Keepleyland2

9/6 2:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Candy, Reyes and Willi are all who they have been this year then suddenly the Tigers young talent doesn't look so bad.  Them 3 with Tork, Greene and hopefully FA signing or two would make for a pretty good lineup.   

3784C87E-EC51-47EC-8058-23EDBB7806BC.gif.f073d22350db8c4b099fcb3f84c38277.gif

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Candy, Reyes and Willi are all who they have been this year then suddenly the Tigers young talent doesn't look so bad.  Them 3 with Tork, Greene and hopefully FA signing or two would make for a pretty good lineup.   

They currently are average in the AL in R/G.

Add some more talent and you have a good offense.

Tigers o/u to start the year was 20.5, they're at 18 wins now with 22 remaining(assuming they play the full 60).  I think it's a safe bet that they are going to blow by that.  

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

They are still not a good, or playoff team, but are much more likable than the last 3-4 seasons.  I still think we have a young talent gap to the White Sox, but things are looking up.  I’ve always liked Candy, it’s good to see he is starting to live up to his potential.  If he’s a .270/.800 OPS, good fielding 3B, we will be set there for awhile.

I have always liked him too.  He started off well and that got injured and struggled for quite some time coming back.  He has made nice recovery this year.  I hope there is a way to get him back on third base because he is also a good defensive 3B and his bat will be more valuable over there.  Can Paredes succeed as a second baseman?

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah, if these guys are the real deal, we should have a serious div contender by 2022 imo....man I hope so.

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have always liked him too.  He started off well and that got injured and struggled for quite some time coming back.  He has made nice recovery this year.  I hope there is a way to get him back on third base because he is also a good defensive 3B and his bat will be more valuable over there.  Can Paredes succeed as a second baseman?

Finding a spot for Paredes is both essential and tricky.  Same with Willi if he can’t handle SS defensively.  Really don’t like the idea of putting either in the OF. And what if Clemens and Cruz live up to their potential?  We should be so lucky to have this problem.

Ozuna is somebody I would like the Tigers to take a look at this offseason.   Jones, Reyes and him would make a pretty solid OF offensively and defensively.   

I also would be open to giving Schoop an extension.   It's a dream and best case scenario but if all these things were to happen our lineup next year could look something like this.

Reyes CF/LF

Schoop 2b

Miggy DH

Tork 1B

Ozuna RF

Candy 3B

Willi SS

Rogers/Greiner C

Jacoby CF/LF

If Tork isn't ready then you can have Candy at 1B and Paredes at 3B.   Either way IF the 3 of Reyes, Candy and Willi are indeed legit then this would be a pretty damn good lineup.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I agree. And iirc, Candy was also experimenting with launch angle last year, which seems to screw up some player's swings. I don't know his rate, but Candy seems to barrel up the ball plenty, and almost always has quality at bats.

59 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ozuna is somebody I would like the Tigers to take a look at this offseason.   Jones, Reyes and him would make a pretty solid OF offensively and defensively.   

I also would be open to giving Schoop an extension.   It's a dream and best case scenario but if all these things were to happen our lineup next year could look something like this.

Reyes CF/LF

Schoop 2b

Miggy DH

Tork 1B

Ozuna RF

Candy 3B

Willi SS

Rogers/Greiner C

Jacoby CF/LF

If Tork isn't ready then you can have Candy at 1B and Paredes at 3B.   Either way IF the 3 of Reyes, Candy and Willi are indeed legit then this would be a pretty damn good lineup.  

As long as Stewart is not in that mix, i am good.  I like the idea of signing Schoop on a 2 year deal 

I don't see Reyes as our leadoff man--ultimately, his lack of walks will catch up.  Very good #7 hitter,  and doesn't block Cameron, Hill or other young outfield prospects.

I'd avoid buying into Schoop--enjoy this season from him, but I'd keep that spot open for Willi or Paredes next season.  I really don't want Candy at 1B--he's wasted there.  Our best defensive 3B should be playing there.

I like the idea of dipping into free agency to get a SS and/or OF, though--if Castro can't play SS defensively, we don't have anyone in the organization to that play that position (maybe Workman in a few seasons).  I like Ozuna, but don't know who else is out there in free agency.  Lots of good/great SS whose contracts are coming up this offseason and next--some will hit free agency and we should pounce on one.

Here is the depth chart for 2022 moving forward:

C Dingler, Rogers, Greiner (I'd like to sign Romine for next season)

1B Torkelson (also resign Cron for 2021)

2B Paredes, W. Castro, Clemens, T. Cruz

SS Free Agent, W. Castro, Alcantara, Workman

3B Candelario, Paredes, Quintana, Workman

LF Free Agent, Stewart, Reyes, Packard, D. Cabrera

CF J. Jones, Cameron, Hill, Reyes

RF Reyes, R. Greene, D. Cabrera, Cameron

Also, once Miggy achieves his milestones (3,000 hits, 500 HR's), the Tigers have to convince him to enter into a front office/development role to fulfill the balance of his contract.  Still gets his money, but leaves with some dignity intact.  And finishes his career as a Tiger.

