Keepleyland2

8/30 @1:10 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

17 minutes ago, Hart said:

And to be honest, this is where Cabrera is going to be an issue.  If he hits like he has been the last week, it's no big deal.  If he reverts back to what he was for most of the month of August, or something in between, then he ties up the DH spot with minimal production in valuable at bats that could be going to another hitter.  That is going to be the big issue for the Tigers the next few years.  

I know it's a short season but if I were Gardenhire I would still be giving him every 10th day or so off and telling him to not even come to the ball park - no work out, no BP, no bugger all.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

We should be so lucky as to have the Tigers come up with enough bats for Cabrera to block one.

Team OPS is mid pack in the league, BA is above average. Considering how terrible Goodrum and Stewart have been the rest of team is hitting better then I expected. Niko does take a walk and hit a few dingers so his OPS is still holding above 700, but Stewart is in black hole territory at 555.

I’ve been one of Stewart’s biggest advocates, but I agree it’s time to move on.  His bat really needs to be a plus to offset his D, but that doesn’t look likely.  He’s really not blocking anyone, if they don’t think Daz is ready.  However, Derek Hill could put at least his offensive numbers, with plus speed and elite D.

Cabrera is not a big problem for anyone. He is going to get his money no matter what...I guess they could reach some kind of deferral plan at some point. But they aren't wriggling their way out of the contract.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I go back an forth on Shep. I'll listen to a game where I think he does OK, then the next day I think he's terrible. Probably it's because he is working with Morris recently and he is definitely terrible with Morris, not nearly as bad with Petry or Gibson. 

Been said before but a lot of Mario's problem was Rod (and probably vice versa). On the few occasions he worked with someone else the broadcast was always better. There was apparently  just too much bad water between Mario and Rod for it not to affect their work.

But right now, even up I would take Mario back over Shep given that he would be not be working with Rod.

Mario was a textbook broadcaster, he brought no personality to the booth. Too robotic, the best announcers love the game and their job and that comes through. Mario was like a C level national broadcaster announcing every one of our games.

5 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Mario was a textbook broadcaster, he brought no personality to the booth. Too robotic, the best announcers love the game and their job and that comes through. Mario was like a C level national broadcaster announcing every one of our games.

So much of what he said was so forced and robotic. He was trying too hard to be a "professional" broadcaster instead of just calling the game in a natural way. He would joke around quite a bit and didn't say as many dumb things as Shep, but his act was getting pretty old. It was time for change. 

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

So much of what he said was so forced and robotic. He was trying too hard to be a "professional" broadcaster instead of just calling the game in a natural way. He would joke around quite a bit and didn't say as many dumb things as Shep, but his act was getting pretty old. It was time for change. 

when he worked with Gibson, Kirk would force him to be himself more. It was always a big difference.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

when he worked with Gibson, Kirk would force him to be himself more. It was always a big difference.

Completely agree with this. 

I listen to Dan twice as often as I see Shep, but the thing I can’t stand most about Shep is his home run calls. He always seem to be borrowing someone’s, doesn’t sound natural. See ya!

In these last 10 games I thought they would go to 2-8 And instead they did almost the reverse 7-2. This may be as good as it gets for the rest of the season. I think Sherwood Anderson said something like “eat your ice cream before it melts” and we should probably do that. It really is nice to see these wins in tight games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

“eat your ice cream before it melts” 

This made me smile this morning and applies not just to the Tigers, thanks Bert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I bet Twins fans are waking up pissed.

That warms my heart.

As much as the ice cream?

The Twins did not play the game the right way this weekend but the Tigers did.

So let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new Tigers team, tempered by defeat, disciplined by a hard and bitter rebuild, proud of their ancient heritage, and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those achievements to which this club has always been committed, and to which we are all committed today at home and around the world.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:30 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'll take a vanilla C over an enthusiastic E everyday of the week.

The only time Shep brings enthusiasm is when somebody hits a routine flyball.

22 hours ago, TigerNation said:

The only time Shep brings enthusiasm is when somebody hits a routine flyball.

And when someone is a double, triple and HR away from the cycle