Jump to content
Keepleyland2

9/10 2:15/5:15 Detroit Tigers at St. Louis Cardinals

Recommended Posts

FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly (November or December 2020). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

I am stupid. I have decided to be cautiously optimistic that JZ can put together a decent “opener” type appearance. I don’t think the tigers would have called him up and given him this start if he wasn’t looking good down in Toledo. At least not when they are sort of kind of in a race for a playoff spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol jordan zimmermann

EDIT: I'm still rooting for him to do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

What happened: Sean Casey is slow

 

As a similarly velocitically challenged individual, my grievance is with giving up on the play rather than the lack of foot speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Casimir said:

As a similarly velocitically challenged individual, my grievance is with giving up on the play rather than the lack of foot speed.

I mean, how long is he expected to continue running after Crede caught it? (I know crede didn’t catch it but that is what he thought). I think it’s ok to give up if your brain tells you an out was made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I mean, how long is he expected to continue running after Crede caught it? (I know crede didn’t catch it but that is what he thought). I think it’s ok to give up if your brain tells you an out was made. 

But Crede didn't catch it.

I guess in fairness to him, Crede's body probably blocked his view of the baseball.  But that's why you just start running to 1B after you make contact and you run until the base coach tells you what to do and/or you see what the umpire is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I am stupid. I have decided to be cautiously optimistic that JZ can put together a decent “opener” type appearance. I don’t think the tigers would have called him up and given him this start if he wasn’t looking good down in Toledo. At least not when they are sort of kind of in a race for a playoff spot. 

Disagree.

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I mean, how long is he expected to continue running after Crede caught it? (I know crede didn’t catch it but that is what he thought). I think it’s ok to give up if your brain tells you an out was made. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zimmerman is strictly a fresh arm to eat innings.  I know we're watching the standings, but I don't think the Tigers are.  They just want to get through the season, and hopefully develop some of the younger players along the way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But Crede didn't catch it.

I guess in fairness to him, Crede's body probably blocked his view of the baseball.  But that's why you just start running to 1B after you make contact and you run until the base coach tells you what to do and/or you see what the umpire is doing.

I forgot this part--for some reason, I always thought it was because he was so damn slow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But Crede didn't catch it.

I guess in fairness to him, Crede's body probably blocked his view of the baseball.  But that's why you just start running to 1B after you make contact and you run until the base coach tells you what to do and/or you see what the umpire is doing.

Come on. Maybe in little league. Nobody in MLB does this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But Crede didn't catch it.

I guess in fairness to him, Crede's body probably blocked his view of the baseball.  But that's why you just start running to 1B after you make contact and you run until the base coach tells you what to do and/or you see what the umpire is doing.

I don’t think anyone runs to first watching for umpire signals or base coach instructions. It really isn’t needed in 99.9% of hits. All you have to do is watch the ball to know what it is happening. I’m not going to fault someone for a fluke optical illusion occurrence and you brain tells you “goddammit he caught it.”

If a guy starts lollygagging down to first after an infielder fields a routine grounder and then they end up bobbling the transfer and you could have been safe, by all means criticize the effort. 
 

Sorry, this play and the reaction to it has always been a pet peeve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Detroit Tigers at St. Louis Cardinals

Game 42 & 43

19-22

Detroit Tigers oddity: Aug. 24 2006

What happened: Sean Casey is slow

https://theledgesports.com/2016/12/22/sean-casey-thrown-out-left-field/

That was right when the Tigers' 2006 season looked to be going off the rail. Lost that game 10-0, lost 11 of 16, lead of 10 games 2 1/2 weeks earlier was down to 5 1/2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think the tigers would have called him up and given him this start if he wasn’t looking good

New to the Tigers?

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zimm is a good guy. Not his fault he was given a huge contract at age 30 post TJ. I hope he does ok. And that the Yankees miss the playoffs. I just met with a client whose favorite 2 sports teams are the Yankees and Cowboys. He was born in Detroit and grew up in Atlanta. I have a headache now because inside I am screaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Come on. Maybe in little league. Nobody in MLB does this. 

He got thrown out from LF.  There's no excuse for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think anyone runs to first watching for umpire signals or base coach instructions. It really isn’t needed in 99.9% of hits. All you have to do is watch the ball to know what it is happening. I’m not going to fault someone for a fluke optical illusion occurrence and you brain tells you “goddammit he caught it.”

If a guy starts lollygagging down to first after an infielder fields a routine grounder and then they end up bobbling the transfer and you could have been safe, by all means criticize the effort. 
 

Sorry, this play and the reaction to it has always been a pet peeve. 

I agree, this play has always been a pet peeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that Casey play because even if it didn't happen exactly the way people tell it, the fact remains that he was thrown out at first from left field.  It is an important part of his legacy with the Tigers and crystallizes how slow he really was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

New to the Tigers?

xD

I think Zimmermann is pitching today because they believe he gives them the best chance to win relative to their other options. When guys like Mize and Skubal and paredes and Cameron are all playing, we have gone beyond just using guys because they are under contract and holding down better options because of service time or realistic competitive goals. Neither of those are in play right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I agree, this play has always been a pet peeve.

This place is a pet peeve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Casimir said:

He got thrown out from LF.  There's no excuse for that.

Guys get thrown out from left field frequently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Guys get thrown out from left field frequently. 

Not really.  Not when they are trying to get to first base.  The fact that it was unusual is what makes the play memorable.  It wasn't really his fault.  

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Guys get thrown out from left field frequently. 

False.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, leflore said:

Zimm is a good guy. Not his fault he was given a huge contract at age 30 post TJ. I hope he does ok. And that the Yankees miss the playoffs. I just met with a client whose favorite 2 sports teams are the Yankees and Cowboys. He was born in Detroit and grew up in Atlanta. I have a headache now because inside I am screaming.

that guy is 60% of american sports fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (November/December 2020). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,833
    • Total Posts
      3,030,278
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...