, everyone on the defense other than maybe Tracy Walker, but they've demoted him to the second team now...).

I think she should have fired everyone after last year.  They really have three more games to figure it out because if they're 0-4 at the bye week, I think they're all getting broomed.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would never hire Dabo Sweeney to be a pro coach.  The guy does well because he pays his players more than other coaches and has more talent than anyone.  I don't see him as anything special in a league like the NFL where the talent is pretty equal.

There are plenty of NFL assistants I'd look at first.  Eric Bienemy being at the top of the list.  Saleh from the Niners too, which people have mentioned before.

Like you, I have zero clue about who would be good.  The unfortunate thing is that the Lions don't either.  And honestly, neither does Ernie Accorsi if he's out there recommending Bob Quinn or anyone from the Patriots other than Bill Belicheck.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Caldwell wasn't his hire but he chose to retain him and that counts as his two coaches. If Caldwell was forced on him by Martha then that's a whole other problem we have to deal with having clueless ownership make personnel decisions.

43 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I would never hire Dabo Sweeney to be a pro coach.  The guy does well because he pays his players more than other coaches and has more talent than anyone.  I don't see him as anything special in a league like the NFL where the talent is pretty equal.

There are plenty of NFL assistants I'd look at first.  Eric Bienemy being at the top of the list.  Saleh from the Niners too, which people have mentioned before.

Like you, I have zero clue about who would be good.  The unfortunate thing is that the Lions don't either.  And honestly, neither does Ernie Accorsi if he's out there recommending Bob Quinn or anyone from the Patriots other than Bill Belicheck.

There are a number of coaches out there I could list off that I can only speculate would be good for this franchise, two of which you mentioned in Saleh and Bienemy. Whoever they hire though for GM and coach, I want those individuals to be able to make adjustments to their scheme and philosophy. To be able to draft the best players and build around the talent, not have a set in stone scheme and build talent around the scheme. People who realize when something isn't working and needs to be tweaked, changed, or abandon altogether. People who don't think they are smarter than everyone else and pass up the obvious because they think they can outfox every other coach or GM by doing something else.

Did someone say the Lions needed a pass rusher?

• The San Francisco 49ers' visit with pass rusher Ziggy Ansah has ended without an agreement for a contract and Ansah will continue his search for the right team and fit, Rapoport reported.

With a banged up secondary, it's imperative the Lions get consistent pressure on the opposing QB. Maybe our genius HC will see that and dial up some blitzes?  Or just keep rushing 3 guys and give them 20 seconds to find the best wide open receiver they can. Pathetic.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Did someone say the Lions needed a pass rusher?

• The San Francisco 49ers' visit with pass rusher Ziggy Ansah has ended without an agreement for a contract and Ansah will continue his search for the right team and fit, Rapoport reported.

if someone needed a pass rusher, why would they sign ansah?

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

if someone needed a pass rusher, why would they sign ansah?

Because of the law of averages... I mean, a team can only be so unlucky right?  If they add Ansah to the IR list then sign another pass rusher, it's less likely that that other pass rusher will end up on IR because the team already has people there.  I'm pretty sure that's how statistics work.

Hey, for those who missed the fun the first time around or want to experience it again, NFL Network is replaying the Lions-Bears game right now.  Woo hoo!

On 9/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Quinn definitely is just as much if not more deserving of getting fired than Patricia.  Patricia sucks no doubt and his stubbornness to continue to run that same scheme is ridiculous but in his defense Quinn hasn't exactly been giving him a bunch of talent.  Quinn's been here 5 years now and he's drafted or acquired 1 Pro Bowl level player and that's Golloday.   

Yes he's drafted some solid guys like Ragnow, Decker and some others but in 5 years if you only draft 1 pro bowl level player and only a few other solid starters you are losing ground to everybody in the league.    

Quinn shot himself in the foot with the whole "9-7 isn't good enough" remark.    If you say that out loud, you'd better get there pretty quickly.  We're in the 3rd season since he said that and the first 2 weren't even close - so if he's not 10-6 this year, if I am the team owner or president, I'm throwing that at his feet.   So the second it's clear that they will not achieve that this year, he and Patricia need to be gone.  But you have to make it align with your schedule, so that means either they are gone after the last game of the bye week (after Game 4) or after the Thanksgiving game when they have a 10 day break.      No way one stays and the other goes,  this is a combo meal here.   This is why I want this team to lose now............nothing will happen this year, so they may as well lose a bunch and get the next QB (Fields, Lance or Trevor) to go with the next GM and and Coach.    Quinn or Patricia will never get a GM or Head Coach job in the NFL again.   

i dont believe quinn ever said "9-7 isnt good enough."

it doesnt matter because 3-12-1 sure aint good enough.

I believe this is the full and infamous 9-7 quote. It doesn't expressly state 9-7 not being good enough, but firing a HC after he goes 9-7 says it for you.

“Our record was above average — 9-7 the last two years — but our record against the better teams in the league has not been that good.”