Keepleyland2

9/11 @8:10 Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Double steal. McCann was so surprised, he dropped the pitch. He didn't even get a throw off. Both runners scored, too.

Not a double steal. The runner at first held until McCann lost the ball. Miggy just ran on his own. 

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If they decide Paredes is overmatched I would be glad to see Schwindel get a shot. Odds are Frank is a AAAA kind of guy but if Paredes goes back to Toledo I can't think of any other IF prospect close enough that would get blocked if Candelario goes back to third.

he is overmatched; I think Parades plays 2b at Toledo all next year (fingers crossed hey have a complete season); he does not turn 22 until Feb; i like that they got him some real ABs this year; maybe Schwindel can Chris Shelton it for a month

27 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

he is overmatched; I think Parades plays 2b at Toledo all next year (fingers crossed hey have a complete season); he does not turn 22 until Feb; i like that they got him some real ABs this year; maybe Schwindel can Chris Shelton it for a month

He won't be there all next year. 

Isaac has all offseason to work on whatever he's learned from this season. Way too early to already decide he needs to stay in Toledo next year. Remember how lost Candy looked just 5 weeks ago? 

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That was a backbreaker yesterday.    That one hurt.  

I was able to disengage from my disappointment because Casey showed glimmers of what he’s actually capable of, which I think is more authentic than the glimmers that we have seen from a raft of other pitchers in the past for whom that glimmer was episodic instead of indicative. Boyd, Fulmer, and Norris have all had great games but that promise has never been reliably expressed. 

Just now, IdahoBert said:

I was able to disengage from my disappointment because Casey showed glimmers of what he’s actually capable of, which I think is more authentic than the glimmers that we have seen from a raft of other pitchers in the past for whom that glimmer was episodic instead of indicative. Boyd, Fulmer, and Norris have all had great games but that promise has never been reliably expressed. 

I love the fact that he didn't just rely on his splitter as the out pitch. More sliders and curveballs. That bodes really well for his future. 

This was during the game: 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Yoda said:

I love the fact that he didn't just rely on his splitter as the out pitch. More sliders and curveballs. That bodes really well for his future. 

Yes. There are objective reasons with substantiating data to support a degree of confidence in his development that is unique in comparison to other pitchers. He may not throw as hard as some but if he can command a variety of pitches that undermine hitters’ best educated guesses he could keep them off balance enough to be pretty devastating  

With the control he had, for one game, he kinda reminded me of Greg Maddux.

37 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Yes. There are objective reasons with substantiating data to support a degree of confidence in his development that is unique in comparison to other pitchers. He may not throw as hard as some but if he can command a variety of pitches that undermine hitters’ best educated guesses he could keep them off balance enough to be pretty devastating  

his  FB seems to dart enough that he doesn't have to throw it 95 all the time. I think another difference for Casey yesterday was also working up and down in the zone - or maybe just couldn't command the FB up high. I think in at least one of his prior starts he sort of fell in love with the bottom of the zone - which goes hand in hand with throwing the splitter probably. That's fine once through the order, but hitters are in the big leagues because they can adjust to almost anything if you do enough.

Right now in terms of guessing who sticks around,  I like Mize, Skubal, Turnbull, Soto, Bryan Garcia and still like Norris. So that is a core of just about 1/2 a full pitching staff. Boyd will probably be here until the staff is deep enough that someone bumps him out of a job, which could be a while yet. Fulmer gets an incomplete - I don't know if he is going to make it back if he doesn't recover a little more velocity - but it's early yet for him.

14 minutes ago, leflore said:

With the control he had, for one game, he kinda reminded me of Greg Maddux.

When I was watching this on TV he had, however, these pitches that were 2 feet out of the strike zone. I expected the worst. And when I turned the TV back on he had a no-hitter going. I found it frustrating but it seemed to work. Was this intentional or a lack of control of a particular pitch. 

Isaac Paredes is not lost.  He’s just not getting hits right now.  It happens to the best players, including rookies.  I can’t believe we’re talking about Frank Schwindel getting AB’s at the expense of developing our future core?  Especially during a lost season.

Would Willi Castro be hitting this well if he hadn’t gone through what he did last season?

Let the kids play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

He won't be there all next year. 

Isaac has all offseason to work on whatever he's learned from this season. Way too early to already decide he needs to stay in Toledo next year. Remember how lost Candy looked just 5 weeks ago? 

TBF, Candelario's journey to where he is now did include a good chunk of time in the minors last season. In a normal world, the conventional wisdom is that a hitter can develop more when he has is having least some success than when he has none. You're not getting much useful feedback when it's three or four games between hits, so I don't think leaving a guy in against pitching that has him stymied is any favor to his development. Isaac is currently on a 1/30 with no walks. I can see them riding for a bit more, but at some point I don't think you are helping him if he doesn't start finding some success - even in a year when the only alternative you can offer is the current dog and pony show in Toledo.

Then again, there are less than 20 games left. This whole thing is too weird.

46 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Isaac Paredes is not lost.  He’s just not getting hits right now.  It happens to the best players, including rookies.  I can’t believe we’re talking about Frank Schwindel getting AB’s at the expense of developing our future core?  Especially during a lost season.

Would Willi Castro be hitting this well if he hadn’t gone through what he did last season?

Let the kids play.

Agreed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

Perhaps this was the reaction to seeing what Brady Singer did.........which is fine by me.  

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Let the kids play.

Gardy sat him tonight (Saturday). We don't want him to do what Jake Rogers did last year which was hitting .125 with over 100 AB's. To keep him in the ML lineup for 100+ AB's was bizarre and likely not healthy. Teams don't do that.

22 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Let the kids play.

I have to agree. Many young players need to learn by making "rookie" mistakes and by struggling at the plate. A slump? Even veterans need to work their way through them.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I have to agree. Many young players need to learn by making "rookie" mistakes and by struggling at the plate. A slump? Even veterans need to work their way through them.

Good article here about “lost” Paredes:

How Detroit Tigers' Isaac Paredes was discovered in Mexico: 'This guy's got it'

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/09/13/detroit-tigers-isaac-paredes-discovered-mexico/5680166002/

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Perhaps this was the reaction to seeing what Brady Singer did.........which is fine by me.  

Yeah. He made a decision to pitch because of that.