1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Their second half drives were:

Touchdown

Field Goal

Punt

Missed FG

Interception

Dropped Touchdown Pass

On the missed FG drive, they passed on back to back first downs. ADP had a couple 14 yard runs. Stafford was sacked on 2nd and 8.

I guess I’m just not seeing a situation where the team wasn’t being aggressive enough with the lead. It kind of feels like they were a little too aggressive. 

In this context, it doesn't look so bad. But I guess your offense has to be almost perfect when you give up this sequence on defense in a flash:

Touchdown(11 plays, 59 yards)

Punt

Touchdown(5 plays, 55 yards)

Touchdown(2 plays, 37 yards)

The Lions win probability was like 98% with 4 minutes left but they had no chance to stop the Bears once all the corners went out and they weren't pressurring Mitch. But not touching the quarterback seems to be the design of the head coach's defense I guess. Their pattern is to play passive defense and to roll over late. With that in mind, the offense has to be letter perfect to compensate.

In addition, the offense took almost a full half to unlock. That did not happen for other teams with vet quarterbacks and returning offensive coordinators.

11 blown 4th quarter leads under patricia in 3 years?  led the league last year.

maybe this is payback for them getting so lucky the last time they went 9-7 and made the playoffs?

The Lions did throw a lot on first down fwiw(the athletic):

While we will never see Carroll model his offense after Martz, we could see more games like Sunday, especially if the Seahawks put up points the way they did against the Falcons, when they scored 38 on offense, their seventh-highest total in 10-plus seasons under Carroll. Possibly adding the suspended Josh Gordon to the receiving corps later in the season would give Carroll even greater reason to trust his quarterback.

Here’s a look at how frequently teams passed in Week 1 on early downs in the first 28 minutes of regulation:

RANK

TEAM

COOK INDEX

67%
67%
65%
65%
63%
61%
59%
59%
56%

The frustrating thing is that there were so many opportunities for this game to have been handled. Make the 55 yarder. Don’t get sacked on 2-8 before that attempt. Punt instead of attemptOmg the 55 yarder. Convert on 3-5 instead of throwing an interception. Throw an incomplete pass instead of an interception. Run the ball and convert. Run the ball and fail and punt them back to their own 20. Hold on to the ball you caught at the goal line. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

Because you put your heart and hope into them, which is a mistake.

Big mistake.  I root against them, and hope that their loss is of the comic-relief variety.

Yesterday, when it was 23-6, I had resigned myself to a Lions victory, but was consoling myself by saying "It's only the Bears."

But then the Lions became who I thought they were, and at the end I was laughing my *** off.

The Lions and their Rocket Science Defense once again did what no one else can -- make Mitch Trubisky look good.

Hilarious. 

Matt Patricia is not a good Head Coach.  He does nothing well.   I even question how good of a Defensive Coordinator he is since all of his past success was on the coat tails of the greatest Head Coach and Quarterback combo in history while playing in the easiest division in the NFL.  

• Thanks 1

Also, did Jahlani Tavai do anything of significance yesterday? I know it's only one game in, but I don't recall him doing anything beyond 2-3 tackles. Quinn is headed towards another 2nd round bust.

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Also, did Jahlani Tavai do anything of significance yesterday? I know it's only one game in, but I don't recall him doing anything beyond 2-3 tackles. Quinn is headed towards another 2nd round bust.

i thought he was pathetic.  all i ever see him do is eat blocks.

51 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Matt Patricia is not a good Head Coach.  He does nothing well.   I even question how good of a Defensive Coordinator he is since all of his past success was on the coat tails of the greatest Head Coach and Quarterback combo in history while playing in the easiest division in the NFL.  

and their defense on those teams was bad!  the best his defenses ever were in new england was middle of the pack.

and as soon as he left, the defense became one of the best in the league.

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He played exactly like Detroit Lions 2nd round draft pick.  

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He had the neutral zone infraction on the bears’ final TD drive.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

the lions were ripping off runs.  they were not being passive on those drives, like you said if anything they were being too aggressive.  especially with the 55 yard field goal.

the bottom line is that they lost.  whether patricia is too aggressive or too passive doesnt really matter, the bottom line is that he keeps losing no matter what he does.

coming up:

at packers

at cardinals

host saints

0-4 is a definite possibility.  especially if okudah, trufant, and coleman are all hurt.  lions third string dbs against aaron rogers, kyler murray, and drew brees.

fun times.

