Keepleyland2

9/11 @8:10 Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

The invisible crowd is really into this game. They’re making a lot of noise. Do the players hear of this stuff or is it just simply plugged into the TV and radio audio feed?

I always find it both amazing and frustrating that a pitcher can have the precision to miss with the same pitch to exactly the same spot repeatedly but not the accuracy to bring that pitch to where it needs to be.

54 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Per Shep Giolito and All-Star James McCann have a Vulcan mind-meld thing going. Woooo...

Jesus, did he really say that? I mean, did he use “mind meld”?

48 minutes ago, jbhappy said:

ugh, I forgot Tim frickin' Anderson is on this team. got him the first time, at least.

Just barely got him the second time, too. That’s out on a real summer night.

42 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

OK, after seeing a string of home jerseys on an ad with the D that’s normally on the hat on the jersey it does look weird. It’s not a big deal, it’s not like they changed the uniform to ‘84 San Diego Padres monkey poop brown and yellow but it is disconcerting. It requires people to buy new jerseys if they are so inclined.

Some algorithm probably predicted an extra $10,000 in sales by doing that and that was $10,000 they just couldn’t do without. The impersonal logic of capital accumulation requires it. It flattens everything in its path. Everything solid melts away, everything holy is profaned. 

Ilitches have futzed with the attire a few times during their tenure. I doubt this will be the last. I gotta believe they are itching for alternate colored jerseys. Navy blue would be bad enough. Orange would be, as you say, profane.

27 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Mize gets through 2 innings on 24 pitches.

46 thru 4. Against a great lineup. 

Just now, chasfh said:

Ilitches have futzed with the attire a few times during their tenure. I doubt this will be the last. I gotta believe they are itching for alternate colored jerseys. Navy blue would be bad enough. Orange would be, as you say, profane.

Come on

You think colored uniforms, an MLB standard by now, are a bridge too far for the Ilitches? The guys with the Tiger coming out of the D?

Come on.

I know we always mock at the old cliche of being a pitcher and not a thrower but thus far I think that holds true with Mize.  He is changing eye levels and not getting into patterns.  Starting Abreu with that slider was a perfect example of that. 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know we always mock at the old cliche of being a pitcher and not a thrower but thus far I think that holds true with Mize.  He is changing eye levels and not getting into patterns.  Starting Abreu with that slider was a perfect example of that. 

Didn’t throw one anywhere close to the strike zone and still struck him out. That’s a pitcher for you.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Jack sounds drunk....or stoned.

He's a Mormon, likely doesn't drink much. Probably has a lozenge or hard candy in his mouth.

Mize finally looking like he was supposed to. Like it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You think colored uniforms, an MLB standard by now, are a bridge too far for the Ilitches? The guys with the Tiger coming out of the D?

Come on.

The tiger through the D was also thrown out by Mike. 

It’s a fad throughout baseball, so anything is possible. But Inalso think that if they haven’t done it by now, they won’t be doing it any time soon. Given the backlash when the altered the D and/or made it bigger on the official hat, I don’t see why they would go to the trouble of those hideous solid color tops. 

Has the team actually done anything specific recently that makes you think this is likely? Other that sucking in general as a franchise, of course. 

I think sucking in general as owners is motive enough.

In any event, I think it’s past the fad phase. I believe 27 of the 30 teams have colored uniforms. I always felt the Tigers were special, along the lines of the Yankees and Dodgers, for not having had them. I’d sure hate to see that go away.