Keepleyland2

9/2 @7:40 Detroit Tigers at Milwaukee Brewers

Theyre sending Turnbull back out there? I have a bad feeling about this. this has an Ausmus sort of feeling to it

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He says “dusted” a lot for when a tigers pitcher gets a strikeout. I don’t think I can remember ever hearing that before. 

I seem to remember hearing that somewhere... maybe the 70's?

"Dusted". "Blown away". Or Harwell's favorite: "Stood there like the house by the road."

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Shep doesn't know how many outs there were.

I think he would have been better off admitting his mistaking rather than continuing on like nothing ever happened.  

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Boomer generation term. I didn't think he was quite that old. Maybe he got it from older sibs?

I am a boomer have never used that term. It sounds like the kind of thing that Dizzy Dean and pee wee Reese would’ve said on the game of the week in 1962. 

I think Castro would have a decent shot of turning himself into a decent corner outfielder if they went that route.  This is not a Castellanos situation where a guy just doesn't have that much athleticism.  To even play shortstop like he is, you have to be a decent athlete.  Jacoby was successful doing it; I think Castro could be as well.  I'd prefer they go that route over second base.  

Knowing the Tigers though, they will probably be stubborn and continue to try and get away with him at shortstop.  

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Boomer generation term. I didn't think he was quite that old. Maybe he got it from older sibs?

I’ll take your word for it I guess. I couldn’t find anything on google before making my post. 

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I am a boomer have never used that term. It sounds like the kind of thing that Dizzy Dean and pee wee Reese would’ve said on the game of the week in 1962. 

I remember it mostly in connection with street racing. Plymouth even sold a sort of an econo-car that had muscle options in the 70's that they called a "Duster"

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

I remember it mostly in connection with street racing. 

So, not baseball?

In old person talk when I was a kid you’d hear the term “second-sacker” for second baseman, women were called “broads,” a suitcase was called a “grip,” and a refrigerator was called an “icebox.” 

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I remember it mostly in connection with street racing. 

Oh maybe that's where I remember that from...

3 minutes ago, Hart said:

Knowing the Tigers though, they will probably be stubborn and continue to try and get away with him at shortstop.  

You know, if the Tigers had drafted Yelich they would’ve tried to shorten his swing and turn him into a spray hitter. He’d be out of baseball and working at Kroger right now. 

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

In old person talk when I was a kid you’d hear the term “second-sacker” for second baseman, women were called “broads,” a suitcase was called a “grip,” and a refrigerator was called an “icebox.” 

At least "ice-box" was fair use for my Grandmother's generation. It was the only thing she ever called a fridge until she passed at 93.

A pitch, often a brush-back, thrown so far inside that the batter drops to the ground ("hits the dust") to avoid it. Somewhat contradictorily, on the same play the pitcher may be said to have "dusted off" the batter.
image.png.d47e75f9d60989c74b80d41b32b2b16e.png
Wikipedia › wiki › Glossary_of_bas...

3 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I don't like Schreiber.

This one is on Gardy.  Pretty clear Turnbull was struggling and probably have been given the hook earlier.  And using Schreiber in this situation?  I forgot he was on the team.  I would have rather seen Jiminez in that situation.

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:
A pitch, often a brush-back, thrown so far inside that the batter drops to the ground ("hits the dust") to avoid it. Somewhat contradictorily, on the same play the pitcher may be said to have "dusted off" the batter.

this is what I was trying to think of, but I wasn't sure I wasn't imagining it.

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’ll take your word for it I guess. I couldn’t find anything on google before making my post. 

No Obligation disclaimer: The supplying Party shall be under no further obligation or liability in respect of the same and no warranty condition or representation of any kind is made, given or to be implied in any case as to the sufficiency accuracy or fitness for purpose of such information or materials.

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

So, not baseball?

The only time I've heard the term in baseball is when a pitcher throws inside to back a hitter off the plate.  

Edit: Bert beat me to it. 

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Oh... THAT's it. I haven't heard that in a long time...