SP Mize, Skubal, Manning, Faedo, Turnbull, Boyd, Wentz, Fulmer, Norris

RP Garcia, Funkhouser, Burrows, Hess, Soto, Cisnero, Blackwood, Jiminez, that rat ******* Logan Shore, etc...

Interesting players that won't be in the mix for 2022, but perhaps shortly after, include Wenzeel Perez, Parker Meadows and Colt Keith

I can’t see Miggy as a $30 million paperweight in an office. I think I’d want to know Keith Law’s take on this first.

I was listening to MLB radio a bit this morning.  It was mentioned that due to the lack of revenues from tickets and concessions, MLB owners will use that (and we can argue the degree to what the losses really are) to really saturate the offerings with many more 1 year deals and 1 year plus an option/vesting year deals for a few years.  They didn't mention the CBA, so I can understand their theory about that for this upcoming offseason, but the next offseason after the CBA expires, oh boy, who knows?

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ozuna is somebody I would like the Tigers to take a look at this offseason.   

If Tork isn't ready then you can have Candy at 1B and Paredes at 3B.   

I wouldn’t touch Ozuna and Tork will be ready.

27 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I wouldn’t touch Ozuna and Tork will be ready.

Why wouldn't you touch Ozuna?  I think he would be perfect for the team.  He'll only be 30 in November so he should have a few more good years in him, he plays a good enough OF and he brings a consistent bat that can hit for power.  He's basically Castellanos except with better defense and a longer track record of power.   If he requires a deal like Upton, then I agree I wouldn't touch him but if he could be had for 5 years or less I would be all over it.   

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

They are still not a good, or playoff team, but are much more likable than the last 3-4 seasons.  I still think we have a young talent gap to the White Sox, but things are looking up.  I’ve always liked Candy, it’s good to see he is starting to live up to his potential.  If he’s a .270/.800 OPS, good fielding 3B, we will be set there for awhile.

Don't blow it, Kage

Fyi, word out of Toledo is that Tork has looked really good at 3B. Maybe Candy can become a Tony Phillips (RIP, one of my favorite post '84 Tigers) type of guy who can play multiple positions - 3b, 1b and occasionally OF in a pinch.

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Why wouldn't you touch Ozuna?

I thought I remember hearing previously that he had a bit of a poor clubhouse and/or off field reputation, but I could be wrong about that.

Next season will be his age 30 season.  He's been an above average hitter with a couple of spike seasons.  Offer him a 1 or 2 year deal, that's fine.  But I'm not sure I'd offer him much more than that.

8 hours ago, leflore said:

Fyi, word out of Toledo is that Tork has looked really good at 3B. Maybe Candy can become a Tony Phillips (RIP, one of my favorite post '84 Tigers) type of guy who can play multiple positions - 3b, 1b and occasionally OF in a pinch.

It doesn't seem to me that Candelario would have the foot speed / range to handle the OF in Detroit.  I would really like to avoid square pegging immobile players into the round holes of defensive need with that size of an OF.  They have Stewart out there right now, but I think we can all agree he's out there by need to stick someone out there and by hope that his bat clicks at some point.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It doesn't seem to me that Candelario would have the foot speed / range to handle the OF in Detroit.  I would really like to avoid square pegging immobile players into the round holes of defensive need with that size of an OF.  They have Stewart out there right now, but I think we can all agree he's out there by need to stick someone out there and by hope that his bat clicks at some point.

I did think it was interesting they decided to 'upgrade' Tork to 3b instead of the OF when they seem to have a lot of IF candidates and not many solid OFs. But OTOH, moving a guy to his highest possible value added position still makes good sense. Roster collisions have a way of getting resolved by themselves/or not. Trying to guess what your team is going to look like position by position in 2 or 3 years is a fool's errand, Look at the fiasco with Castellanos. I guess I would rather let a guy try to play up to the position where he is most valuable and deal with roster issues once he actually gets to the majors. Plus, if a guy has proved his glove at a tougher position, it's usually not as hard to move him to an easier one if he is blocked than vice versa.

19 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mize's velo has been down so far today.  Not sure if it's by design or not but his FB has only been a 91-93 thus far vs. mid 90s in his previous starts.  

so he did eventually toss a few 4 seamers up to 96. I suppose adding and subtracting from a 4 seamer can be a good thing, JV throws his 4 seamer with a lot of pitch to pitch variation. Of course the higher your top end the more effective that will be.

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Why wouldn't you touch Ozuna?  

To begin with, I believe he’d want a contract he couldn’t live up to. I have a good friend that follows the the Cardinals religiously. He’s a native of St. Louis. He convinced me that Ozuna is a less than desirable defensive player. I do remember the one play he totally destroyed in left field with the Cardinals that made Delmon Young look like a gold glove guy. 

I’d prefer the org look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

To begin with, I believe he’d want a contract he couldn’t live up to. I have a good friend that follows the the Cardinals religiously. He’s a native of St. Louis. He convinced me that Ozuna is a less than desirable defensive player. I do remember the one play he totally destroyed in left field with the Cardinals that made Delmon Young look like a gold glove guy. 

Fair enough, I guess the fact that he only could get a 1 year deal from ATL despite being pretty productive last year might indicate that he has some problems that scares teams away.  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Maybe the glove was the issue in the past that I am trying to recall rather than personality.