Keepleyland2

8/27 @7:10 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I am wondering if people have discovered that there are other things to do in life than watching sports?  For instance, the hiking trails and bike paths have been flooded with people this year and it's not letting up.  I see a lot more people outside.  I think it's possible, sports might lose some spectators.  I am not saying they will, just that I don't think it's a given they all come back.  Avid fans like us will be back, but there are lot of people who watch sports just because it's the thing to do.  They might turn to other things.   The Covid experience has been a really huge deal which I think could change the lifestyles of some percentage of people.  I also don't think normalcy is going to return so quickly. Some will get back to it sooner than others.  There is not going to a moment of celebration where everybody feels good.  It is going to be a different timeline for everyone.     

honestly, ive done so many other things that i dont really watch much sports anymore.  i'll watch baseball sometimes if nothing else is on, but i havent really watched a whole lot.

i would miss the nfl because of fantasy.  the rest i dont care about.  i'll read a book.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

honestly, ive done so many other things that i dont really watch much sports anymore.  i'll watch baseball sometimes if nothing else is on, but i havent really watched a whole lot.

i would miss the nfl because of fantasy.  the rest i dont care about.  i'll read a book.

I don't either.  All I watch is baseball now and I can't sit down for a lot 3 1/2 hour games anymore.  I will have it in the background as I do something else.  I like listening on the radio.  I still look at stats and follow story lines.  

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I am wondering if people have discovered that there are other things to do in life than watching sports?  For instance, the hiking trails and bike paths have been flooded with people this year and it's not letting up.  I see a lot more people outside.  I think it's possible, sports might lose some spectators.  I am not saying they will, just that I don't think it's a given they all come back.  Avid fans like us will be back, but there are lot of people who watch sports just because it's the thing to do.  They might turn to other things.   The Covid experience has been a really huge deal which I think could change the lifestyles of some percentage of people.  I also don't think normalcy is going to return so quickly. Some will get back to it sooner than others.  There is not going to a moment of celebration where everybody feels good.  It is going to be a different timeline for everyone.     

I think its just habits. In the case your describing, people are found something new and it its interesting now, but if things get back into normal they will fall into habits that bring comfort or they are used to, in this case watching baseball. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

In the last few years, with the Tigers being really bad, I've DVRed games and fast forwarded thru most of them.  I watch a 3 1/2 hour game in 1/2 hour or so. I watch more if there's something cool happening, like a Tiger win. (Rare) 😁😁

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Must. Have. Football.

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

if the tigers voted to play and the twins decide not to play, that should be a forfeit and a win for the tigers.

It'd be a pretty big PR blunder for any team to accept a forfeit right now. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In my day you did every underhanded thing possible to secure a win

We've heard about you pissing on the slip and slide. 

4 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Every team that chooses not to play should forfeit.  If both teams refuse to play, both forfeit.  And, of course, the players should lose a game's pay for every game they sit out.  Easy squeezy, and it would have the salutary effect of  making the execrable NBA season and the endless babbling about it on the radio  end sooner.

BASEBALL IS VEWRY SERIOUS AND THE PROTESTS ARE STUPID GO TRUMP 2020!!!

7 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I support their decision not to play. 

Most non-racists do. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yoda said:

It'd be a pretty big PR blunder for any team to accept a forfeit right now. 

do it Al!  DO IT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Yup. There's a park near me on a 300+ ft hill where you can see all of Long Beach as well as downtown LA. I used to go up there and there'd be maybe 10 people. Now there's probably 50 people at any given time after 5pm. I love it and hate it at the same time. 

41 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Yup. There's a park near me on a 300+ ft hill where you can see all of Long Beach as well as downtown LA. I used to go up there and there'd be maybe 10 people. Now there's probably 50 people at any given time after 5pm. I love it and hate it at the same time. 

Signal Hill? I can remember my BIL taking us there and not being able to find anywhere to park! (we did make it eventually and walked down and up the trail).

44 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Signal Hill? I can remember my BIL taking us there and not being able to find anywhere to park! (we did make it eventually and walked down and up the trail).

Yup. On the weekends was usually busy but now weeknights look like weekends, and weekends are even worse. 

14 hours ago, Yoda said:

Most non-racists do. 

Sure.  If you don't embrace every liberal idiocy, much less any of them, you get called a racist.

Given that absurd choice, I'll take the latter, which means pretty much nothing to me, both because the insult is unwarranted and  because  I regard anyone who indiscriminately uses it as an a******.  

20 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Sure.  If you don't embrace every liberal idiocy, much less any of them, you get called a racist.

Given that absurd choice, I'll take the latter, which means pretty much nothing to me, both because the insult is unwarranted and  because  I regard anyone who indiscriminately uses it as an a******.  

Anyone who uses the term "liberal idiocy" is speaking with a closed mind.

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Wonderful contribution. If the shoe fits, take it personal. By all means. 

I think intolerance towards a peaceful protest makes someone an a******, so we're in the same boat. I'd rather be guilty of calling a spade a spade. 

30 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Wonderful contribution. If the shoe fits, take it personal. By all means. 

I think intolerance towards a peaceful protest makes someone an a******, so we're in the same boat. I'd rather be guilty of calling a spade a spade. 

Racist

• Like 1

The world doesn't deserve Curtis Granderson. 

He should be a politician. 

6 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I was thinking the same thing but can you imagine him trying to run a negative campaign? 😃😃

I can’t say I missed baseball at all the last several months. I’ve watched hundreds of hours of great documentaries on science, art, history, you name it, re-watched all my favorite movies,  read Moby Dick, read over 1000 pages of dense philosophy and theology, and rediscovered the joy of going on long walks with good friends and having great conversations.

I’ve matured five years spiritually and intellectually in only five months. Now that baseball is back, it’s like getting drawn back into a relationship with a bad girlfriend. 

My main interest in the game is simply because of the people on this site. If I couldn’t enjoy these games with all the rest of you I don’t think I would pay any attention to it anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

No, he shouldn't be.  He deserves better than that.  

• Like 1