Patricia is 9-23 (9-15 with a healthy Stafford). 9-7 wasn't good enough according to Quinn and Patricia has 9 wins in 2+ seasons with numerous 4th quarter collapses sprinkled in. Blame the offense, blame the defense, blame the special teams, blame the mascot, blame the virtual fans. None of it matters, the head of the snake is Quinn and Patricia. This is their team, their players, their culture. They suck at their jobs, somehow made a pretty crappy Lions team a whole lot worse. 

If/when the Lions go 1-3 or 0-4 to start the season, it's time to start the "blowing up" process. Fire Quinntricia then trade Stafford in the offseason (for his sake mostly) and start anew with a new GM, coach, QB trio and pray that the new regime doesn't get "Lionized" like all the ones prior to them over the last 60+ years.  Essentially, I agree with you and am just piggybacking on your point.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The Patriots defense got better when Patricia left and the Lions D got a lot worse when he arrived. He's never done anything well. A fraud who thinks his **** don't stink. Hindsight and all but they made a big mistake zoning in on Patricia and not making a run at Vrabel.

• Thanks 1

The Lions are leading in the 4th quarter in a lot of games. I can see firing Patricia and naming Bevell the interim head coach and see how the team responds. If the team responds well, make it permanent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Big mistake.  I root against them, and hope that their loss is of the comic-relief variety.

Yesterday, when it was 23-6, I had resigned myself to a Lions victory, but was consoling myself by saying "It's only the Bears."

But then the Lions became who I thought they were, and at the end I was laughing my *** off.

The Lions and their Rocket Science Defense once again did what no one else can -- make Mitch Trubisky look good.

Hilarious. 

You’re not as far gone as I am. When the Lions went into the fourth quarter I said to my wife, “still plenty of time to lose it”. Then with each touchdown it was, literally, “there’s one”, then “there’s two”, then “and there’s three”.

And when the easy touchdown pass was dropped, all I said was, “yup.”

Just like a movie: it’s already scripted.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Patricia is 9-23 (9-15 with a healthy Stafford). 9-7 wasn't good enough according to Quinn and Patricia has 9 wins in 2+ seasons with numerous 4th quarter collapses sprinkled in. Blame the offense, blame the defense, blame the special teams, blame the mascot, blame the virtual fans. None of it matters, the head of the snake is Quinn and Patricia. This is their team, their players, their culture. They suck at their jobs, somehow made a pretty crappy Lions team a whole lot worse. 

If/when the Lions go 1-3 or 0-4 to start the season, it's time to start the "blowing up" process. Fire Quinntricia then trade Stafford in the offseason (for his sake mostly) and start anew with a new GM, coach, QB trio and pray that the new regime doesn't get "Lionized" like all the ones prior to them over the last 60+ years.  Essentially, I agree with you and am just piggybacking on your point.

They wont go 1-3 or 0-4 though...it is the lions...they will win the next 2 games, get everyone excited a little bit then lose 5 in a row, after that it is hard to predict, but they WILL win a game or 2 "they should not have" and will lose 3-4 they "DEFINITELY should have won"

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

The frustrating thing is that there were so many opportunities for this game to have been handled. Make the 55 yarder. Don’t get sacked on 2-8 before that attempt. Punt instead of attemptOmg the 55 yarder. Convert on 3-5 instead of throwing an interception. Throw an incomplete pass instead of an interception. Run the ball and convert. Run the ball and fail and punt them back to their own 20. Hold on to the ball you caught at the goal line. 

Seems like every Lions loss ever.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

You forgot to credit Patricia 1 tie.

57 minutes ago, Shelton said:

They should hire that row the boat guy. 

honestly, jim harbaugh would be a great hire for the lions, but he would want some personnel control and i wouldnt want to give him that.

but as a quick fix coach?  2-3 years with a veteran talented but occasionally erratic qb like stafford?  the lions could do a lot worse.

pj fleck has college written all over him.  dude is destined for notre dame or michigan at some point if/when kelly or harbaugh leave.

I should be thankful that they came up with such an epic fail right out of gate this season. I've finally gotten to where my investment in the Lions has withered to not much more than checking for the final score at the end of the day, but with football there is always the risk of getting sucked back in by a few early wins. Looks like I am safe for another year!    🏈 🚽

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

The Patriots defense got better when Patricia left and the Lions D got a lot worse when he arrived. He's never done anything well. A fraud who thinks his **** don't stink. Hindsight and all but they made a big mistake zoning in on Patricia and not making a run at Vrabel.

and Quinn is no better. The overall talent level is not improving in the off seasons. At best it's been running in place: add this guy after losing that guy.