sagnam

Week 1 vs Bears pregame

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Look at the New Orleans Saints, they used to be the Aints. Then they brought in Mickey Loomis, changed their culture, revamped their roster and started consistently winning. It's obviously possible for bad franchises to turn it around and start winning, you just have to be willing to know when to cut hair when something isn't working and find the right person, in this case a GM, to replace those you got rid of. Quinn has to go and with him Matt Patricia because this just isn't working.

I think lucking into Drew Brees had something to do with that. Loomis didn't accomplish much until he took a gamble on Drew Brees. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I can't wait to hear Mike Valenti lampoon this franchise tomorrow.

yup, thinking the same

Junk coach. Junk defense. Junk franchise. 

Is Mike Vrabel still available?

To me the game was lost when they ran the ball two times in a row after Chicago pulled within three.  

• Like 1

Swift just....dropped the ball. Seriously. He had it in his hands and was bringing in into his body. And he....dropped it. Unreal, only the Lions.

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Swift just....dropped the ball. Seriously. He had it in his hands and was bringing in into his body. And he....dropped it. Unreal, only the Lions.

yup, Lionized

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I can't wait to hear Mike Valenti lampoon this franchise tomorrow.

The whole day will be fun..............Tomorrow will be easy for the hosts...........just go to the phones and put your feet up. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Junk coach. Junk defense. Junk franchise. 

Is Mike Vrabel still available?

No, but Robert Saleh is. If Quinn and Patrica get the ax, Saleh should be high on any GM's coaching list.

39 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No, but Robert Saleh is. If Quinn and Patrica get the ax, Saleh should be high on any GM's coaching list.

Oh that’s right. The guy they should have hired is busy after beating two of the three best teams in the AFC in the playoffs with a castoff QB. 

Today was great.  One week closer to firing this joke of a GM and Coach.  

No, Matt, you didn't make one of the great 4th quarter calls of all time............Darrell Bevell and Pete Carroll made the single stupidest decision in Super Bowl history and you benefited.   

13 hours ago, Aaron said:

To me the game was lost when they ran the ball two times in a row after Chicago pulled within three.  

Totally agree... I mean, there were plenty of moments you can point too, but this is certainly one of them.  run-run-pass... very original... very effective.  🙄

• Thanks 1

Are you ******* kidding me? This is how Matt Patrica responds after ANOTHER 4th quarter collapse by his team? I'd fire him for saying something this outrageous alone.

42 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Totally agree... I mean, there were plenty of moments you can point too, but this is certainly one of them.  run-run-pass... very original... very effective.  🙄

Kind of funny how people wanted them to be more aggressive and I guess pass more when Stafford threw an interception when he did pass. Guess those runs made him throw an interception. I mean, why hand the ball off to a hall of fame RB averaging 8 YPC in the game? 

I'd be curious to go back and look at their defensive coverage and if they blitzed more or less before the 4th quarter. I get that Trufant went down and that hurt them. But defensively speaking, it feels like they let up and let the Bears back into the game, as much as anything they did or didn't do on offense.

30 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Are you ******* kidding me? This is how Matt Patrica responds after ANOTHER 4th quarter collapse by his team? I'd fire him for saying something this outrageous alone.

This is going to define Patricia. In 20 years, when Lions fans look back at the Patricia era, this quote, it’s hubris and tone deafness will encapsulate his tenure here. Much like taking the wind and 0-16 from regimes past. 

45 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Translation: “Yeah, I just don’t give a f*** anymore.”

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kind of funny how people wanted them to be more aggressive and I guess pass more when Stafford threw an interception when he did pass. Guess those runs made him throw an interception. I mean, why hand the ball off to a hall of fame RB averaging 8 YPC in the game? 

Because it's predictable in that situation.  The Lions are looking to milk the clock, so Bear are going to be looking for runs... and the Lions respond by running up the gut twice for very short yardage, which means you're in third and long and been stuffed twice on runs... I wonder what's going to happen:  What? A pass? SHOCKING!

The problem isn't handing off to a HOF RB... the problem isn't that Stafford's pass wasn't aggressive.  The problem is two predictable plays right into the type of defense that the Bears are likely going to be playing, followed by a play that that you're sorta forced into after the first two short runs.

