Keepleyland2

9/1 @7:40 p.m. Detroit Tigers at Milwaukee Brewers

8 hours ago, jbhappy said:

ugh. Jones needs some serious glove armor.

Its becoming an annual rite of passage, isn't it?  Jones gets injured on an HBP.  Usually the hand, once in a while the jaw.  I feel bad for the kid.

image.png.fec4b00500732c97e6754f488aee5a99.png

Is this the definition of effectively wild?  Only 59% strikes, but also 9 H & 5 BB to 14 SO?  Only 1 run, and that off of a HR.

Or probably the product of a poor opposing lineup?

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I still stand by it.  However, the injury to JaCoby presents a bit of a wrinkle.

Instead of grabbing an OF off the trash heap, I’d move Reyes to CF, platoon Stewart and Demeritte in LF and move Niko to RF, if they are going to go with the current cast and not dip into Toledo.  The silver lining is you play Castro and Paredes every day at SS and 3B, which they should be doing anyway.

This sounds right to me.  We will lose more on defense than offense because it seems like one of Paredes and Castro were sitting anyways.  Now,  they really need to both be out there.

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I still stand by it.  However, the injury to JaCoby presents a bit of a wrinkle.

Instead of grabbing an OF off the trash heap, I’d move Reyes to CF, platoon Stewart and Demeritte in LF and move Niko to RF, if they are going to go with the current cast and not dip into Toledo.  The silver lining is you play Castro and Paredes every day at SS and 3B, which they should be doing anyway.

I like this.

Bring up Hill or Cameron for a late inning defensive replacement for now.

What do you do here? 

You told Goodrum that he's the Shortstop and to his credit, he's been nearly flawless there this year, but you lost a great CF and you want to get both Willi Castro and E-Sock in the lineup.    Do you experiment with Willi Castro in the outfield or put Wlli at SS and move Goodrum to the OF, where he's a decent player.    To be honest, Willi Castro defensively is not a very good SS.       I would say leave Goodrum at SS and let Willi play in RF.   They have to figure out where Candy, Tork & E-Sock are going to play.   Could E-Sock be a future corner OF?   

Isn't it good to care this much about stupid, trivial baseball stuff like this on September 2nd?    

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What do you do here? 

You told Goodrum that he's the Shortstop and to his credit, he's been nearly flawless there this year, but you lost a great CF and you want to get both Willi Castro and E-Sock in the lineup.    Do you experiment with Willi Castro in the outfield or put Wlli at SS and move Goodrum to the OF, where he's a decent player.    To be honest, Willi Castro defensively is not a very good SS.       I would say leave Goodrum at SS and let Willi play in RF.   They have to figure out where Candy, Tork & E-Sock are going to play.   Could E-Sock be a future corner OF?   

Isn't it good to care this much about stupid, trivial baseball stuff like this on September 2nd?    

I think you go to Goodrum and just have a candid chat with him about the current situation.  There are two kids that can play the infield and are hitting pretty well with zero OF experience.  Goodrum has OF experience and pop in his bat (although the contact hasn't been there lately).  Goodrum retains his spot in the everyday batting lineup, but needs a different glove for now. 

And like all things 2020, its a fluid situation.  If things change, if Castro or Paredes fade in the field and/or at the plate, if offense and defense suddenly takes off for both Stewart and Demeritte, then maybe Goodrum ends up in the IF again.

But this is just based on the stuff that we can see.  Behind the scenes, you've got personalities at play, maybe Castro has looked really good in the OF, who knows what else.

If we care about the outcome of this season (I'm torn), you shouldn't be putting young guys, who are still learning to hit at the major league level, in new defensive positions, especially those that are completely foreign to them (Castro and Paredes in the OF).

Also, **** Goodrum.  He's a utility guy (and a very versatile one), that is K'ing at about 40% of the time.  I want him and JaCoby Jones on my bench when we are a playoff team again, because they are borderline starters and above average utility guys.

Castro goes to SS (though he might be our 2B of the future, but currently blocked).  Put Goodrum in the OF mix, though his bat really doesn't justify being in the lineup every day.  

5-man rotation in the OF:  LF (Stewart/Bonifacio), CF (Reyes/Hill) and RF (Goodrum/Reyes)

I don't love that we are wasting AB's on Bonifacio, but he probably works in a platoon situation.  I also don't love Reyes, but can't argue with the results we're seeing.  I just don't think it's sustainable, but we should ride it out as he's not blocking anyone.

Another interesting thing about Hill--I saw on the Tweeter that Miggy's OBP in late innings (7-9) is .357, which makes Hill a nice pinch runner for the big fella, when Derek isn't in the lineup.  I think Hill becomes our fastest guy and best defensive outfielder, which means he could also spell Stewart in LF in the later innings.  I"m excited to see him--I don't expect much from his bat, but he'll help in other ways.

In any event, you put your best team on the field, and a guy like Niko isn't in a position to make demands.

Have the chat, be friendly and professional, let him know it isn't long term, but you don't yield to accommodate Goodrum.

I turned it on as the 8th was ending and got to see the joker they put out there to throw BP, only one dinger off that hoser...

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In any event, you put your best team on the field, and a guy like Niko isn't in a position to make demands.

Have the chat, be friendly and professional, let him know it isn't long term, but you don't yield to accommodate Goodrum.

I would think Goodrum would be fine with it.  But, I agree, he isn't in a position to call his position on the field or the lineup.

Gardenhire seemed adamant about Goodrum as the SS in spring training (if memory serves me correctly).  So, yes, the professional conversation of "here is where we were, here is where we are, here is what we think can get us to where we hope to go now" is probably better than just posting the change on a lineup card.

Now, when Zimmermann comes back, its "get our glove and head out to the bullpen, we'll call you if all **** breaks loose".

Goodrum, by most measures on FG, is the second best defensive SS this year (he and Trevor Story are 1, 2)

Detroit relievers have 3rd highest groundball rate; so maybe Goodrum is a regular defensive replacement for Willi at SS.

The Tigers shift a lot so Willi and ESock need to get up to speed now.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In all seriousness, are the Tigers going to be the best team in Detroit this season?

Likely. Better than the Wings. Better or as good as the Pistons. We'll see about the Lions. But not sure how meaningful. It's like saying I'm the best looking guy on this board. Probably true, but low bar.

Goodrum has been streaky every year. I think he'll get hot and approach average mlb player

I would think if Gardy thinks willi is ready then he'll get more reps. Building for the future and trying your best to win now aren't mutually exclusive

Is everybody calling Paredes “e-sock”? I don’t like it.