Keepleyland2

8/27 @7:10 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In my day you did every underhanded thing possible to secure a win

Did that include using the genital cuff?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They lack the will to win.

that, and it's a chance to skip Boyd in the rotation.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Not smart.  Got to get those wins any way you can.  One forfeit could be the difference between making the playoffs and playing golf.  

Agreed. Astros would have showed up on the field ready to play. 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

if the tigers voted to play and the twins decide not to play, that should be a forfeit and a win for the tigers.

Every team that chooses not to play should forfeit.  If both teams refuse to play, both forfeit.  And, of course, the players should lose a game's pay for every game they sit out.  Easy squeezy, and it would have the salutary effect of  making the execrable NBA season and the endless babbling about it on the radio  end sooner.

Let the character assassination of athletes commence.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I bet it would be really easy to get the union to agree with that

I seriously doubt that the CBAs give players the right to refuse to play, much less to do so without adverse consequences.  

Most union contracts are based upon the members actually, you know, doing their jobs, at least to some minimal union-fied degree.

I’m glad the teams did this. Go on Facebook or a news site — because I did a while back and noticed this — and there will most likely be a half dozen comments saying the same thing “MLB stance on BLM means I’m done with MLB.” Yeah right. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Ivan. No one, not even a casual fan, is going to never watch MLB again because of this issue. If they’re not bots they’re keyboard warriors acting out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

When it rains it pours.  Hopefully its more for precautionary purposes and its nothing too severe. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Tigers have an inning limit on both Mize and Skubal. But I'm more impressed with Paredes.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In my day you did every underhanded thing possible to secure a win

Being serious, the Yankees probably would.

35 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I seriously doubt that the CBAs give players the right to refuse to play, much less to do so without adverse consequences.  

Most union contracts are based upon the members actually, you know, doing their jobs, at least to some minimal union-fied degree.

It's not your typical union.  

20 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m glad the teams did this. Go on Facebook or a news site — because I did a while back and noticed this — and there will most likely be a half dozen comments saying the same thing “MLB stance on BLM means I’m done with MLB.” Yeah right. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Ivan. No one, not even a casual fan, is going to never watch MLB again because of this issue. If they’re not bots they’re keyboard warriors acting out. 

Or just not real fans. Maybe members of that racist cult?

Well, I'm not glad that the teams did this, but you're right that I am not going to stop watching baseball as a result.  I've never understood the claim that the 1994 strike drove fans away from the game for good.  To me, that would be like going to your favorite restaurant, finding out that it was out of your favorite dish that one night, and responding by deciding to never go there again.  Or if your spouse or significant other says "Not tonight, I have a headache" one time, resolving to never have sex with him or her again.  There was no World Series in 1994, but when baseball returned in 1995, I was more than ready to plunge back into it.    

Let the faux solidarity with athletes commence!

Next year, if MLB is able to return to normal scheduling and the like, it will be interesting to see what attendance numbers look like. After the 1994 season ended like it did I really lost interest for a couple of years. In some regard, I have never been the fan I was prior to 1994. I was probably too much about the game at the time. We had literally done a road trip to Tiger Stadium in 1991, Fenway in 1992, and Camden Yards in 1993, all to see the Tigers. 

This season starts with the hangover of the Houston WS fiasco that changed the attitude of a lot of fans, myself included. Then the public circus of owners vs players as to how and when a season would be played. Now teams are voting to not play. This season has been a mess from day one.

As a fan, I am losing interest in MLB. It’s not a conscious effort at all. It’s a culmination of a lot of things. I’ve never lived in a city with a MLB franchise so maybe I don’t have that local connection to override all the other distractions. This year has been even worse with the absence of MiLB. The attitude of owners toward minor league franchises has been another set back for my interest in the MLB game. Tough summer so far. 

i think if baseball resumes normally next year people will flock to it because it will be a return to normality and people are dying for that.

the nba?  im not so sure.  baseball has the outside and the summer and people love that.

29 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Well, I'm not glad that the teams did this, but you're right that I am not going to stop watching baseball as a result.  I've never understood the claim that the 1994 strike drove fans away from the game for good.  To me, that would be like going to your favorite restaurant, finding out that it was out of your favorite dish that one night, and responding by deciding to never go there again.  Or if your spouse or significant other says "Not tonight, I have a headache" one time, resolving to never have sex with him or her again.  There was no World Series in 1994, but when baseball returned in 1995, I was more than ready to plunge back into it.    

Sosa and McGwire home run race brought back a lot of interest. 

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Every team that chooses not to play should forfeit.  If both teams refuse to play, both forfeit.  And, of course, the players should lose a game's pay for every game they sit out.  Easy squeezy, and it would have the salutary effect of  making the execrable NBA season and the endless babbling about it on the radio  end sooner.

I read the a huge group of players are donating Thursday's and Friday's salary to some charity. I don't really know the details. Friday, MLB celebrates Jackie Robinson Day.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think if baseball resumes normally next year people will flock to it because it will be a return to normality and people are dying for that.

I think they set new attendance records - if Biden can fix this

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Next year, if MLB is able to return to normal scheduling and the like, it will be interesting to see what attendance numbers look like. After the 1994 season ended like it did I really lost interest for a couple of years. In some regard, I have never been the fan I was prior to 1994. I was probably too much about the game at the time. We had literally done a road trip to Tiger Stadium in 1991, Fenway in 1992, and Camden Yards in 1993, all to see the Tigers. 

This season starts with the hangover of the Houston WS fiasco that changed the attitude of a lot of fans, myself included. Then the public circus of owners vs players as to how and when a season would be played. Now teams are voting to not play. This season has been a mess from day one.

As a fan, I am losing interest in MLB. It’s not a conscious effort at all. It’s a culmination of a lot of things. I’ve never lived in a city with a MLB franchise so maybe I don’t have that local connection to override all the other distractions. This year has been even worse with the absence of MiLB. The attitude of owners toward minor league franchises has been another set back for my interest in the MLB game. Tough summer so far. 

I think you are rather unique in your view. Not saying there aren’t others like you, but the vast majority of the millions of MLB fans don’t give a **** about minor league baseball or owner/player BS. They care when there is a strike. But when games get started, that all melts away. Most couldn’t even tell you who rob Manfred is. 

26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Let the faux solidarity with athletes commence!

Will someone think of the fans?  

I am wondering if people have discovered that there are other things to do in life than watching sports?  For instance, the hiking trails and bike paths have been flooded with people this year and it's not letting up.  I see a lot more people outside.  I think it's possible, sports might lose some spectators.  I am not saying they will, just that I don't think it's a given they all come back.  Avid fans like us will be back, but there are lot of people who watch sports just because it's the thing to do.  They might turn to other things.   The Covid experience has been a really huge deal which I think could change the lifestyles of some percentage of people.  I also don't think normalcy is going to return so quickly. Some will get back to it sooner than others.  There is not going to a moment of celebration where everybody feels good.  It is going to be a different timeline for everyone.