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'd be curious to go back and look at their defensive coverage and if they blitzed more or less before the 4th quarter. I get that Trufant went down and that hurt them. But defensively speaking, it feels like they let up and let the Bears back into the game, as much as anything they did or didn't do on offense.

I would agree.  The offense failed in some key moments, but over all I don't think the offense played horribly in the 4th quarter.  But anytime the defense gives up 3 TDs in a quarter... that's gonna do a lot to kill your chances of a win.

Credit to the Bears: I think they took advantage of the injuries the Lions had in the secondary.

13 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I would agree.  The offense failed in some key moments, but over all I don't think the offense played horribly in the 4th quarter.  But anytime the defense gives up 3 TDs in a quarter... that's gonna do a lot to kill your chances of a win.

Credit to the Bears: I think they took advantage of the injuries the Lions had in the secondary.

Like so often in football, offense and defense can be pretty closely linked. Offensive failures can make things really tough on the defense.

Thinking back to that fourth quarter, the lions were up 10 with the ball and got the ball to the 38 yard line or whatever to set up that 55 yard field goal. I remember thinking that going up 13 didn’t seem to be a very good outcome for such a risky kick. At the same time, it does give you the chance to win or ice the game later with another field goal after that. 

Of course, that miss gave Chicago a very short field and they took advantage against a substantially depleted secondary. 

Going for it was probably not a great call either, because I think it was 4th and 8 or something. I wouldn’t usually advocate for a punt there, but I thought at the time it would have been a good move. 

The interception also put the defense in another bad situation. 

Is this a win if the lions don’t complete that pass to set up 4th and 8 and the 55 yard field goal attempt?

Is this a win if they aren’t trying for “dagger time” and instead just grinding down the clock? 

There is no perfect strategy. I think, ultimately, the players just need to execute. Stafford can’t force that throw. Prater has to make the kick. Swift has to just hold a ball he caught. I would want to think about it some more, but the decision to attempt the long field goal is the one that I think could be fairy second guessed. That specific decision-point had a lot of potential outcomes. 

The offense has to be efficient because the defense is so bad. And when they are ahead by 10, Patricia should act like the game is tied because the other team is about 5 plays away from tieing it up or taking the lead.

He thinks that he has the Pats defense and you can just affort to run/run/punt and stop the other team. As a contrast, the Saints actually have an opportunistic/mediocre defense but they attack when they are ahead by two scores. They know the risk but are still throwing downfield.

10 minutes ago, kdog said:

The offense has to be efficient because the defense is so bad. And when they are ahead by 10, Patricia should act like the game is tied because the other team is about 5 plays away from tieing it up or taking the lead.

He thinks that he has the Pats defense and you can just affort to run/run/punt and stop the other team. As a contrast, the Saints actually have an opportunistic/mediocre defense but they attack when they are ahead by two scores. They know the risk but are still throwing downfield.

Their second half drives were:

Touchdown

Field Goal

Punt

Missed FG

Interception

Dropped Touchdown Pass

On the missed FG drive, they passed on back to back first downs. ADP had a couple 14 yard runs. Stafford was sacked on 2nd and 8.

I guess I’m just not seeing a situation where the team wasn’t being aggressive enough with the lead. It kind of feels like they were a little too aggressive. 

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Their second half drives were:

Touchdown

Field Goal

Punt

Missed FG

Interception

Dropped Touchdown Pass

On the missed FG drive, they passed on back to back first downs. ADP had a couple 14 yard runs. Stafford was sacked on 2nd and 8.

I guess I’m just not seeing a situation where the team wasn’t being aggressive enough with the lead. It kind of feels like they were a little too aggressive. 

the lions were ripping off runs.  they were not being passive on those drives, like you said if anything they were being too aggressive.  especially with the 55 yard field goal.

the bottom line is that they lost.  whether patricia is too aggressive or too passive doesnt really matter, the bottom line is that he keeps losing no matter what he does.

coming up:

at packers

at cardinals

host saints

0-4 is a definite possibility.  especially if okudah, trufant, and coleman are all hurt.  lions third string dbs against aaron rogers, kyler murray, and drew brees.

fun times.