Keepleyland2

9/6 2:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

It would seem that getting three outs shouldn’t be that hard but apparently it’s more like being able to pee glass without flinching. The technical, reflexive side of this game is the dominant factor — without it you might as well just be somebody tapping things out on a keyboard like me — but you can never underestimate the mental side, the ability to focus and to harness that technique and those reflexes in a living situation at point of use. This is apparently a rare ability. It requires an erudite simplicity. It’s like you have to be Winnie the Pooh with Einstein whispering in your ear.

That said (:wink:), time for Mize to get his act together. He needs to lower his reliance on the split, aim for 60% FB, 20% slider, 20 split. He need to work on getting most of his outs based on FB command. The trick pitch has to remain unexpected to maintain best effect.

Gardy should choose between Soto and Cisnero to close and live with it. They have the best K/9. I would keep trying Cisnero. High K rate and does not seem prone to the long ball. JJ seems like a head case watching him and Anderson in the dugout. Maybe try Garcia but his k/9 is so so and he walks almost as many as he K's but he has done it in AAA although I am not sure how much that means. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That said (:wink:), time for Mize to get his act together. He needs to lower his reliance on the split, aim for 60% FB, 20% slider, 20 split. He need to work on getting most of his outs based on FB command. The trick pitch has to remain unexpected to maintain best effect.

I think I would defer to Mize and Anderson on the appropriate pitch mix for him. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I think I would defer to Mize and Anderson on the appropriate pitch mix for him. 

You could, you may have any other opinion of your own to share.

Funny enough, to hear Anderson's comments, it's not clear he and Mize are fully on the same page.  One might reasonable infer that they would be happy to see him try to depend on the split less.

1 hour ago, socaltiger said:

Gardy should choose between Soto and Cisnero to close and live with it. They have the best K/9. I would keep trying Cisnero. High K rate and does not seem prone to the long ball. JJ seems like a head case watching him and Anderson in the dugout. Maybe try Garcia but his k/9 is so so and he walks almost as many as he K's but he has done it in AAA although I am not sure how much that means. 

I like Soto, but he is 25 and still only has 75 ML innings. He may still have enough work to do refining his command that you might want to leave him in a non-closing role. Cisnero of course has a long history of poor command that somehow he managed to suddenly fix, so you question whether he is for real or could slide back at any time as well. . Garcia is still only about 50 IP away from his TJ. So basically any one of these guy might be the answer at some point, but there are clouds around all of them yet.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I would too, although the message board is more fun when we don't defer the experts 100%.  What would Detroit baseball social media be like if we couldn't question Randy Smith and Brad Ausmus?

Nice economical first inning for Mize. If he could keep this up for nine innings it would be a historic 81-pitch perfect game with no walks or strikeouts. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Why on Earth wouldn't Bonafacio go back and touch home just to be on the safe side?   

Confidence!

Greiner can't hit, I think that's been well established so I'd rather have Jake up here and see what he can do.  

Mize's velo has been down so far today.  Not sure if it's by design or not but his FB has only been a 91-93 thus far vs. mid 90s in his previous starts.  

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mize's velo has been down so far today.  Not sure if it's by design or not but his FB has only been a 91-93 thus far vs. mid 90s in his previous starts.  

It’s either dead arm syndrome or too much guitar hero in Toledo. 

Hey who says that we didn't get anything for JD?  Alcantara with a HR in his first MLB at bat!  

Looks like that J.D. Martinez trade is paying off after all.

Just now, TigerNation said:

In his first major league at bat, Alcantara hit his 10th professional home run.

Only 9 HR in 600+ MiLB games. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Only 9 HR in 600+ MiLB games. 

He's been in the minors since 2013. 2017 and 2019 were the only multi-HR years he had.

Mize like Skubal have had some difficulty putting guys away thus far.   Kinda reminds me of Verlander back in the day where he woudl give up a million foul tips before finally putting them away.