sagnam

Week 1 vs Bears pregame

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

doesnt matter.  thats the rule.

it was a completely stupid unnecessary play that cost the lions one of their best defensive players and may get him suspended for multiple games.

Is it the rule that he's ejected?  I mean, if so than that's a extreme but out of the hands of the refs then.

I really hope the don't suspend him for multiple games.  I mean, I think it's questionable if he was even attempt to make contact and if he was he certainly wasn't intended to hurt.  I think that should come into consideration.

32 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Why do I let this team ruin my every Sunday for 50+ years?

Because you put your heart and hope into them, which is a mistake.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Stafford is a star. I hope he gets cut at the end of the year and ends up on a team like New England where he can win instead of with this ****ty fanbase that blames this inept team on him. I would have thought people would have realized his value after they went 0-8 without him but I guess not. 

So if we bring in another new regime you're forcing them to keep Stafford? You aren't letting them try and draft their own guy, if that's the direction they choose to go in?

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

doesnt matter.  thats the rule.

it was a completely stupid unnecessary play that cost the lions one of their best defensive players and may get him suspended for multiple games.

Yep.   No debate.   That just can’t happen.  Fully lionized 1 half into the season. 

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So if we bring in another new regime you're forcing them to keep Stafford? You are letting them try and draft their own guy, if that's the direction they choose to go in?

I think short of a stupendous turn around for the team and an MVP season from Stafford, the Lions will likely be drafting a QB very high this next draft, and that's regardless of whether the front office and/or coaching staff changes.

I also think that in all likelihood you would not great a fantastic trade haul for Stafford... if that's wrong, I'm not necessarily against trading him as I fear we're headed for another "rebuild" (Yeah, perhaps an overreaction from one game, but still...).  But if you don't get a fantastic haul for Stafford, I think they should keep him, regardless of if the front office and/or the coaching staff changes.  Let the new guy learn a bit on the bench.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So if we bring in another new regime you're forcing them to keep Stafford? You aren't letting them try and draft their own guy, if that's the direction they choose to go in?

Yup. I'm riding that horse as long as I can. I remember the great 2018 QB draft. Still waiting on Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen to emerge. 

This team gave up 21 points in the 4th quarter and dropped the game winning TD in the end zone and the focus is on the QB. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

shouldnt force him on anyone.  im not sure why a coach would want to come in with a rookie qb over stafford.

Another observation... and again, this is based on just one game so it's probably too much of a conclusion based on little evidence, but I know I, at least, have long maintained that the OL just sucked at run blocking and that's why none of our RB ever really panned out (well, that and injuries).  Petterson is making me wonder if maybe the OL wasn't really to blame.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Like Matt Stafford? 12 years and you've won nothing with him. But sure, let's rebuild a third time around him. Third times a charm right?

I'm 60 years old and they've been rebuilding my entire life.

So can we start the "Caldwell curse" yet? 

You know we fired him and said 9-7 wasn't good enough. We haven't come close since. 

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You know we fired him and said 9-7 wasn't good enough. We haven't come close since. 

No.  Don't get me wrong, I sure wouldn't mind some 9-7, but Caldwell was never going to get over the hump, unfortunately.  His in game management stunk.

• Thanks 1

That was a great game!

I saw that loss coming from a mile away!

Nothing will beat the Aaron Rodgers play tho. The Lions lead the entire game and then lost on one untimed play. Thus, the Lions lead during the entire 60 minutes of regulation play and there was no over time yet they still lost the game. An all time classic!

:alien:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i hate this team so much.

I admire your passion. I hardly feel anything for them anymore.

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I admire your passion. I hardly feel anything for them anymore.

i only really care when they lose to the bears.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm 60 years old and they've been rebuilding my entire life.

And it seems this regime isn't the one to get it done either.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

And it seems this regime isn't the one to get it done either.

The next group will, I'm telling ya!

Stafford wasn't blameless before the last drive. He has to play mistake free football given the rest of the roster. The pick and the sack in the 4th quarter have the Bears two short fields. 

8 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The next group will, I'm telling ya!

I liked Quinn when he came in and was excited that the franchise brought in a guy like Ernie Acorsi to help them find Quinn in the first place. I thought he had a real plan he was ready to put in place. I thought he was going to bring real accountability to an organization that had none when he fired scouts, player personnel people, and a coach who went 9-7. It's clear though that his poor drafting track record, finding almost no stars sans Golladay, has depleted this roster of talent. His biggest mistake though has been his coaching hire. Quinn brought in a guy who isn't ready for primetime, doesn't make good adjustments, sets a terrible tone by showing up late to team meetings, and most of all implements a terrible defensive scheme. I'm incredibly disappointed Quinn hasn't worked out because I thought he would.

I never miss a Lions game - ever.

It is the greatest program in the history of television.

You always know the ending but each week are surprised how they get there.

:alien:

22 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Has Patricia even won 9 games in 3 years?

38 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i hate this team so much.

I don’t hate them. I’m just numb to them.

I gave up on the Lions after the Cowboys playoff game in 2015. You know, the one where the official picked up the defensive interference flag without explanation, and ignored Dez Bryant running onto the field with his helmet off to protest the call? That was the last straw for me. If the officials, the league, Lady Luck and their own Front office’s, coaching staff’s and players’ incompetence are going to conspire against the Lions to keep them in loserville forever, why should I give my heart to them? It would only get broken over and over, and that would my fault, not theirs.

Sure, I’ll watch them, because what else am I going to do in the fall? Watch the Bears? Well, maybe I will when they play the Lions. But really, I don’t know why I watch the Lions other than habit, because I don’t even root for them. I don’t root against them, either. I just watch, like it’s a movie. No cheers. No tears. No tension. The entertainment is in seeing what fresh helll gets visited upon them. It’s comical. That’s what makes it entertaining to me, at least at this point in their history that’s now going on 57 years.

It’s now been six years since I gave up on this version of the franchise, and they haven’t made me regret it yet. I’ll come back when they take competing seriously. When they stop hiring front office for loyalty irrespective of competence. When they stop firing decent black coaches to stick with terrible white coaches through thin instead. When they stop throwing away the careers of Hall of Famers by surrounding them with players who have no business in professional football. When they stop wasting all of our time with whatever this is.

My point of view is, their incompetence-bordering-on-malfeasance lost me as a fan. They have to earn me back.

You might consider going the same route.

Look at the New Orleans Saints, they used to be the Aints. A bad team, in the doldrums of the league for 4 decades. Then they brought in a new GM Mickey Loomis, changed their culture, revamped their roster and started consistently winning. It's obviously possible for bad franchises to turn it around and start winning, you just have to be willing to know when to cut hair when something isn't working and find the right person, in this case a GM, to replace those you got rid of. Quinn has to go and with him Matt Patricia because this just isn't working.